Chit Chat
Options

Your mother is not your ATM

In my FB message box this afternoon, a note from my daughter asking if I could contribute toward her $800 wedding dress. I would suggest GFM but I know better than that, to say the least. Lots of padrinos are covering everything else from the venue to the DJ to the food. I think I'll wait a few days and see how creative I can be.

Re: Your mother is not your ATM

• Options
    In my FB message box this afternoon, a note from my daughter asking if I could contribute toward her $800 wedding dress. I would suggest GFM but I know better than that, to say the least. Lots of padrinos are covering everything else from the venue to the DJ to the food. I think I'll wait a few days and see how creative I can be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    If it wouldn't be unsafe internet practice, I'd want as many of us total strangers as possible to FB PM her with your exact subject line.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Do it, we'll help you out. And we won't judge you if you need to DD this before she gets here...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I am literally afraid to run this scenario through my head as my mother would kill me if I ever did such a thing. And over FACEBOOK? Holyfuckingshitballsno.

Send her to us. *chompy*

• Options
    Give her to meeee.

I need an evil Ursula gif or something.

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    Do it, we'll help you out. And we won't judge you if you need to DD this before she gets here...
    I lawl'd. There are just so many things...why do people feel like it's appropriate to do any sort of real communicating over facebook?! Tacky to ask for money but over facebook just takes it to a whole new level.
  • Options

Give her to meeee.

I need an evil Ursula gif or something.

Perfection.

• Options
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I would have sent her back a link to a job recruiter.  Oh man, over FB...not even in person....that is pretty ballsy.  

• Options
    If padrinos are covering other things, she probably thought it was perfectly fine to ask. I mean, other people are already paying. I really don't find this all that shocking.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    If padrinos are covering other things, she probably thought it was perfectly fine to ask. I mean, other people are already paying. I really don't find this all that shocking.
    I agree with this. Facebook clearly isn't the appropriate way to do it, but if having padrinos is a thing that you do, I don't find asking for help paying for the dress to be super out of line.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @heatherkat that siggy cracks me up every time

• Options
    And I thought I was the major dumbass...I would never ask a parent through a FB message.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Daughter or not, this is ridiculously rude. 

ETA: You should respond by sending her the link to apply for a second job. 
  • Options
    I find this really confusing... Every time I tried on dresses or the topic came up, my mom asked me if she could help pay for my dress, and I told her no. ("Thank you, but no, I'd like to pay for all of it myself. This is what I've been saving for.") 

Part of that was so that it was 100% my decision and I didn't have to depend on anyone else or ask if the dress I chose and the cost was acceptable to a third party. Nope. My dress, my money, my choice. And since my mom can be somewhat over-bearing and pushy and meddlesome, it was an extra nope. (Don't want to make her sound awful cuz I love her, but I just didn't want her TOO involved). 

My guess is you are too nice of a mom. Go hang out with my family, learn to be an asshole, and then your daughter won't even THINK about wanting your money. 
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Haha, thanks! Buzzfeed had a great article with famous paintings paired with Mean Girls quotes. Its the most beautiful thing I've seen. CLICK

(anyone know how to make said siggy smaller? I feel like its huge and obnoxious.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Very long story... Just saw the FB post announcing the wedding time, reception time (yes, there's a significant gap) and telling everyone to watch out for the invitation. Wedding's in five months. I may just send her a link to TK.
    I mean, I would tell her to take that down unless she is inviting every single person she is facebook friends with. 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jenna8984 said:
    Haha, thanks! Buzzfeed had a great article with famous paintings paired with Mean Girls quotes. Its the most beautiful thing I've seen. CLICK

(anyone know how to make said siggy smaller? I feel like its huge and obnoxious.)
    @HeatherKat yes. When you're in the siggy editor (or when posting a comment), go the code edit function by hitting the <> button. You'll see the URL for the image hidden in all that gobbeldy gook, surrounded by quotation marks and inside <> brackets. Go AFTER the ending quotation mark and BEFORE the ending error and type width = (a number) Usually 300 or 400 works well. Hit the <> button again to go back to WYSIWYG and save once you have a size you like.

width = 300

width = 500

• Options
    @lolo883, you're my hero! Yay!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

@HeatherKat yes. When you're in the siggy editor (or when posting a comment), go the code edit function by hitting the <> button. You'll see the URL for the image hidden in all that gobbeldy gook, surrounded by quotation marks and inside <> brackets. Go AFTER the ending quotation mark and BEFORE the ending error and type width = (a number) Usually 300 or 400 works well. Hit the <> button again to go back to WYSIWYG and save once you have a size you like.

width = 300

width = 500
    Totally off topic here but did I miss the memo that @lolo883 IS HAVING A BABY!!!!
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wonderful outrage. Definitely gave me a chance to breathe and let things ferment. I'll keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards