Chit Chat
Options

40 bags in 40 days decluttering challenge

Re: 40 bags in 40 days decluttering challenge

• Options
    We are going to list the house soon so I've already been decluttering for the last month. Not much left except the huge furniture/ broken grill/ old doors/ old oven that require 1-800-junk

@ashley8918 your closet is huge! You probably don't think it is, but I've never had a walk-in in my whole life. 

• Options
    Mine definitely won't be a Hefty bag full from each area, just 40 areas each de-cluttered. Maybe it's a sandwich baggy worth, maybe a dumpster bag.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    We are going to list the house soon so I've already been decluttering for the last month. Not much left except the huge furniture/ broken grill/ old doors/ old oven that require 1-800-junk

@ashley8918 your closet is huge! You probably don't think it is, but I've never had a walk-in in my whole life. 

Oh, it's fucking massive - which makes it really sad that it is so jam-packed. I have way too much shit. It's almost the size of my kids' bedroom... where there are 2 full-size beds and 2 dressers.
  • Options
    I decluttered and organized already this year because DH was working a lot and I was bored. I've got a couple bags left I need to actually drop off at the appropriate locations.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Good lord, Ashley. Your closet is bigger than our guest bedroom. :) I'm so jealous!

#cityproblems
  • Options
    Mine definitely won't be a Hefty bag full from each area, just 40 areas each de-cluttered. Maybe it's a sandwich baggy worth, maybe a dumpster bag.
    I *think* the general idea is a grocery store bag worth.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    This is a good idea!  I'll be listing my condo beginning of April so I think this would help a lot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Good lord, Ashley. Your closet is bigger than our guest bedroom. :) I'm so jealous!

#cityproblems
    Hahaha, I'd be way more appreciative if the rest of my house wasn't teeny tiny.
  • Options
    I'm giving up soda for Lent. I don't know if I can handle giving up soda AND cleaning 40 different areas of the house. Though H and I are planning to deep clean the kitchen on Saturday.

I also have more clothes to go to goodwill

Also not Catholic, grew up Methodist and we did it, so I try to every year do at least something. I don't always succeed though.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Could I play? there's a very big chance over the coming couple of months we are going to be moving I have a lot of stuff that I don't need. I don't think I own 40 bags of stuff I can part with and a husband whose a worse hoarder than me to persuade we don't need battered old plates and other junk but I'll certainly try! !
  • Options

My last purge 2 weeks ago, I finally decided to part with my college comforter. We have 3 other newer ones in the guest closet and just don't need it taking up space. I almost shed a tear when H just threw it on the snowy ground next to the donation bin! It was sealed in one of those cases a new comforter comes in but still, it was so sad!!

• Options
    strange how you grow an attachment. I'm awful with new pillows so mine are shameful
  • Options
    I can always purge more, but DH purged most of his stuff when he moved in to my old house before we got married.  We purged a lot more stuff last spring after the wedding (making room for gifts) and staging the old house for sale.  Then we purged MORE when we moved into the new house in May.  Even though it was a bigger house some of our old stuff didn't fit anywhere so it got donated too.

I can get on board with some organization though.  I like organizing!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Can I join a day late? I need to do this SO badly.

I am definitely ashamed of this... there are two boxes at the bottom of my closet that I still haven't unpacked from when DF and I moved in together... in August.

I'm definitely going to make a list of the 40 spaces that need to be de-cluttered. I'm going to have to miss a few days, we're out of town for two weddings over Lent, but I'll just tack the days on to the end.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hmm, I really like this idea. We've been in our house almost six months. We got most of the house but never got to the guest room so that is where boxes are living. Then FI finally cleaned out his condo a couple months ago and he put everything in the garage, which means our garage is half full of stuff as well. I think maybe a de-clutter commitment would be good for me... My sense is if I've done without something this long I probably don't need it anymore. 
  • Options

I am definitely ashamed of this... there are two boxes at the bottom of my closet that I still haven't unpacked from when DF and I moved in together... in August.

I'm definitely going to make a list of the 40 spaces that need to be de-cluttered. I'm going to have to miss a few days, we're out of town for two weddings over Lent, but I'll just tack the days on to the end.
    Girl. I have boxes that I've moved to two homes now without unpacking them. I moved in with H in September of 2013, and had lived in my condo for 3 years before that.

• Options
    I have a storage bin of clothes with tags, that have never fit. BC one day I will fit in them...right. Ten years later I probably should give it up, but it's just so damn hard. 

I'm afraid I'll be 90, finally skinny enough and looking like a fool walking around in low rise Guess leather pants. At least people will probably just be nice and assume I have dementia. 

You can join the purge party at any time! Today, tomorrow, day 39!

I cleaned the living room side table - the dreaded mail table. I put a bag of magazines in the recycling and tonight when I take the recycling bin to the curb, I hope to make myself recycle the stack of Shutterbugs I have never cracked open. So many trees, no much clutter!

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

I need to jump on this bandwagon. I cleaned out my closet in the beginning of January and it felt SO good. I got rid of so many old clothes and shoes that I couldn't believe I was still hanging on to. I also tried a trick I've heard on organization blogs before - turned all of my hangers in my closet backwards. You flip them around as you wear items. Anything that's still on a backwards hanger in 6 months (I'm choosing 6 months - some people do a year) gets tossed or donated because you're likely never going to wear it again. It's been a month and a half and I can already tell I'm going to have a ton of clothes to donate.

I'm going to go through our guest bedroom this weekend and pretty much throw out or donate everything. I've got all of my leftover wedding stuff in there and other crap that doesn't have a place in our house. It's become a catchall room. If I can get that accomplished, I will finally be able to paint in there!

• Options
    I'd like to join too. A day late, but I'm sure I can make it up. I also probably won't have 40 bags because I did a big purge after Christmas (when I was off of work) and I have been working on only having things I actually use. I will focus on 40 areas that need to be organized. There are some places in FI's place I've been meaning to clean/organize for awhile.

But I also need to pack my apartment for when I officially move into FI's place at the end of April. Which means I will be making a lot of decisions about whether I really need stuff. Some of this stuff I haven't seen since I basically moved into FI's place in December - which means we probably don't need it.
  • Options
    I LOVE this sort of thing. I HATE clutter and unnecessary shit and I love to throw shit away. I love to move because then I get to go through all our old forgotten crap and throw it away. I wish we could move annually. I usually purge and reorganize at least one part of my house once a month. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm in at about 50%. I can't commit to one bag each day since we'll be out of town quite a bit and it's just not very realistic for me in general. But we have so much junk in our basement it's embarrassing. And just...everywhere really. It'll probably average out to a bag a day in the end.

I'm giving up alcohol for lent. :) 

Really though, I'm trying to give up swearing for lent. Not here, obviously, but IRL. I swear with pretty reckless abandon and I'm trying to junk the habit before the little one is born.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm in at about 50%. I can't commit to one bag each day since we'll be out of town quite a bit and it's just not very realistic for me in general. But we have so much junk in our basement it's embarrassing. And just...everywhere really. It'll probably average out to a bag a day in the end.

I'm giving up alcohol for lent. :) 

Really though, I'm trying to give up swearing for lent. Not here, obviously, but IRL. I swear with pretty reckless abandon and I'm trying to junk the habit before the little one is born.
    This made me giggle.
  • Options

Girl. I have boxes that I've moved to two homes now without unpacking them. I moved in with H in September of 2013, and had lived in my condo for 3 years before that.
    I was going to say almost the exact same thing - except "guuuuuurl" and I moved here March 2013. lol

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I didn't see this yesterday, but actually uncluttered/organized my kitchen counter last night...maintenance guys are coming in today and I couldn't deal with how messy it looked. I live in a very small apartment, so my kitchen counter is my entry table/meal prep space/eating space/etc.

I'm very in for this challenge. I'm moving at the end of April so this will be a great way to get rid of stuff I'll have to throw out or pack up in a few months anyways. I'm not Catholic, but grew up Presbyterian and was encouraged to give up something for Lent every year. I hate being told that I have to do something, so it never lasted; the last few years I've tried to do some sort of self-improvement during Lent.

I think tonight I will clean off the top of my fridge, the wasteland of recipe cards and...some stuff in some boxes that I don't even remember.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I just created a two-week cleaning rotation with a daily chore chart and a monthly big project item.  I'm bad about being lazy when I get home during the work week and then leaving everything until the weekend.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    luckya23 said:

I was going to say almost the exact same thing - except "guuuuuurl" and I moved here March 2013. lol
    Ahem, I move in with H in 2011. I still have 10 huge boxes that the packing tape hasn't even come off of... No clue what's in them.
  • Options
    I need to do this. Fi realized I have a hoarding problem. We went through all the mugs/travel cups we have and got rid of 27.There's only 2 of us. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards