Flowers

Blue Dendrobium Orchids Help!

I've never been a huge fan of flowers so I'm not trying to go above and beyond and spend much money on them.  However, I of course want them to look beautiful!  
I'm getting married in September, and my colors are navy blue and ivory with gold accents.  I was thinking of using white Stargazer lilies and white roses with blue delphiniums.  Then I was on Pinterest (of course) and saw blue dendrobium orchids.  I love how vibrant in color they are but was disappointed that they were dyed.  Has anyone worked with these flowers before?  Are they expensive since they have to be dyed?  Does the dye rub off? Any info on these would be much appreciated!

Thanks ladies!

Re: Blue Dendrobium Orchids Help!

• I'm sorry I don't know the answers to those questions, but your florist should. If you haven't contacted one yet, now would be a good time. 

Roses, lilies and orchids are among the most expensive wedding flowers you can get. I'd urge you to talk to a florist and get quotes. If you're not a huge fan of flowers and don't want to spend a lot of money on them, you will probably have to change your vision a bit. 
    *********************************************************************************

• The dye itself isn't expensive (same kind they use to dye cheap daisies), but orchids tend to be, and because they take so long to absorb the dye they're yet more expensive. As long as you don't go deliberately scraping the stems or the petals over your dress, you'll be fine--they're not going to leak dye or anything. If you're really worried, ask that the bottoms of the bouquets are wrapped so the stems don't show, or use a bouquet holder. Or have a cascading bouquet, which is usually made in a floral foam bouquet holder.

The delphinium isn't terribly expensive, but the lilies will be. White asiatic lilies won't have the lovely scent, but they'll be a bit less expensive, and not quite as large, which is actually a bit easier to work with in most floral arrangements. You might also use blue iris, but that's usually considered a spring flower, or cornflowers if you can get them. Blue hydrangea is another good option, though check prices. It's also common to use bluish purples in bouquets for blue weddings, since the flower variety is limited.
  • edited February 2015
    Also, spray roses or lisianthus (often called a "soft rose") instead of regular roses to save a bit.

If you're not attached to roses, I'm a huge fan of the lily-fuji mum combo. The two huge yellow flowers here are an asian lily and a fuji mum, and as you can see they're well matched in size.

But if you love roses, go for them. The most important thing is that you have a bouquet you'll love. Ask your florist what she/he recommends, and you can probably get some other good suggestions that won't break your budget but better fit your vision.
  • Stargazer lilies are very fragrant, too fragrant for me when they are indoors, outside they would be fine. But a business client had sent a centerpiece filled with stargazers in the fall when the heat was going and the secretary was sick from the smell because it was placed close to her desk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards