Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Is it rude to check up on my photographer?

I'd love some advice here. A few of my relatives have mentioned that I should get a firm ETA out of my photographer regarding when our wedding pics will be ready.

There was no specific delivery time in our contract because he typically does all of the editing to create the final images before he releases the CD. Once we get the images we'll pick our favorites for prints and an album that he'll create.

At the wedding he told us he would try to get the pictures to us by the end of December but I always assumed this wouldn't be the case. That was less than 6 weeks from our wedding with two major holidays falling in between. He also said he had 4 other sets of wedding photos he needed to deliver before ours.

Even though I haven't heard from him about my photos, my photographer has been regularly updating his Facebook with other wedding that clearly occurred before mine.

Do you think it would be necessary to send him a message to check up on things? I'd love some suggestions about how to do this politely if you think it would be a good idea.

Re: Is it rude to check up on my photographer?

• I don't think it can hurt. If you're polite about it, I'm sure you're better than a ton of his other clients. 
  • I just recently had this issue with my photographer. This is what I emailed, just as an example of the tone. 

"I have been trying not to ask cuz I know you are probably crazy backed up from the holidays and the wedding season picking up, but I cannot remember for the life of me when you said the pictures will be ready. I think when you told me I had already gotten ahold of a bottle of champagne. ;) 

Hope you're having a great Christmas season!"

I had to follow up a couple of more times (still politely) because she's currently overloaded but she was always very sweet with her replies and it helped me to understand the process and where she was with things. AND I got my pictures today! 

Bottom line: I agree with Jeni, as long as you're polite about asking I don't think it's a big deal to check in.
  • Thanks you guys. I know I'm probably being paranoid, but you hear so many horror stories it's easy to get nervous.

I sent a message. Here's hoping I get my photos soon!
  • What did he say?
  • Hopefully you get a good answer. My SIL is a professional photographer, she has no other jobs. She has her photos and edited & available to the bride and groom within a week of the wedding. And it's not uncommon for her to take 1,000+ photos during the day. Now if she has two weddings in one weekend (Friday & Saturday) it may take a full week to get both of them done. But I don't think any of her brides have ever waiting more then two weeks for their photos.

• When I sent the message he did get back to me and said he'd have things ready within a week.

That week did wind up being two weeks because things got behind but I did get the disks in hand the day after he said they were shipped.

Now we'll see how long it takes him to make prints! haha
  • dave1photodave1photo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I wouldn't really worrying about being polite.  You're being wronged and you are right to be upset.  I believe that you should call your photographer on the carpet about the delays.  Now you can be polite, that's always appropriate. But you have a contract and a deal.  I always tell my couples what the timeline will be, up front, so everyone can agree.  But the bottom line is the bottom line and you have a contract that needs to be fulfilled.  I believe it's best to establish your self, firmly but politely, right from the start. 

And NEVER.....EVER...give a photographer all of the money up front.  Think about it, the photographer then has no incentive to meet time schedules, even that he/she defined. Never give all of your contract money up front, never.

(edited by mod)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards