Chit Chat

40 bags in 40 days decluttering challenge

13»

Re: 40 bags in 40 days decluttering challenge

• I'm tackling the bathroom cabinets today. 

You guys, yesterday, I found so much crap in that drawer. Most was a bunch of useless stuff like
    wine stoppers (who ever needs those? people don't finish wine??? I don't have that problem.) They went into the donate pile. Along with a smiley faced tool that removes corn from the cob and several meat tenderizers.

• @ashley8918 Please repost your closet pics again. . . they are broken to me, and I want to share in the walk-in jealousy!

@SBMini you posted a pic of a drool worthy closet a while back in a reconstruction thread here. . . I'm picturing Ashley's closet as that, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @ashley8918 Please repost your closet pics again. . . they are broken to me, and I want to share in the walk-in jealousy!

@SBMini you posted a pic of a drool worthy closet a while back in a reconstruction thread here. . . I'm picturing Ashley's closet as that, lol.
    Hahaha, you're probably going to be disappointed... it's not THAT great,

It's a panorama, so weird proportions. It's about 12 feet deep.
  • Oh, and the other one was just shoes. image
  • I'm in at about 50%. I can't commit to one bag each day since we'll be out of town quite a bit and it's just not very realistic for me in general. But we have so much junk in our basement it's embarrassing. And just...everywhere really. It'll probably average out to a bag a day in the end.

I'm giving up alcohol for lent. :) 

Really though, I'm trying to give up swearing for lent. Not here, obviously, but IRL. I swear with pretty reckless abandon and I'm trying to junk the habit before the little one is born.
    LOL I told H the same thing last night. He asked what I was giving up and I said "Hmmm... alcohol. Prepared deli salads. Lunch meats that have not been heated to steaming. Unpasteurized cheeses. Undercooked eggs, meat and seafood. Aspirin. Sudafed. I think that's enough."
    Exactly. Don't forget water skiing, downhill skiing, climbing a ladder, picking up more than 25 lbs, touching my toes (come late summer).... I'm giving up more this year than ever!

I would do unspeakable things for a Jimmy John's beach club sandwich with all the salty deli turkey right now.... *sigh* Maybe in September.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm in at about 50%. I can't commit to one bag each day since we'll be out of town quite a bit and it's just not very realistic for me in general. But we have so much junk in our basement it's embarrassing. And just...everywhere really. It'll probably average out to a bag a day in the end.

I'm giving up alcohol for lent. :) 

Really though, I'm trying to give up swearing for lent. Not here, obviously, but IRL. I swear with pretty reckless abandon and I'm trying to junk the habit before the little one is born.
    LOL I told H the same thing last night. He asked what I was giving up and I said "Hmmm... alcohol. Prepared deli salads. Lunch meats that have not been heated to steaming. Unpasteurized cheeses. Undercooked eggs, meat and seafood. Aspirin. Sudafed. I think that's enough."
    Exactly. Don't forget water skiing, downhill skiing, climbing a ladder, picking up more than 25 lbs, touching my toes (come late summer).... I'm giving up more this year than ever!

I would do unspeakable things for a Jimmy John's beach club sandwich with all the salty deli turkey right now.... *sigh* Maybe in September.
    A friend of mine announced her pregnancy at the end of the year when everyone was announcing New Year's Resolutions... she said something like "this year I resolve to gain a bunch of weight the first half of the year, increase my tax deductions, and then lose some weight the rest of the year." I thought it was really cute.

Hahaha, you're probably going to be disappointed... it's not THAT great,

It's a panorama, so weird proportions. It's about 12 feet deep.
    Still nice!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I don't even think that I own 40 bags of stuff...

And I'm Jewish, so no lent. Just guilt.
    ------- preemptive box------
    Amen.
    Yeah, this thread makes me feel like I shouldn't feel guilty about the "wastefulness" of buying new clothes. Except for undergarments, I have one hanger per article of clothing (including separates for nightwear) and it comes to fewer than 60 hangers. A number of these items are from over a decade ago and I have pictures of me in them while in public school. A friend told me once that you only wear 10% of the clothing you own. Ha, if that were the case, I'd be doing laundry almost every night.

I can't wait to have our own house with things in it to clean!

Good luck on your missions, and wishing everyone who observes an easy Lent.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• I'm in!  FI and I live in a studio, so I'd be really stretching to find 40 areas unless I did one cabinet at a time.  Hehe

BUT we're moving two weeks from Saturday!! (YAAAAYYYYYYYYY) so I may expedite/modify a little since I'd like to be decluttered before we move....

:D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• My 2 bags for today:

1 bag of dog poop from the potty patch in the yard

6 cups of dust and dog hair from the vacuum cleaner

I'm debating if I should wash the slip cover for the living room chair now that I vacuumed it so that I can hang it to dry while we are away for the weekend...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I don't even think that I own 40 bags of stuff...

And I'm Jewish, so no lent. Just guilt.
    ------- preemptive box------ Amen. Yeah, this thread makes me feel like I shouldn't feel guilty about the "wastefulness" of buying new clothes. Except for undergarments, I have one hanger per article of clothing (including separates for nightwear) and it comes to fewer than 60 hangers. A number of these items are from over a decade ago and I have pictures of me in them while in public school. A friend told me once that you only wear 10% of the clothing you own. Ha, if that were the case, I'd be doing laundry almost every night. I can't wait to have our own house with things in it to clean! Good luck on your missions, and wishing everyone who observes an easy Lent.
    See @JennyColada has it right. . . all of the guilt w/o having to give up chocolate, booze etc and then feeling even more guilty when you back slide or say "Fuck It!" and refuse to give up that trivial shit anyways.

On a serious note, I heard a priest once say that the point of giving something up for Lent was that you were supposed to give up something that would lead to a positive change in your life or personality that you'd try to maintain from that point forward, forever. . . so something substantial like giving up gossiping, being snarky, swearing etc.  He said giving up chocolate and the like misses the point because most people just start eating it again right after Lent is over, and that it doesn't actually make you a better, more Christ like person.

I thought that was an interesting view on Lent.

Back on topic- I have a clothing and general "stuff" problem.  It's an addiction, I'm a Shopaholic, and I fully admit and embrace it!  It's one of the reasons I'm not super cereal about trying to loose the 10lbs I say I want to loose. . . then my clothes won't fit and I'll HAVE to buy more :-P

Every season I make an effort to purge, though.  I'm book marking this thread for the link to that one cleaning method mentioned on P1.

• I once purged so much from my closet that I only had enough clothing to last me 6 days.  And I was pretty poor at the time and couldn't even afford new tees/sweater from even Target, so I was miserably doing laundry ALL THE TIME for a good while.

I'm a good purger, but I have some organizational things I should be tackling.  Maybe I'll use the Lenten season for that...

Good luck to all!
  • *closetgasm*
  • SBmini said:
    Mmmmm closets 

Thank you!!!!

Did you find these on Pinterest?

• SBmini said:
    Mmmmm closets 

Thank you!!!!

Did you find these on Pinterest?
    Yep, I have a closet board... no shame https://www.pinterest.com/houseandhome493/closets/
  • I'm in!  I'm trying to get my shit sorted and organized and winnowed down before my annual apartment walk-through. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards