Wedding Reception Forum

Which cake flavor?

edited February 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
Both taste amazing, but would one be more appropriate for a big crowd with possibly mixed tastes?

Which cake flavor? 77 votes

Red velvet with buttercream frosting
45% 35 votes
Lemon with rasberry preserves and buttercream frosting
54% 42 votes

Re: Which cake flavor?

• Except lemon with blueberry, because I don't like raspberry.  But I'm just a raspberry hater.  And I love lemon/blueberry combos. 

• edited June 2015
  • Both sound amazing but I went with lemon/raspberry. Sounds SO good right now. 

When are you getting married though? Lemon/raspberry strikes me as a spring/summer flavor while red velvet/buttercream strikes me as more of a fall/winter flavor. That's not to say you CAN'T serve either whenever you want (I mean, it's cake....), just something to consider.
    *********************************************************************************

• My wedding is May 30. The lemon is my slight preference, but FI likes the red velvet and my feelings really aren't that strong, so I thought I'd ask all you ladies as a tie-breaker.

When I told my FI that I found a good cake baker the first thing out of his mouth was "Oh great! Do they have red velvet?" I never knew he had such strong feelings about cake!
  • Can you do layers of both? 

I voted lemon because I think red velvet is kinda gross.  Just make chocolate cake!  No need to add a little bit of cocoa powder and a ton of gross tasting red dye, to any cake.

• Can you do layers of both? 

I voted lemon because I think red velvet is kinda gross.  Just make chocolate cake!  No need to add a little bit of cocoa powder and a ton of gross tasting red dye, to any cake.

QUOTED BECAUSE IT'S THE DAMN TRUTH.

I will eat red velvet, of course. I will eat any cake. But I have never ordered it or sought it out. If i want chocolate cake, I will eat chocolate cake. If I want food coloring, I will eat super man ice cream.
    *********************************************************************************

• LOVE lemon, and lemon and raspberry together. I mean LOVE. And I don't really get Red Velvet, but then it's not much of a thing here. Is it just chocolate cake that's... red?
  • edited June 2015
  • I like red velvet cake because I like all cake, but I also have some reservations that some of my guests might not like it due to the food coloring (especially some parents w/ young kids who will be there). I think lemon is winning... now I just need to break my fiancee's heart very gently :(
  • I like red velvet cake because I like all cake, but I also have some reservations that some of my guests might not like it due to the food coloring (especially some parents w/ young kids who will be there). I think lemon is winning... now I just need to break my fiancee's heart very gently :(
    You could always have a small groom's cake and make it red velvet! 

• Groom's cake is a good idea. It's a small, casual wedding though so initially I hadn't considered an extra cake because I thought it would be a bit overboard. However, if he's really disappointed then I may rethink things...
  • Red velvet generally has cream cheese frosting, which (in addition to the color) differentiates it from regular chocolate cake.

I would say do a layer of both, if possible. That way, your guests can choose, and your FI will get the flavor he loves. 
  • edited June 2015
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    ^ I do also LOVE cream cheese icing, I put that shit on everything! A layer of each would be cool.
  • Depends on your date-lemon with raspberry for spring and summer wedding and red velvet for fall and winter weddings.
  • I voted lemon with raspberry, as well. It's perfect for May and a delicious, refreshing flavor choice.

I second everything PPs said about red velvet, especially the food coloring. I'd honestly only eat it if it were the only dessert available. 

If he's sad about the other, a grooms cake would be a perfect idea! 
  • Kahlyla said:
    LOVE lemon, and lemon and raspberry together. I mean LOVE. And I don't really get Red Velvet, but then it's not much of a thing here. Is it just chocolate cake that's... red?

It's chocolate - lite.  It uses about half of the normal amount of cocoa powder for a chocolate cake, so that the red coloring can still be shown.  But it usually doesn't have enough cocoa powder for it to over power the terrible red food dye taste.

And chocolate cake taste great with cream cheese icing!  That is how our family recipe is traditionally served, except now I make it with a Dark Chocolate buttercream because that is what my choc-o-holic H prefers.

• First, if it's going to be red velvet, it HAS to have cream cheese icing. I refuse to accept anything else.

That said, I would prefer the lemon-raspberry personally. I love the tang of lemon cake. 
  • daria24 said:
    First, if it's going to be red velvet, it HAS to have cream cheese icing. I refuse to accept anything else.

That said, I would prefer the lemon-raspberry personally. I love the tang of lemon cake. 
    I actually hate cream cheese frosting.  I know, I'm a freak.  I actually don't like most frosting, but with red velvet I like a very little bit of milk chocolate frosting.  Again, I understand I'm a freak.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I voted for lemon & raspberry, because OMG YUM YES.

For my first wedding (which was in the fall, if that matters), I had a tier of red velvet w/ cream cheese filling (XH's favorite) and a tier of lemon w/ raspberry filling (also a pumpkin/cream cheese tier, but we're not talking about that right now). We had a ton of lemon/raspberry left and almost no red velvet left, despite the red velvet being a much larger tier. That could be seasonal, because lemon/raspberry is a much more spring/summer flavor combo. 

• Any other flavor choices?
  • I picked the red velvet because I love chocolate cake. I'd prefer a regular chocolate cake over the red velvet, though.

• I picked the red velvet because I love chocolate cake. I'd prefer a regular chocolate cake over the red velvet, though.
    Me too!  That's why I was asking if there were any other flavor choices.  :)
  • I would love either flavor.  Can you do both flavors? Our cake is 4 tiers and we will be serving 3 different flavors. 

• I'd eat either, but if I HAD to pick, I think I would go with lemon raspberry.
  • Although multiple flavors may be possible I'm trying to stick to one to keep things simple and in budget. Lemon/raspberry won out, and my fiancee is not too disappointed by the lack of red velvet, especially when I promised to bake him one for his birthday next year :)

Thanks for all your opinions and advice ladies! I love the TK poll feature! Now I'm just going to have to resist the urge to post a poll for every little decision I have to make going forward. Hahaha.
  • I would have chosen the lemon for spring / summer and the red velvet for fall / winter.  There are no rules, but the lemon/raspberry just seems lighter and more summery to me.

I voted for the red velvet though b/c that's one of my flavors, and because today, it's winter and lemon/raspberry would make me sad that it's not spring yet.

Both sound YUMMY!
  • I chose red velvet. But that's 'cause I'm a fatty who is all like "GET OUT OF MY DESSERT, FRUIT. YOU'RE NOT CHOCOLATE OR BUTTER."

Like PPs have suggested, I would try to do different flavor layers (this is what we did).
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards