Budget Weddings Forum

Drinks for the vendors?

Now, I know that you feed your vendors. However, I am sure throughout the night someone is bound to get thirsty! We are having an open bar for our guests and then we pay a different price per child. My question is, do you pay the price of the open bar for the vendors or do you pay for them to get non-alcoholic drinks like you do for the children? I am not sure on the etiquette on your vendors beverages and I have searched everywhere! Thanks!!

Re: Drinks for the vendors?

• Although our vendors received the same meal as our guests, the cost was greatly reduced. The cost was reduced because venue management factored out the cost of the open bar, which vendors would obviously not be participating. Our vendors were able to have soft drinks as part of their vendor meal. I suggest you speak with your venue management to see what options they provide for your vendors.
  • Our venue didn't discount our vendor meals or drinks at all, but I'm pretty sure all of my vendors had at least one alcoholic drink anyways. I would ask your venue how they handle that. They need to at least be able to get water or a coke or something.
  • We paid for meals for our vendors and for non-alcoholic drinks. Our venue only included a meal for our planner.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • It depends on the venue what they do.

We had a full open bar.  We provided all beverages so they just drank what they wanted.   

Where I work now it's a consumption bar so it's just added to the host's tab.   I've work other places with per person open bars we just gave waters and sodas without charging the hosts.

Again it depends on the venue on how they handle vendor drinks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We are paying half price for our vendors.  They don't get alcohol, but they are also on the job- so that makes sense. They do get unlimited soft drinks and water.

Talk to your venue. I think it's crazy to have to pay full price when the vendors are working and won't be consuming alcohol.  
  • Your vendors should not be drinking, they are working. They are paid to be there. My venue had a clause that they would not serve vendors alcohol for the same reason. I paid the under 21 adult meal price for my vendor meals. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Your vendors should not be drinking, they are working. They are paid to be there. My venue had a clause that they would not serve vendors alcohol for the same reason. I paid the under 21 adult meal price for my vendor meals. 

Agreed. I can't sit at my desk right now with a margarita, so they shouldn't either. I know it's a different setting but it's still unprofessional.

• We paid the same price for our vendors as regular adult guests. Couldn't tell you if my DJ drank anything alcoholic or not, I didn't pay attention. Also not sure if my photographer drank any alcohol or not. If they did they were discreet in it and stayed professional all evening.
    While in principle, I agree with this, in practice we knew for sure no matter what we were going to encourage our bagpiper and officiant drink. After all, their duties were done after the ceremony. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    jenna8984 said:
    Your vendors should not be drinking, they are working. They are paid to be there. My venue had a clause that they would not serve vendors alcohol for the same reason. I paid the under 21 adult meal price for my vendor meals. 

Agreed. I can't sit at my desk right now with a margarita, so they shouldn't either. I know it's a different setting but it's still unprofessional.
    I'm reading it as ANY beverage, but not-necessarily an alcoholic one.

Some people have bar packages that are for only non-acholic beverage (typically for kids).   Others have consumption bars even for non-alcholic beverages.

The club I work at we would charge the hosts for any cokes or bottled water a vendor would consume (consumption bars). I worked at another place that was mostly per head bars, if the vendor got a drink we would just give it to them and not charge the host.

I can't say I've had a vendor ask for alcohol.   Well sometimes the wedding planner might, but that was normally at the very end of the night.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited February 2015
    lyndausvi said:

jenna8984 said:

Your vendors should not be drinking, they are working. They are paid to be there. My venue had a clause that they would not serve vendors alcohol for the same reason. I paid the under 21 adult meal price for my vendor meals. 

I'm reading it as ANY beverage, but not-necessarily an alcoholic one.

Some people have bar packages that are for only non-acholic beverage (typically for kids).   Others have consumption bars even for non-alcholic beverages.

The club I work at we would charge the hosts for any cokes or bottled water a vendor would consume (consumption bars). I worked at another place that was mostly per head bars, if the vendor got a drink we would just give it to them and not charge the host.

I can't say I've had a vendor ask for alcohol.   Well sometimes the wedding planner might, but that was normally at the very end of the night.

************eta boxes, grrr**********

I totally meant alcohol, of course they should be given water and other non alcoholic drinks :smile: my under 21 adult meal price included any and all non alcoholic beverages.

Any vendors we invited to stay for the reception who were done working, i.e. the officiant, I paid the over 21 meal price which included alcohol. At that point they are no longer vendors, but our guests.

As a photog I would never drink alcohol on a paid shoot.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards