DIY Wedding Forum

Help! What are these flowers?

Ok, so I'm clueless about flowers in general.  Can anyone tell me what kinds of flowers are in either of these pictures, and possibly how much they would cost (I know it can depend if they're in season - our wedding is the beginning of october, 2016)?  I want to DIY my centerpieces and I'm going to be on the hunt anytime I see a sale at the craft stores but I am curious, if these types of flowers are not a whole lot of money I might get quotes from a florist too before I go making anything  

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! What are these flowers?

• Picture 1:
    Roses, ranunculus, hydrangea, mini calla lilies, lisianthus, hypericum berries

Picture 2:
    Hydrangea, freesia, ranunculus, hypericum berries

Are you looking to buy these in artificial?  If so, that really depends on your craft stores, the sales they have going on, or what website you order them from.

• Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I haven't decided yet on artificial or fresh - I am assuming artificial will be cheaper but I think I need to sit down and add up how much DIY will cost me vs having a florist do them

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there! I'm actually writing an article for a regional bridal magazine about buying flowers vs. DIYing them. Often, artificial/silk flowers can be just as expensive as live ones, and there's the added annoyance of having to arrange them yourself. It's harder than it looks! Artificial flowers often don't carry the same look as the real deal.

I made fabric flowers for my wedding...I can try to upload photos if you're interested but it has taken a LOT of work and a lot of fabric/hot glue :)

My advice would be to get quotes from several florists in your area. Check out the smaller shops, especially; bigger chain florists have a lot more overhead and often have corporate pricing structures.

Ranunculus and lillies are gonna be a bit more pricey, but a good florist can recommend more budget-friendly alternatives to everything.
  • I'm also thinking of DIY-ing my bouquets with roses & hydrangeas. My wedding is in September. Hydrangeas are way more expensive than roses (that I've priced out, through Costco), but they're also bigger, so you need fewer flowers to get a full look.

If you're thinking of DIY-ing with fresh flowers, I definitely recommend pricing out Costco and globalrose.com - I've found both to be really budget-friendly, and they've gotten good reviews around here!
  • Hi there! I'm actually writing an article for a regional bridal magazine about buying flowers vs. DIYing them. Often, artificial/silk flowers can be just as expensive as live ones, and there's the added annoyance of having to arrange them yourself. It's harder than it looks! Artificial flowers often don't carry the same look as the real deal.

I made fabric flowers for my wedding...I can try to upload photos if you're interested but it has taken a LOT of work and a lot of fabric/hot glue :)

My advice would be to get quotes from several florists in your area. Check out the smaller shops, especially; bigger chain florists have a lot more overhead and often have corporate pricing structures.

Ranunculus and lillies are gonna be a bit more pricey, but a good florist can recommend more budget-friendly alternatives to everything.
    The bolded is so true. I went with my sister to look for artificial flowers for her friend's wedding (friend was getting married on an island where the type of flowers she really wanted were not available, so it seemed like the cheapest option was to bring fake ones with in a suitcase). 

We found some very pretty ones that actually looked real, but it was something like $15 per flower, which is just insane. It would have cost thousands just for the girls' bouquets. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards