Wedding Reception Forum

No Alcohol Reception?

2»

Re: No Alcohol Reception?

• I know what it is (we go to a Sci-fi/fantasy con every year) and I just dislike steampunk. Mostly because it acts like it's making Victorian/Edwardian stuff all high-tech and I'm like, 'But they had electricity and that's more efficient than steam... science, you're doing it WRONG.'
    See, that's the misconception about Steampunk, though.  No, they are not doing it wrong.   No one ever said you can only, exclusively use steam technology. 

But Steampunk is actually Victorian Science Fiction. . . that's the actual literary genre that inspired the "Steampunk" aesthetic.  You know, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mary Shelley,  etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• JoanE2012 said:
    ferricfox said:
    @artbyallie the theme is steampunk.
    Oh my.  I just had to google this.  Yeah.....as a guest.....I will not be participating in any form or dressing up.  For a wedding, I'm a huge of just keeping the theme "wedding".

But back to your OP.  No alcohol is fine.  You're paying, as long as you host your guests properly (ie beverages of some sort), you are good.
    I'd be up for this, actually.  I've been to so many "vanilla" weddings now, I'm kinda ready for something a bit more unconventional.

Plus, I have a pretty sweet steampunky, Victorian Hussar costume already ;-)
    My friend had a beautiful steampunk wedding the first time she got married. She's no longer with the guy, so she took the photos off Facebook, or I'd ask if she minded me showing you some of her decorations. None of the guests were asked to dress up. It was just the decorations and the style she and her now ex kept in mind for their attire. 
  • edited June 2015
  • I know what it is (we go to a Sci-fi/fantasy con every year) and I just dislike steampunk. Mostly because it acts like it's making Victorian/Edwardian stuff all high-tech and I'm like, 'But they had electricity and that's more efficient than steam... science, you're doing it WRONG.'
    See, that's the misconception about Steampunk, though.  No, they are not doing it wrong.   No one ever said you can only, exclusively use steam technology. 

But Steampunk is actually Victorian Science Fiction. . . that's the actual literary genre that inspired the "Steampunk" aesthetic.  You know, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mary Shelley,  etc.
    Thank you for that. I was about to come in here and go "Uh, steampunk doesn't mean everything HAD to be steam". One of the more popular fantasies of steampunk include a world where Edison didn't use his money and bullying to monopolize the electricity market, and Tesla's innovations are common place. The steam really comes up almost in place of what was all run by coal in the industrial age. So the fantasy is all the black, toxic smog and soot is replaced by clean steam power, and electricity is supplied by alternating current.

It's a surprisingly green / eco friendly sci-fi subculture.
    Fuck Edison.  He was an asshole.

Tesla and Westinghouse FTW!!!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I guess I just still think it's silly to add more innovations to the freaking Industrial Revolution. And also I think everyone I know who's all into it just likes the gears and crap and not the fiction? Meh. I have unpopular opinions. I also have zero interest in Doctor Who. People I go to cons and generally geek out with are positively shocked when they find out I've never seen it.
  • edited June 2015
  • Okay so here's a question;
    My future MIL, when she found out about the wedding, got all excited and asked if we had a theme, and we told her it was steampunk. She said, "Oh!!! That's amazing I'm going to dress up, okay?" So we agreed she could.
    So I mean, since she already is dressing and knows the theme, would it be such a problem to say somewhere, not on the invitations, but maybe on our website, that the theme is steampunk and people are welcome to dress if they want but it's not necessary?

• ferricfox said:

Okay so here's a question;
    My future MIL, when she found out about the wedding, got all excited and asked if we had a theme, and we told her it was steampunk. She said, "Oh!!! That's amazing I'm going to dress up, okay?" So we agreed she could.
    So I mean, since she already is dressing and knows the theme, would it be such a problem to say somewhere, not on the invitations, but maybe on our website, that the theme is steampunk and people are welcome to dress if they want but it's not necessary?

Let it spread by word of mouth that some people might dress up. Your friends and family that are more adventurous will jump at it, and your more conservative friends and family will be fine and comfortable in standard wedding attire. 

I mean. I cosplay and love the steampunk aesthetic and had touches of it at my wedding, but it's not what I jump to when I get a wedding invite. I prefer to do touches of eccentricity rather then bustles to the wall steampunk.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards