Wedding Invitations & Paper

Reception to follow

Hi all - I am not having a 'traditional' wedding, 20 min long ceremony & then having a cocktail hour immediately after the ceremony. The cocktail hour is 10 steps away from where people will be sitting - do I still only put reception to follow on the invites? how do I word this?

Re: Reception to follow

• Hi all - I am not having a 'traditional' wedding, 20 min long ceremony & then having a cocktail hour immediately after the ceremony. The cocktail hour is 10 steps away from where people will be sitting - do I still only put reception to follow on the invites? how do I word this?
    How is this not "traditional"? Is the cocktail hour the reception? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    Hi all - I am not having a 'traditional' wedding, 20 min long ceremony & then having a cocktail hour immediately after the ceremony. The cocktail hour is 10 steps away from where people will be sitting - do I still only put reception to follow on the invites? how do I word this?
    How is this not "traditional"? Is the cocktail hour the reception? 
    This. I'm confused. Are you having a cocktail style reception? It's still a reception, so, yes.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • A traditional reception is when you serve food and drink to your guests and personally thank them for coming to your ceremony.  You ARE serving cake, yes?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Here is an example of something that I copied from a website that might work. You will have to adjust for your location & what you are serving.

Two lives, two hearts
    joined together in friendship
    united forever in love

It is with joy that we,
    Amy Jones
    and
    Steven McArthur
    invite you to our wedding

Friday
    at 3:00 PM

The Ancient Spanish Monastery
    1234 Trial Road Miami, Florida

Dinner and dancing to follow

• My wedding, cockail hour, and reception were all at the same location. I just put dinner and dancing to follow.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I am also confused. Are you having a cocktail style reception or just a cocktail hour followed by a reception?

Either way, put "Reception to follow". Since it's in the same place as the ceremony, you don't need to provide additional information about a separate location in any type of insert. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Erikan73 said:

Here is an example of something that I copied from a website that might work. You will have to adjust for your location & what you are serving.

Two lives, two hearts
    joined together in friendship
    united forever in love

It is with joy that we,
    Amy Jones
    and
    Steven McArthur
    invite you to our wedding

Friday
    at 3:00 PM

The Ancient Spanish Monastery
    1234 Trial Road Miami, Florida

Dinner and dancing to follow

While this very wordy text does satisfy the requirements of who, what, when and where, it is impolite for the bride and groom to DIRECTLY invite people to their own wedding, which is in their own honor.  Also, it is not polite to describe the reception food and entertainment at the reception, as if the guests might choose not to come based on that information.
    Traditional wording is much more concise.  "Reception to follow".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Whether it's a cocktail reception, cake and punch reception, full dinner reception, etc it's still your reception. So yes, say that.

The only time you wouldn't say "reception to follow" is if it's at a different location. Then you would include a separate reception card with that address. But since it's 10 steps away, you're all set!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards