Snarky Brides

Snarky brides...tell me if this is a bad idea

2»

Re: Snarky brides...tell me if this is a bad idea

• I'm the pickiest eater I know and I love what I consider persian food. It's a mix of Mediterranean, middle eastern, and maybe some Indian (I realize I may not be accurately describing Persia, I just felt it would be easier to say persian food than to break it down). But think kabobs and pita and baklava foods like that. 
    I have never met someone who can't find something they like in this cuisine. 
    It's actually now Iran.  That's like calling Mumbai "Bombay" or South Sudan just "Sudan".  But Nan (Google tells me that its actually Nan in Iran, rather than Naan, which we've borrowed from India) with dips and olives, and other foods from that region would probably be great (and IMO, better than cheese and crackers!)
  • The polite thing to do is to have either food or drinks for your guests.  Suggesting that they tour the gardens is strange.  And yes some of them will go and sit and be bored.
  • I'm the pickiest eater I know and I love what I consider persian food. It's a mix of Mediterranean, middle eastern, and maybe some Indian (I realize I may not be accurately describing Persia, I just felt it would be easier to say persian food than to break it down). But think kabobs and pita and baklava foods like that. 
    I have never met someone who can't find something they like in this cuisine. 
    It's actually now Iran.  That's like calling Mumbai "Bombay" or South Sudan just "Sudan".  But Nan (Google tells me that its actually Nan in Iran, rather than Naan, which we've borrowed from India) with dips and olives, and other foods from that region would probably be great (and IMO, better than cheese and crackers!)
    I think with food/cultural items it's actually okay to call it Persia. (Similar to how you can have an Oriental rug, but you'd never use that term to describe a person). Persian culture, as I understand it from reading a few books/memoirs on the topic, is ancient and much beloved by modern Iranians, who describe it as Persian. Almost every restaurant in NYC that serves this kind of food calls it Persian. I've been to an Iranian acquaintance's new year party and it's always called "Persian New Year" on the invitation, too. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • follow-up question. Say we don't have a gap, but we, the bride and groom, don't arrive immediately. ceremony ends, we do the receiving line, and the guests head straight to the reception (which is about a 5 min walk on a stone path). my husband and i  run up to our rooms to pee and freshen up. (I promise you i'm going to need a bathroom break - i drink so much water). so we get to the reception 15 mins after the guests. will that be okay? 

Why can't you just freshen up/go to the bathroom at the inn. Surely you have bathrooms for your guests?

• I don't think there's any issue for you to take a break before you enter the reception, so long as it's kept to a reasonable length of time. In fact, most weddings I've gone to the guests were invited into the reception space after the ceremony and the bridal party went off to take pictures, freshen up, bustle the dress, etc. before joining the others. When they were ready, the MC would announce everyone as they came in.

I do agree with the others though that your guests should be provided with something to do during this time. Usually guests will use this as an opportunity to see where they'll be sitting, grab a drink and get settled before dinner begins. You said the weather tends to be in the 70s so offering some kind of cold drink would be polite. You could limit this to water, fruit juice or soda if you don't want the bar open this early. If you will be serving alcohol you do want to make absolutely sure you have some kind of finger food available too, just to be on the safe side.

It sounds like you're going to have a really lavish spread, so a few themed appetizers could be the perfect way to give guests a little less familiar with this kind of food a sneak peek at the amazing dinner ahead. Maybe frame some dinner menus and put them by the guest book or similar location to get people excited. That would also help ensure no one spoils their appetite.
  • So we could serve drinks...but idk about any food. They'll be eating a lot for lunch and I wouldn't want anyone to spoil their appetite...plus it's hard to think of the kinds of snacks to serve. I mean, we could put out pita or naan and all kinds of dips?
    You need to provide refreshments of some sort - water and iced tea, plus a fruit tray and nuts/crackers would be enough. I agree with PPs, though - I would get pretty bored and possibly annoyed just standing around for 30 minutes (or more) with nothing to eat or drink. And no one will notice/care that the food doesn't "match" the buffet. 

Also, it's not your responsibility to worry about grown adults spoiling their appetites.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So we could serve drinks...but idk about any food. They'll be eating a lot for lunch and I wouldn't want anyone to spoil their appetite...plus it's hard to think of the kinds of snacks to serve. I mean, we could put out pita or naan and all kinds of dips?
    You need to provide refreshments of some sort - water and iced tea, plus a fruit tray and nuts/crackers would be enough. I agree with PPs, though - I would get pretty bored and possibly annoyed just standing around for 30 minutes (or more) with nothing to eat or drink. And no one will notice/care that the food doesn't "match" the buffet. 

Also, it's not your responsibility to worry about grown adults spoiling their appetites.
    You know who I hate when I'm super well hosted and stuffed on appetizers before the main course?  Myself, because I made the choice to chow down and now there is even more delicious food that I can't fit in.  Getting mad at the host because she provided so much food would never even occur to me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards