April 2015 Weddings

Are we late (invitations)?

We are getting married April 25th in Ohio. To most of my family particularly my moms, step moms, and fiance's family the venue (both ceremony and reception are in the same location) the farthest that someone would have to drive would be 1.5-2 hours away in the same state. My dad is from North Carolina and most of his family still reside in NC or the surrounding area Virginia, my sister lives in Colorado, but she is my MOH and I'm not too concerned on her, and a cousin in Seattle. My dad as far as his family goes said that out of his family only 1 or 2 of his brothers or sisters out of the 5-6 would show up due to other family constraints and same with my cousins on that side would unlikely show due to distance.

Needless to say, I am just working on packaging up our invitations for our wedding, with an rsvp date of March 28 as our venue has a rsvp date of April 4th. Am I late on sending these out? I also don't want to be too late as our blocks on the hotels are only good until March 24th and March 4th due to a big soccer tournament the weekend of our wedding and all hotels were mostly booked when I tried to make the blocks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are we late (invitations)?

• Nope - 6 to 8 weeks before your wedding is the norm.  My wedding is April 18, I've sent out the invites with an RSVP date of March 27.  That gives us a week before the numbers are due for catering.  

• No but keep in mind if you are having your invites hand cancelled it takes more time to get to where it's going. We sent ours out last Wednesday (wedding on the 18th rsvp deadline or March 27th same as pp) and people 10 miles away still haven't received their invites. Only one has been received and they live 30 miles away and it took 4 days when it usually only takes 1. So wouldn't wait until the last minute if you are hand cancelling or have specialty shapes especially since your room blocks have an end date a month ahead of the wedding.
  • Nope, not late at all. We're hand-canceling and planning to get them out in the next 1.5 weeks, getting married April 25, RSVP April 4 (final numbers due to the caterer April 21), and hotel block ending March 25. I just need stamps and mine are ready to go.
  • You are fine, especially if you sent STD's. I sent my invites out at the beginning of this month just to get them out of the way since the rest of the month is crazy busy for me 
  • What does hand-canceling mean?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @caitlinmca, hand-canceling means they'll cancel your stamps at the counter by hand instead of running your envelopes through the sorting and canceling machine. Mine need hand canceling because of the rhinestones on them - they won't go through the machine.
  • Thanks! When FI took a finished invitation to the post office to get weighted to see how much postage they would each cost he said something about postage but because they are a little bulky they might charge an up charge like .20 for that so the 70 cent stamps would be better and may not go through the sorter. I didn't ask for hand-canceling on them so I don't know what they will do, they aren't and odd shaped envelope the normal shape just bulky inside.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If they won't go through the sorter, they'll need to be hand canceled. That's why they're upcharging to the 70 cent stamps - there's a 21 cent charge for "odd" mail. I got dinged twice on it because I couldn't get my invites to 1.0 oz or less and they need hand-canceling, so I'm at 91 cents (I just stuck two "Forever" stamps on them with post office blessing - hell, it's only 7 cents over per envelope anyway!).
  • I hope not, because I have the same wedding date and mine haven't gone out yet! lol I think as long as they go out in the next two weeks or so you should be fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All of my invites have gone out, most went out this past week Wednesday I believe and the rest just were picked up by my mailman at 5ish today.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No. Ours went out this past Saturday and we're getting married the same day as you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards