Moms and Maids

Dress for pregnant bridesmaid

Help!  My bridesmaid just informed me that she's pregnant and I am ecstatic for her!  My issue is the bridesmaids dresses.  She had told me that she was going to wait until after the wedding to start trying so I went ahead and made the dresses and didn't think twice.  Obviously, things happen and that's totally cool but I'm trying to come up with ideas now of how to alter the dress rather than waiting till the week of the wedding and stressing over it.  She's going to be 7-8 months at the wedding and it's her first child so we have no idea how big she'll be.  The dresses are infinity dresses made with a spandex material so that's a plus.  I guess the question is whether it's possible to wear the waistband of the dress below her belly or if it will need to be on top.  The dresses are knee length so I'll have to find a classy way to add more material to the bottom if she can't wear it below the belly.  Advice please?

Re: Dress for pregnant bridesmaid

• Do you have a picture of the dress?
  • It's hard to say without a photo. I don't think a waistband below the belly would be very flattering, though. Is there any way you could make it into an empire waist?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just gave birth, and if anyone had put me in spandex two months ago with a band under the belly, oh NO. It may be best to buy a maternity dress in the same color. But if you want to try an alteration, okay.

It may be that you will need more material . My understanding is that infinity dress designs are one dress slightly altered in wrap or cut that can be worn different ways, yes?
    As someone who sees and has done lots of alterations, the best way I know to alter a dress that is loosely structured is:

Go to mccall. Com and look at patterns M7081. Under the pink dress are line drawings.

the alteration is going to make a surplice style empire waist maternity cut dress of the infinity dress , by adding a midriff band. Do this by
    cutting it 3 inches below the bust in front and 2 inches below that same place in back, tapering at the sides.

Determine this by having bm wear dress in simple unbelted style, and tying a cord under the bustline and around the back. Mark that line with tailor tacks. See below for tailor tacks.

Now use Cutrite waxed paper to make a pattern.

You cut a midriff band , a straight one for the back at least 3 inches finished width top to bottom plus seam allowances, the size of her back.

The front midriff band will be curved.at the bottom, and curved on top where it joins the top you cut off.

Draw the front pattern with the same 3 inches at each side where it joins the back, and about 7 inches deep , top to bottom in the center. For four inches on either side of the center it stays 7 inches top to bottom. Then you curve the line slowly up or down until it is only three inches wide at the sides. So you are curving up two inches from side to middle on top, and curving down two inches from side to middle at the bottom, with the center that original three inches..
    Add seam allowances.

Sew a straight loose line you will use to gather the top , on the dress where you marked it under the cord a couple of inches. An inch down sew another straight loose line that you will use to gather the bottom of the dress . Cut the dress apart.

Now sew gathering basting on the bottom of the top and top of the bottom.

Adjust the gathers in the front skirt so it is more gathered over the belly bump.
    Sew the dress back together, gathering top and bottom to fit the midriff band.

Just before the wedding, when her belly is big, mark the hem. If necessary you can add a couple of inches of hem band the same all around, but it should not be necessary if she is not really large.

Honestly, my downstairs neighbor and I both had twins. By 8 months, her waist was 45 inches, 23 more than original size. And I was 38 inches, 15 inches more than before pregnancy. It varies so. I am taller, with a wider pelvis, so smaller belly bump.

But what I described is about standard for a midriff band panel for someone with a 34 to 36 prepregnancy bust. With spandex, you want to allow more fabric rather than too little, so even a 32 - 34 I would add this much. Otherwise the hem will rise up in front too much.

Tailor Tacks are essentially a running stitch done by hand and snipped to mark a place.
    Using a needle and thread not knotted, make markings with tailor tacks, which means putting the needle in and out of the fabric with up to an inch of thread either side, and snip off that thread . That is a marking thread, or tack, you just tug on to remove.

Tie a thin cord all the way around the woman in early state of preg. Right under the bust. Mark around the back, leaving a trail of snipped threads. Take the dress off and either work on an ironing board or with a book or flattish cushion pushed up the dress if you do not have a dress form, when you come to the step of cutting the dress apart.

• It cost me an additional $300.00 to get my daughter's BM dress altered for a family wedding. It was an infinity dress, so there was an extra layer.  I know the dressmaker hosed me, but she basically took out the innermost layer and used that to widen the top layer.  The rows of tulle were still enough coverage.
  • Thanks girls.  Finding another dress in the same color is impossible.  I managed to choose a bright green that no one seems to carry which is the main reason I resorted to making them myself.  I do not have much in the way of extra material so I would have to order more and hope it's from the same bolt and matches.  I had considered adding a ruffle to hers if moving the waistband won't work. 
  • Just as one or two MOH often have a deliberately contrasting dress rather than matching the others, and knowing that Mother Soon will then have a figure totally unlike any of the other women, why not get MS a completely different dress that does not clash, but is merely compatible not matching.

I kind of spelled out the alteration thinking a sewer would see it as easy, but awfully time consuming.

Most pregnant women have one nice going out to party dress in a seventh through ninth month size.
    It is worn several times then never again.
    Could she afford to get just one such dress that is also suitable for your wedding?
  • citybug said:
    Thanks girls.  Finding another dress in the same color is impossible.  I managed to choose a bright green that no one seems to carry which is the main reason I resorted to making them myself.  I do not have much in the way of extra material so I would have to order more and hope it's from the same bolt and matches.  I had considered adding a ruffle to hers if moving the waistband won't work. 
    I don't think a 7 or 8 month pregnant woman will be able to wear that dress. And how will your girls wear a bra (pregnant or not)?

• citybug said:
    Thanks girls.  Finding another dress in the same color is impossible.  I managed to choose a bright green that no one seems to carry which is the main reason I resorted to making them myself.  I do not have much in the way of extra material so I would have to order more and hope it's from the same bolt and matches.  I had considered adding a ruffle to hers if moving the waistband won't work. 
    I don't think a 7 or 8 month pregnant woman will be able to wear that dress. And how will your girls wear a bra (pregnant or not)?
    I have an infinity dress that came with a tube top of the same color (although you could easily make one if needed).  Using the tube top plus tying it in certain ways means you could still wear a bra with it if you wanted to. Some infinity dresses also have so much strap material that you can loop them around and tie them in a way that would conceal a bra.   

• levioosa said:
    citybug said:
    I have an infinity dress that came with a tube top of the same color (although you could easily make one if needed).  Using the tube top plus tying it in certain ways means you could still wear a bra with it if you wanted to. Some infinity dresses also have so much strap material that you can loop them around and tie them in a way that would conceal a bra.   
    We had dresses like this for a wedding I was in last year. Two of the ladies were pregnant and this dress style worked really well. Also, I wore a nubra, but there were definitely girls who tied it in a way that concealed regular or strapless bras.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards