Not Engaged Yet

Oh the things he says

What frustrating yet funny things has your BF said concerning becomming engaged? My favorite I've heard from mine was over the past few days...

BF- "We'd be engaged already if I could afford a ring!!"
me - "A ring isn't necessary, it could come later!"
BF- "Yes it is!"

Two days later via email:

BF- "I spent my lunch researching what I want for my desktop computer, time to start saving my pennies :P"
me - *headdesk*

Makes me laugh but also makes me go "UGHH!!!!" :P

I know you all have similar scenarios to share!

Re: Oh the things he says

• lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi edeeg! Do I know you?
    Have you introduced youself before and I missed it?

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. :)

How long have you and BF been together?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    BF could afford a ring right now but since he wants to wait until we are both done with our undergrads he doesn't want to propose until he knows when he will graduate...but he won't go talk to his damn advisor to figure it out!! He drives me crazy sometimes!! We are thinking he only needs 3 more semesters but it could be 4 so he needs to go see his advisor to figure it out.

edited December 2011
    I've heard from Andrew's parent's that our ring jeweler will often put projects on the back burner until you prod him about it. I'll be interested in seeing when andrew starts prodding.

And Andrew's mother is still insisting on introducing me to everyone as his fiance!

::sigh:: Ha. Oh well.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I got my BF a really nice Nikon DSLR camera for his bday last month (saved for months for it).  Then he went out & spent over $300 for a fish-eye lens after I gave it to him.Meanwhile my bday is now coming up in 2 weeks & I picked out a (pre-loved) LV bag that I would really like, so I sent him the ebay link & he said he was trying to spend a little less than that because he's "trying to buy a certain ring".  Well my dear bf, you could have gotten me the bag for my bday AND that ring had you not gone out 3 weeks before my bday to buy yourself a $300 camera lens! 

PS nice to meet you & welcome, I don't think we met yet :)

ETA: wow does that make me sound b!tchy?!

• edited December 2011
    BF has said things like "I could make you really happy today" on days that i'm down or having a rough time at work. As if I don't know exactly  what he's implying...

He's also been rubbing my ring finger with his thumb when we hold hands. I think it's sweet that marriage is obviously on his mind...but it sure does make it hard to keep it off of my mind! At least I know we're both on the same page.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-things-says?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:aede02cb-f54f-4c44-b4a5-78a738b0a635Post:7380f10d-836e-427f-b315-ecc42f180a05">Re: Oh the things he says</a>:
    [QUOTE]BF has said things like "I could make you really happy today" on days that i'm down or having a rough time at work. As if I don't know exactly   what he's implying... <strong>He's also been rubbing my ring finger with his thumb when we hold hands.</strong> I think it's sweet that marriage is obviously on his mind...but it sure does make it hard to keep it off of my mind! At least I know we're both on the same page.
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

CUTE!!
  • Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-things-says?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:aede02cb-f54f-4c44-b4a5-78a738b0a635Post:7380f10d-836e-427f-b315-ecc42f180a05">Re: Oh the things he says</a>:
    [QUOTE]BF has said things like "I could make you really happy today" on days that i'm down or having a rough time at work. As if I don't know exactly   what he's implying... <strong>He's also been rubbing my ring finger with his thumb when we hold hands</strong>. I think it's sweet that marriage is obviously on his mind...but it sure does make it hard to keep it off of my mind! At least I know we're both on the same page.

That is so flippin cute!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edeegedeeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and hi everyone! I'm Erin, I'm 25 and my BF is 27 (in two weeks.) We've been together over 2 years.

I'm moving in with him in a few months, sometime before next spring. Really it just depends on when his roommate decides to move out because that bedroom will turn into our office.

And of course having the office means new computer, lol.
    edited December 2011
    Living together will be a good experiene, IMO. You really learn about someone after living with them. (You learn even more about them when you move in with their and they are trying to find a job! Erm...)

What do you both do for a living?
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Rdr- no.  Rings are important :p
    OP- Welcome.  You should post an intro thread!
    Boys are silly.  They don't think about things the way we do.  I say talk to him.  Tell him he is giving you mixed signals and you don't understand.  Have you guys talked about a timeline? 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    The BF and I don't talk too much about saving for a ring or anything like that.  He does mention every so often things like we have the rest of our lives , ect, ect.  Last week my mom offered me her engagement, I let the BF and didn't act uncomfortable or go running! lol  I would love to wear a ring passed down from my mom.  It's a gorgeous ring.  So hopefully now, he doesn't feel the pressure tp save adn buy me a ring.  Time will tell.  Nice to meet you Erin.  
    Few questions do you like Harry Potter?
    Have  favorite alcoholic drink or non alcoholic drink?

Anniversary

• cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-things-says?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:aede02cb-f54f-4c44-b4a5-78a738b0a635Post:49ed62a7-12ff-4c27-9556-707e409b95ec">Re: Oh the things he says</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my BF a really nice Nikon DSLR camera for his bday last month (saved for months for it).  Then he went out & spent over $300 for a fish-eye lens after I gave it to him.Meanwhile my bday is now coming up in 2 weeks & I picked out a (pre-loved) LV bag that I would really like, so I sent him the ebay link & he said he was trying to spend a little less than that because he's "trying to buy a certain ring".  Well my dear bf, you could have gotten me the bag for my bday AND that ring had you not gone out 3 weeks before my bday to buy yourself a $300 camera lens!  PS nice to meet you & welcome, I don't think we met yet :) ETA:<strong> wow does that make me sound b!tchy?!</strong>
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think it makes you sound b!tchy... My BF does random stuff like that. Buys hundreds of dollars worth of random workout equipment that he rarely, if ever uses, but then talks about needing to save money for the wedding. Random...</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Phew ok good. I went back & read my post & was afraid I came off the wrong way haha :)

Edeeg - do you watch TV? Favorite shows? Last movie you saw in the theaters?

• lhinton024lhinton024 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My boyfriend does the same exact thing! Tells me he would propose if he had the money for a ring...and then mentions randomly how much money he has saved up (more than enough for a ring, in my opinion). oh, and he asked me what I thought about him buying a motorcycle the other day with the money he's saved up. aghhhhh, haha. glad I'm not alone!
  • elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Mine does the same thing. He always tells me how he is saving for a ring or has to save for a ring, but then he buys or talks about buying stuff like external harddrives and ham radio equipment.

I just like to think he already bought the ring, which is why he has to save for these things, lol. I like thinking about it that way better. It still doesn't make me any closer to getting it, but makes me feel better for some reason.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edeegedeeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lunar - I am an accountant about to start studying for the CPA exam. Undecided He is a senior in college getting a software engineering degree and works as a programmer. He's been stressed about not being done with school yet, but I keep reminding him he was in the Army which ate up a few years (before I met him but man I love looking at his Army photos!!) Wink

raven - We have sort of an unoffical timeline, like we know we want to be together forever and I'm moving in soon. This fall and winter will be hectic since I will be studying for the CPA exam and he will be in his final year of college, and I don't expect ANYTHING until after he has graduated... but wouldn't it be nice to have a surprise!  In January he said "Within the next year!" but I didn't take that as anything official.

danser- I never really got into the Harry Potter craze. I've only seen the first 2 movies and haven't read any of the books. I know if I read one I would be hooked though, so maybe when I'm done with the CPA exam!! My favorite alcoholic drink is beer... and not that light crap! The darker the better! Sam Adams is my favorite since they have so many varieties. I've been trying a lot of dark craft beers lately too. My fave "fancy date night" drink is a nice glass of Cabernet or Shiraz. My fave nonalcoholic? COFFEE!

rdr- I don't watch that much tv, and I rarely watch TV live anymore. My favorite show is Chuck, it's the only show I've ever really gotten into and the only show where I CANNOT miss an episode. I DVR a lot of random crap though (think TLC), and I like to watch American Pickers and Pawn Stars with my BF. I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Black Swan.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_oh-things-says?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:aede02cb-f54f-4c44-b4a5-78a738b0a635Post:7380f10d-836e-427f-b315-ecc42f180a05">Re: Oh the things he says</a>:
    [QUOTE]BF has said things like "I could make you really happy today" on days that i'm down or having a rough time at work. As if I don't know exactly   what he's implying... <strong>He's also been rubbing my ring finger with his thumb when we hold hands</strong>. I think it's sweet that marriage is obviously on his mind...but it sure does make it hard to keep it off of my mind! At least I know we're both on the same page.

BF does this and it drives me nuts! He doesn't really say anything that drives me crazy its the leaning to ties his shoes trick, rubbing the finger and still not having the ring sized things that are driving me nuts!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

OP, your avatar pic reminds me of Miss Piggy for some reason.

Also I just wanted to give you a high five for your sane reply to Krusty's post about unofficially engaged and all that. I like new normal people.

My BF hasn't even started school yet, so like yours he says he always feels behind. So kudos to your BF for working on that! It must be weird being back in school after being out of it for a little while.

• edeegedeeg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yeesh, unofficially engaged makes me cringe. I don't really get the rush. Yes I would LOVE to be engaged to him, but I know it will come someday and I will probably be completely surprised. I don't want to wish it away!

I really want my BF to have his moment... whenever it happens. He even told me I'm not allowed to pick a ring. I'm only allowed to give suggestions, and my suggestion of no ring until later doesn't count, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards