Chit Chat
Options

Chinese New Year!

Happy Lunar New Year! Brought to you by the awesome grandmother, who bought him this outfit in Singapore.

过年好     Happy New Year!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Chinese New Year!

• Options
    I work for a Chinese company.  I tried saying Happy New Year like seven times today in Chinese.  They appreciated it, but still laughed at how badly I butchered it.  Chinese is probably a language I'll never master.  But since no one here can actually hear me....Gong Xi Fa Cai, Xin Nian Kuai Le!

• Options
    vulpiepopvulpiepop member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Happy Chinese New Year! I wore red to work yesterday (red is a lucky color) and everyone kept asking me why I was wearing red. I ended up getting into a discussion on Chinese New Year traditions that I celebrated when I was growing up (stopped because the place I moved for college had nothing and now too busy planning a wedding and working full time to really celebrate it this year).

Edited because I can't spell in the morning

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of my Chinese colleagues showed up yesterday with a little stuffed red and gold goat for me and told me that the year of the ram is an especially auspicious year to be married in - something about springs that went over my head? - so I'm glad there's a thread about this so I can mention it to you guys. It's a lucky year for weddings :)

I don't buy into astrology of either the Eastern or Western variety personally but hey, I'll take it anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My HS BFF is from Singapore with a Chinese family, so she texted me happy new year this morning. I wish I knew more about the traditions so I could answer appropriately.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

Inkdancer said:
    My HS BFF is from Singapore with a Chinese family, so she texted me happy new year this morning. I wish I knew more about the traditions so I could answer appropriately.
    You could say, "Happy New Year!  May it bring you joy and prosperity."

• Options
    FI walked to Chinatown yesterday and brought home moon cakes! So yummy.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I'm on what feels like Day Eleventy Billion of the Lunar New Year. I spent the last two weeks scrubbing our apartment top to bottom, throwing out trash, and tying up loose ends. Now my kitchen is filled with oranges, fresh flowers, and sweets. New clothes have been procured. Unfortunately, I had been so busy that I didn't manage to get to the salon for a haircut. Now I have to wait a month at the very least.

We ordered in lunch at work yesterday and we ordered in dinner last night. Tonight is dinner with my family. Saturday is a dinner for an organization we volunteer with. I have new clothes (lots of reds and golds) for each day. The next two weeks will be spent visiting friends/family and eating so much food that none of my new clothes will fit.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards