Moms and Maids

Junior Bridesmaid

Hello all,

It has come to my attention that my junior bridesmaid has yet to order a dress for my wedding in May. I was told by the dress shop near their house that at this point any dress they order will have to be rush ordered.  Has any one else encountered this? Any advice on dresses for junior bridesmaids that won't take 4 months to come in? I am getting nervous about her not having a dress for the wedding...

Thanks! :)

Re: Junior Bridesmaid

• Hello all,

It has come to my attention that my junior bridesmaid has yet to order a dress for my wedding in May. I was told by the dress shop near their house that at this point any dress they order will have to be rush ordered.  Has any one else encountered this? Any advice on dresses for junior bridesmaids that won't take 4 months to come in? I am getting nervous about her not having a dress for the wedding...

Thanks! :)
    Let her get any dress she chooses in your choice of color at any store she chooses. It doesn't have to be a 'junior bridesmaid' dress.

Andplusalso, please just call her a bridesmaid. It really doesn't matter what her age is; 'junior' is totally unnecessary and probably comes across as patronizing/insulting even though you don't mean it that way.
  • How old is she? I would assume most people who get the totally unnecessary "junior" bridesmaid title are young, like high school or less.Because if she is HS age or younger, is she buying the dress? Talking to her might not do any good if she is not paying, include her parent(s) in the conversation.
  • If they shop at David's Bridal, they are fine to have not purchased a dress yet.  DB dresses come in very quickly, if they don't already have the dress, size, and color already available in store.

Also, depending on the age, your BMs mom maybe trying to prevent the dress from no longer fitting due to a growth sprut.  Or maybe even waiting for after Easter sales.

Lastly, if you just told them to buy a certain color, they could wait until the week before your wedding to go find a dress.

• Have you talked to her (or her and her parents, depending on her age) about not having ordered the dress yet? My vote is to just give her a color and have her wear any dress in that color. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • yogablossomyogablossom member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    She's 9.

And when I was 10, I was in my cousin's wedding as a junior bridesmaid--I was definitely not insulted to be titled as so. I think at 10 I was too enamored with the thought of being in a wedding that I was actually honored to be in his wedding at all.

If she was younger than she is, I'd have her be a flower girl. Obviously if she was in high school I'd just call her a bridesmaid. But she's 9. She's a junior bridesmaid because her mom still makes all the decisions for her and has picked out the dress for her.  Problem has been solved and thank you all for the advice!
  • She's 9.

And when I was 10, I was in my cousin's wedding as a junior bridesmaid--I was definitely not insulted to be titled as so. I think at 10 I was too enamored with the thought of being in a wedding that I was actually honored to be in his wedding at all.

If she was younger than she is, I'd have her be a flower girl. Obviously if she was in high school I'd just call her a bridesmaid. But she's 9. She's a junior bridesmaid because her mom still makes all the decisions for her and has picked out the dress for her.  Problem has been solved and thank you all for the advice!
    Do you refer to the bridesmaids who are older than high-school age as senior bridesmaids?
  • She's wearing a dress and walking up the aisle and (maybe?) carrying a bouquet. How does that not make her a bridesmaid. As I said, regardless of her age, the 'junior' is unnecessary. She knows she's a little girl. You don't need to put in her title.
  • This is truly, a non-issue now. Thank you for your replies.
  • She's 9.

I had two eight year old bridesmaids. They did the exact same thing as the older ladies, so why give them a different title? 
  • yogablossomyogablossom member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    You know what? You're right.  And because I do not want to discriminate against the people I love, I will also include my best friend who also happens to be a man, and who is also on my side of the bridal party under the title of "bridesmaid" as well, since he will be doing exactly the same things as the other bridesmaids. I'm sure he won't mind in the slightest. I really don't want to offend anyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards