Chit Chat
Options

Dear Calorie-Counter (rant)

So you've decided to count your calories. Good for you! I am very happy for you and your calorie counting abilities. 

What I'm not happy about is the fact that you feel the need to announce the caloric content of everything I'm eating. If I want to know, I will look on the package. You do not need to announce it loudly. If I care, I will keep track of it myself. No need to shame me because I just treated myself to five (yes, five) servings of gummy candy. Also, you are about ten sizes bigger than I am so obviously the diet & exercise choices I've made on my own aren't treating me too badly. 

End rant. 

Re: Dear Calorie-Counter (rant)

• Options
    I count calories and still fucking hate it when someone announces the number of calories in something I'm eating. It's rude and obnoxious.

• Options
    Oh hellllllllllllllll no. 

• Options
      I've never been around people who do that.   How rude.

I count calories.  DH is overweight.  I've never done that to him.   I don't even see the point.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    "Oh wow, this snack I'm having is only 100 calories? Sweet!" = Okay.

"You're having that? You know it's like 10000 calories, right?" = DOUCHENUGGET.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    This is super rude.  People need to not talk about other peoples food. 

I must say I get just as annoyed that people feel the need to mock my apple while i try avoiding the office cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

When I read your post the first time through, I thought you were talking about the FitBit or other wristband devices. I was horrified that an electronic device would actually announce your calories out loud to everyone around you and decided I never wanted to one of those things.

Then I realized you were talking about an actual person. I need more coffee. Or sleep.

But yeah - people that do that can shut their mouths and keep their information to themselves.

• Options

I must say I get just as annoyed that people feel the need to mock my apple while i try avoiding the office cake. 
    Agreed. Really commenting on what I'm choosing to eat at all is rude as hell.

• Options
    edited February 2015

When I read your post the first time through, I thought you were talking about the FitBit or other wristband devices. I was horrified that an electronic device would actually announce your calories out loud to everyone around you and decided I never wanted to one of those things.

Then I realized you were talking about an actual person. I need more coffee. Or sleep.

But yeah - people that do that can shut their mouths and keep their information to themselves.

Haha me too! I was like, "Well that's embarrassing as hell, I'm never buying one of those!"

But let me tell you something. Zaxby's fudge brownie milkshake has like 1500 calories, and it's worth every. damn. one of them.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Oh hellllllllllllllll no. 
    ^ THIS.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

I used to eat a lot of Lean Cuisines for lunch at work. I am a pretty average sized, normal size 6 woman.

People used to come over while I was at the microwave and shame me for eating Lean Cuisines, saying I needed to eat something with more fat on it and "put meat on my bones".

It irritated me to no end. Calling people too thin is just as bad as fat-shaming and it isn't your business anyway.
    I must admit, I silently judge LC and other such frozen "diet" meals for the salt content.  But I would NEVER say so to someone or comment about it to them.  Plug your arteries; raise your BP, it's no concern to me.  (Unless you have a heart attack and now I have to do your job while you're out recovering...)
  • Options

This is why I avoid our break room at all costs. I hate when people ask what I'm eating and comment about how it's weird or interesting. Ok, well you aren't eating it so mind ya business. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    My office is awful for this too. Any time I turn down food it's "you don't need to lose weight and your wedding isn't until May anyway!" Yeah, and if I pig out until then I'm not gonna be able to zip my dress...so you all can zip it, not my dress but your damn mouths. I think they think that dieting for a week before an event is sufficient to lose all the weight you need, or something.

As it is, I have a blanket ban on office food. I don't eat at work, period, because I'm pretty tired of people's comments on the subject (and their vulturing over the leftovers from my catered meetings...like, can you stop hovering over my shoulder while I'm trying to put stuff away? I know you're dying to fill your face but if you wait like 45 seconds it'll still be here.)

I will admit, however, that I derive great joy from telling FI (who eats like 3500 calories a day and still has six-pack abs, I hate him) exactly how many calories and grams of fat he's got on his plate. He takes it as a point of pride, though, because for him it's a struggle to get enough, not to have too much. Lucky jerk.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "Oh, you decided to have that for lunch? hm. Ok."

OMG SHUT UP I HATE YOU. I hate eating lunch at work. There's a fair amount of judgment there. Part of it is because they know I'm trying, so they're trying to help...kind of. I think.
  • Options
    My co-workers love to comment on what I eat for lunch as well. But I recently discover the library on the first floor of the building I work in doesn't care if I eat my lunch in there so I go find a corner of the library to hang out in for an hour and eat lunch there. I'm surrounded by books and nobody comments on my food, perfect lunch IMO.

• Options
    rcher912 said:
    "Oh, you decided to have that for lunch? hm. Ok."

OMG SHUT UP I HATE YOU. I hate eating lunch at work. There's a fair amount of judgment there. Part of it is because they know I'm trying, so they're trying to help...kind of. I think.
    So your not suppose to eat? Ya that is the way to diet. People suck. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I think someone mentioned the Pizza I was eating at work and how I'm getting married soon and I just stuffed my face with it and silently stared at her until she got uncomfortable.

My dress came in and I'm terrified it won't fit so eat 6 servings for me

Thank god my office mates don't care what I eat except comment on how good it looks. I'm just now starting to get comfortable with eating in front of people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    ElcaB said:
    So you've decided to count your calories. Good for you! I am very happy for you and your calorie counting abilities. 

What I'm not happy about is the fact that you feel the need to announce the caloric content of everything I'm eating. If I want to know, I will look on the package. You do not need to announce it loudly. If I care, I will keep track of it myself. No need to shame me because I just treated myself to five (yes, five) servings of gummy candy. Also, you are about ten sizes bigger than I am so obviously the diet & exercise choices I've made on my own aren't treating me too badly. 

End rant. 
    Ok, you know I'm totally with you here, no one should be making any comments on your food choices. It's total bullshit.

But someone's size doesn't mean their eating habits and exercise habits are healthy/unhealthy.
  • Options
    People at my office always comment that I'm always eating too much.  F off.  I snack on things like carrots, celery and hummus every couple of hours, but it's never more than I should be eating.  It's not like I'm finishing off a whole tub of hummus three times a day. 

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I know I might take heat for this:
     I'm counting calorie right now. It works for me, I feel great.

My boss is constantly bitching about her weight, how she feels fat and wants to lose weight.

One day she asked me what i was doing. She responded with a sour face when I explained counting calories-- as if she thought I just decided to lose weight and it fell off with no effort on my part. I was annoyed but didn't try to push it onto her, just let it go. 

Then a few days later she comes in and announces to everyone she hired a dietitian and is counting calories because she needs to lose weight. And she's tired of being fat.

I've bit my tongue but side-eyed her every morning when she comes in (late) with some sort of breakfast sandwich and then gets McDonalds or Taco Bell for lunch.

Edit: paragraphs 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

I used to eat a lot of Lean Cuisines for lunch at work. I am a pretty average sized, normal size 6 woman.

People used to come over while I was at the microwave and shame me for eating Lean Cuisines, saying I needed to eat something with more fat on it and "put meat on my bones".

It irritated me to no end. Calling people too thin is just as bad as fat-shaming and it isn't your business anyway.
    I must admit, I silently judge LC and other such frozen "diet" meals for the salt content.  But I would NEVER say so to someone or comment about it to them.  Plug your arteries; raise your BP, it's no concern to me.  (Unless you have a heart attack and now I have to do your job while you're out recovering...)
    oh, note I said USED TO. Back when I was right out of college and didn't know better/didn't care/was too lazy to cook. 

I havent actually touched them in years.
  • Options
    I've been avoiding the staff room lately, cos it's just so damn loud.  And someone has been nuking salmon this week.  It reeks in there.  

My favourite was coming in with my lunches when we were doing our 14 week challenge.  People said they thought I was on a diet and I said we were.  Then they looked at my huge ass plate of food and got confused.  Well, when it's super healthy, you can still eat a lot.  It was tasty chicken cacciatore too.  

• Options
    That is incredibly rude, but I think it's a means of getting attention for the fact that they're counting calories. More power to you if you are, but no one else around you needs to deal with it. 

My work friend used to do this in a bit of a different way which also drove me nuts. She's all of 90 lbs, never needed to work out or diet in her life, but counts calories (I feel) so she can have the attention for counting calories and give people advice. So any time we'd eat together (I'm easily like 30 lbs more than her) she'd say "I can't have  that there's too many calories"

• Options
    my FMIL does this. it is so annoying. come on seriously let us eat what we want. or she complains about something we bought to eat and let her have a piece. like seriously you didnt buy it so shut your mouth
  • Options
    I have a coworker that constantly brags about working out with a trainer and dieting.  She works out with the trainer every week and stays on a diet for maybe a few days.  Then its back to the norm.

You haven't lost a pound and have poor eating habits.  Don't lecture others about what they're having for lunch.  And certainly don't give us a hard time about what we're eating because you're on a diet and "can't eat that"

I hate when she points out to people that I snack all day.  I do but I'm eating for 2.  19 weeks in and have only gained 1lb.  Get off my back and save your lectures for people that care because we don't.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A coworker told me to stop losing weight on Friday. 

My mom called me fat on Sunday. 

You can't win. Eat what you want. 
  • Options
    That's really obnoxious. Not to mention rude.

A little different but a girl I'm friend's with on FB sells Herbalife stuff or whatever. They do dietary supplements/weight loss pills/wraps. She posted a picture on Instagram of a scale at 150 lbs and made a collage with weekly progress. Going down to 120 in 6 weeks.

Someone commented on it and said, "Dang Steph, you were a fatty." And she was serious. In what fucking universe is 150 lbs fat?!

• Options
    emmaaa said:

A little different but a girl I'm friend's with on FB sells Herbalife stuff or whatever. They do dietary supplements/weight loss pills/wraps. She posted a picture on Instagram of a scale at 150 lbs and made a collage with weekly progress. Going down to 120 in 6 weeks.

Someone commented on it and said, "Dang Steph, you were a fatty." And she was serious. In what fucking universe is 150 lbs fat?!
    In the female universe.

I was watching an episode of Bones (like...season 1 or 2 it was an earlier episode) and the victim was 5'8 and Bones says to Angela "You're 5'8, how much do you weigh" and Angela is like "Um, 128 (or something close to that)...but most of it is muscle!" and I'm like....you're 5'8...that's a lower weight for someone of your height. 

I think all women are supposed to weigh in at 100lbs. And be a size 0. 

But also have an ass like Beyonce. And I'm not sure how to do those 2 things at once.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

Someone commented on it and said, "Dang Steph, you were a fatty." And she was serious. In what fucking universe is 150 lbs fat?!k
    I would like to punch that person in the junk. If I weighed 150 pounds with my body type, I would look like Skeletor with tits. 
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards