Chit Chat
Options

Anti-vax (funny)

Re: Anti-vax (funny)

• Options
    DYING. (Figuratively, not literally. Because my parents got me vaccinated.)
    This made me choke on my water.  Well played.
  • Options
    Stealing the last one to post on FB. So good.

• Options
    Pro-disease is my favorite. 

Call it what it is, y'all. 

• Options
    I'm loving that Stephen Colbert Quote.
  • Options
    This makes me sad. Way to put it into perspective. 
  • Options
    My best friend and I raged about this this weekend. Her brother has autism. She does not. They were given the exact same vaccines. So based on that, vaccines don't cause autism. However he was given soy formula while she was breastfed. So we're pretty soy causes autism. Because this basically what anti-vaxxers are saying. Based on nothing science related...this is fact.
  • Options
    That polar bear one is fantastic

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    These are so true and so sad at the same time.  Anti-vaxxers infuriate me so much!
  • Options
    I am so sorry about your nephew @MadHops21.  That is so frustrating!  I know, that is a huge reason why this infuriates me so much!  What about those that can't get vaccinated, such as those that are immunocompromised or not old enough yet?  For those that do not have immunocompromised children, not getting your kid vaccinated could kill or dangerously harm those that can't get vaccinated!  I just do not understand that mentality of not realizing that!  How can you willingly put other people's children in harms way?  How can you just say, whatever they will be fine, and knowingly do that?!  Like you said, @MadHops21, those that can't get vaccinated rely on the herd immunity to protect them!  Argh, it just makes me so angry!  Diseases that were erradicated years ago!

I just want to tell them that their child is NOT the only child in the world.  What you do or don't do to your child has an effect on other individuals!  Anyone with an immune system that is compromised could be fatally ill due to individuals not vaccinating their children!  Your child does NOT live in a bubble!  I believe that your right to make decisions for you child stops when that decision could potentially harm others!  Vaccinate your children!!

/rant
  • Options
    kmbay84 Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhh I cannot stand these people. One girl from HS went and got pregnant (she wanted to prove to everyone that she could be a better parent than her mom was to her) and now she has a child that she refuses to vaccinate. She's letting him choose his own gender, fine whatever, but for the vaccination, I cannot stand. 

People don't bother to read anything. The only one article that was published about vaccinations causing autism was done by a guy who was proven wrong and paid for student's blood samples and did everything illegal. THAT'S who you believe? Over years and years of scientific published studies? 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options

A family friend's small child has cancer.  Good news - all signs point to her surviving and living an amazing life!

Bad news - she can't get vaccinated because her immune system is too compromised.  And now the parents need to live in constant fear that their already sick daughter will get measles or something because these student parents would rather listen to Jenny McCarthy than an actual medical doctor.  It makes me so sick and ever more sad.

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    You know, I haven't read up on the letting the child choose their own gender thing, but it seems so OTT.

Am I bad if I plan on giving my child the toys/clothes/whatever usually assigned to their gender but also plan on keeping an eye on if they enjoy something different.

I don't really feel like grooming my future children for a lifetime of outcastness. If they end up not the standard gender/sexual orientation/ whatever than I plan on providing and supporting them. But I'm not going to buy my sons a million barbies before knowing if they like that stuff. Just for the sake of being open-minded.

My parents bought my little sister legos and trucks and stuff, because that's what she liked. They found that out because she didn't like the barbies I had. 

Am I being anti-gender fluidity if I go with the most likely choice for my kid's toys and clothes and then change if it they seem unhappy? Is this whole post closeminded and offensive? Does gender really have an influence on the things they will like? Or is this societal grooming?

I just feel it's better to give a child SOMETHING to start with so they know if they don't like it. 

Either tell me my thinking is okay or tell me why I should make my child gender neutral until they are old enough to decide for themselves. Because I don't really know if this is okay?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I had to be on a delayed vaccination schedule. My parents were crazy careful with letting me around other kids because I wasn't up to date on my vaccines. Both to protect me and to protect them.

Of course my parents, who were teenagers, also acknowledged that doctors knew more then them. 
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    You know, I haven't read up on the letting the child choose their own gender thing, but it seems so OTT.

Am I bad if I plan on giving my child the toys/clothes/whatever usually assigned to their gender but also plan on keeping an eye on if they enjoy something different.

I don't really feel like grooming my future children for a lifetime of outcastness. If they end up not the standard gender/sexual orientation/ whatever than I plan on providing and supporting them. But I'm not going to buy my sons a million barbies before knowing if they like that stuff. Just for the sake of being open-minded.

My parents bought my little sister legos and trucks and stuff, because that's what she liked. They found that out because she didn't like the barbies I had. 

Am I being anti-gender fluidity if I go with the most likely choice for my kid's toys and clothes and then change if it they seem unhappy? Is this whole post closeminded and offensive? Does gender really have an influence on the things they will like? Or is this societal grooming?

I just feel it's better to give a child SOMETHING to start with so they know if they don't like it. 

Either tell me my thinking is okay or tell me why I should make my child gender neutral until they are old enough to decide for themselves. Because I don't really know if this is okay?
    I played with my Barbies, and I also played in the dirt and water on the curb with a guy next door with his toy trucks and cars. I wasn't restricted to one gender type, but I wasn't given gender neutral toys. I think this baby will really grow up as an outcast because of his mother, and I feel bad, but I don't think his mother has the right to let him decide everything when he's older, like which gender to be and if he wants to be vaccinated. 

Parents have to be some sort of guide, but his mom is just really clothing him and feeding him. It feels wrong. 
  • Options
    I just watched an episode of SVU last night where an 11 month old died because she wasn't old enough for vaccines and was exposed to a 5 year old with measles at the playground. They charged the mom of the 5 year old for like murder due to negligence but in the end the jury found her not guilty. I was actually upset at the episode because I wanted her to be guilty and I wonder if that has been a case in real life.

• Options
    I'm already playing through imminent family drama in my head of when I make it known that my cousin's unvaccinated kids are not going to be allowed anywhere near my pending spawn when the time comes. You haven't been vaccinated? You're not allowed in my house til my baby is.

And @larrygaga I don't see anything wrong with that plan. Heck, Brad and Angie still dress the other girls in dresses despite Shiloh asking to be raised as a boy.

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Well I wouldn't buy a daughter a million barbies either, because she might not like them. I think children just like toys in general. I have no problem with a son having a baby doll or a daughter playing with trucks.

Why wouldn't you buy a girl legos? I think most toys are for all children. Society makes toys "boy toys" or "girl toys", most kids just want to play. I also think it's more acceptable for girls to play with "boy" toys than boys playing with "girl" toys, which I find really sad.

I would not raise my kid gender neutral though. I would dress my hypothetical daughter in dresses, but not my son, for example.

This is one of the reasons I hate the color pink. Girls can wear any color, but no one puts a boy in pink. 

• Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    larrygaga said:

I don't think you're being closed-minded or wrong. In my experience, kids make their preferences known really early in life. It would be shitty to force barbies on a girl who hates them, or to deprive barbies from a boy who wants them, but I don't think it does anyone any favors to operate on the assumption that a child needs to decide their gender independently of their family/society. When you think about it, that's actually a huge burden to put on a kid. 

Considering that statistically speaking, most people identify themselves as being the gender that typically "corresponds" to their biological sex, I don't think it's cruel for parents to operate on that assumption until their kids tells them otherwise. I do think it's a good idea to offer children options, and to give them the opportunity to play with both "girl toys" and "boy toys," and I also think it's a good idea to talk to kids about the gender roles they see (once they're old enough). But I fail to see how dressing your biologically female baby in pink will traumatize her in the event she later identifies as a boy. 

I could be way off base here, too, but I'm coming from this as a girl who hated "girly stuff" (but who nevertheless identifies as a woman, and always has). You better believe my parents knew where I stood. 

I think it helped that I was raised by a feminist mother who was interested in saying things like "why do you suppose the boy in that picture has a water gun and the girl has a doll?" But honestly, I can't remember a time in my childhood when I would have naturally chosen a dress over pants, but my sister certainly did. She loved pink and purple and fancy dresses, and guess what--she had the exact same mother I did. I have to think that I would have been just as much of a tomboy no matter who raised me. I just lucked out that my parents were awesome and didn't force negative gender roles on me.

Edited for paragraphs.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    larrygaga said:

Well I wouldn't buy a daughter a million barbies either, because she might not like them. I think children just like toys in general. I have no problem with a son having a baby doll or a daughter playing with trucks.

Why wouldn't you buy a girl legos? I think most toys are for all children. Society makes toys "boy toys" or "girl toys", most kids just want to play. I also think it's more acceptable for girls to play with "boy" toys than boys playing with "girl" toys, which I find really sad.

I would not raise my kid gender neutral though. I would dress my hypothetical daughter in dresses, but not my son, for example.

This is one of the reasons I hate the color pink. Girls can wear any color, but no one puts a boy in pink. 
    My sister and I just had this conversation. I'm getting my niece Anna and Elsa dolls for her birthday. Her little brother, who plays with her all the time, also has a birthday coming up, so I was thinking of getting him Sven the reindeer. H thought I should get him a Kristoff doll to go with my neices dolls. And so for a few hours I went back and forth in my head one the implications of getting my nephew a "doll", versuses if it wasn't just more practical to get him something not exactly like his sisters toys just so he can start to have his own things and own identity. 

Anyway, my sister didn't care either way and we had a fun little exchange where she admitted she calls action figures dolls to piss off other parents. Shit like that brings a family together.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Okay, I'm glad I'm not closeminded. I really try hard not to be, lol!

I liked pretty much everything when I was younger. Now my hobbies include makeup and nails, which I do between my ultra violent videogame loading screens. The computer I built has pink lights when it turns on!

All my friends know if I'm taking a long time to start playing, that my nail polish got fucked up and I'm stopping everything to fix it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I played with Barbies as a kid because my mom liked playing with Barbies. I also had a Batman play set because I was really into Batman...probably because my dad was really into Batman. This is pretty much why I played with anything. Mom/Dad likes playing with X, so I got to play with X. There is something to be said for having parents who just want to relive their childhoods.

I know I didn't have a lot of frilly dresses though. They weren't cheap or practical. I wore a lot of overalls. I mean a lot. And jean skirts. I loved combat boots and cowboy boots. And honestly my parents were too tired to fight with me. If I was dressed and clean, they did not give a shit what I wore.

FI wears pink. He looks really good in pink. He still identifies as a dude. Just a dude who looks good in pink. Oh and purple. He really looks awesome in purple. 
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    Okay, I'm glad I'm not closeminded. I really try hard not to be, lol!

I liked pretty much everything when I was younger. Now my hobbies include makeup and nails, which I do between my ultra violent videogame loading screens. The computer I built has pink lights when it turns on!

All my friends know if I'm taking a long time to start playing, that my nail polish got fucked up and I'm stopping everything to fix it.
    This is exactly me. I'm painting between matches of CoD or Halo, and I yell at them to cover me while I'm in the kitchen, finding Sprite and pizza to eat during the game. My dad encourages the video games actually, he likes the war games I play. Especially since the Xbone has some amazing graphics, so movie like. 

Gaga, if you play Xbox 360 or One, you better send me your gamertag. 
  • Options
    I'm on PC. I sold my xbox for PC parts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I have my Steam and gaming laptop, but never fully converted. I can't get used to the controls. I'm awful in LA Noire, trying to drive around as a cop and hitting pedestrians. 

I bet you're part of that PC Master Race Reddit, aren't you? 

Until a computer can do this, I'm sticking with Xbone.

• Options
    sophhabobophasophhabobopha member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    jenna8984 said: I just watched an episode of SVU last night where an 11 month old died because she wasn't old enough for vaccines and was exposed to a 5 year old with measles at the playground. They charged the mom of the 5 year old for like murder due to negligence but in the end the jury found her not guilty. I was actually upset at the episode because I wanted her to be guilty and I wonder if that has been a case in real life. BOXX
    I loved
    that episode!
    I think that should be standard  protocol .
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    I'm on PC. I sold my xbox for PC parts.

I use both.
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards