Chit Chat

Blow Dry Bars

Has anyone ever tried this?  Is it worth the money?  I would love to be able to go have my hair styled perfect and then be able to wear it for a few days after.  I'm just skeptical on how long it would last, do you get enough volume?  What have you.... talk to me...

Re: Blow Dry Bars

• My girlfriend and I went to the Dry Bar during one a NYC weekend and it was great. I don't know that I would necessarily do it on a regular basis (because I'm cheap and just care enough to always have my hair styled), but it was definitely worth it for a special celebration &/or vacation. 

As for how long it lasts - I think that depends on your hair type. She has super curly hair and was able to wear it blown out all weekend. Mind is fine & straight and looked great day 1, okay day 2 and was totally done by the morning of day 3. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I did it for my engagement photos.  It only lasted 1 day - the 2nd day it looked good, but not great or perfect.  Better than when I style it, but sleeping on it will still mess it up a bit.  It was worth the money for my engagement photos since I'm not really good at styling my hair, but I probably won't do it again in the foreseeable future
  • I went to one before my bridal shower.  It was $35 and lasted for about 3 days.  4th day was pushing it.  I actually just found a groupon for $15 I'm thinking it's worth buying.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think of it as more of a special occasion thing. Weather permitting I can get at least 2-3 days out of a blowout after I get my hair done, but it's not something I usually spend money on. I got one for my engagement photos and it looked fabulous...until the rain started :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm glad people have had good experiences--my hair is just now getting long enough to even be able to get a blow-out, but I want to do it once we do our (belated) e-pics. 

I would even consider doing it for the wedding, but A. August in WI is hot and sticky, and B. I'm not sure if the dry bar concept has made it that far into the midwest yet.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Mine looks like crap as soon as I sleep on it - my hair is pin straight and dry/slightly damaged and styling does not last. I only get blowouts if I need my hair done before an after-work event and don't have time to go home and deal with it myself. It's a great lunch-hour fix if something comes up but it never lasts me into the next day. As soon I sleep on it, it looks like I did it myself anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I LOVE them. You get the nice head massage and the hair wash (which I hate doing myself), and they do all the work. Around here it starts at $40. My hair is quite dry, and doesn't get greasy so much as it gets dirty, so I can usually stretch a nice blowout for 4 days. Days 1 and 2 look the best, day 3 still looks okay, day 4 its getting a bit lame. Day 5 would be up/braid/wash in the evening if I didnt on day 4 evening. I don't wash my hair much lol.
  • Well I'm going to try it.  If nothing else for the luxury of it all. 
  • I love them, but I am also the person that washes my hair once a week, I'm actually on day six right now after having one on Saturday, and a lady at work told me my hair looked great today. It doesn't look like it did Saturday, but it still looks good. In the end it comes down to your hair, everyone is different. I have a friend that got it done and 4 hours later her hair was back to normal, now, normal for her is SUPER curly hair. 

I love the splurge when I can and the pampering is nice, also I just love to have really pretty hair for an occasion or just because.
  • I'm glad people have had good experiences--my hair is just now getting long enough to even be able to get a blow-out, but I want to do it once we do our (belated) e-pics. 

I would even consider doing it for the wedding, but A. August in WI is hot and sticky, and B. I'm not sure if the dry bar concept has made it that far into the midwest yet.
    Can't speak for WI, but it's in Chicago. There's one by me called Trixie, which is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the neighborhood's stereotype, for better or worse.
    Haven't tried it yet. But, one of my favorite memoir authors had a hilarious experience with a blow dry bar in Texas and I about died reading it. Point being, not something I'm willing to spend money on anytime soon!

• kasmith1 said:
    I love them, but I am also the person that washes my hair once a week, I'm actually on day six right now after having one on Saturday, and a lady at work told me my hair looked great today. It doesn't look like it did Saturday, but it still looks good. In the end it comes down to your hair, everyone is different. I have a friend that got it done and 4 hours later her hair was back to normal, now, normal for her is SUPER curly hair. 

I love the splurge when I can and the pampering is nice, also I just love to have really pretty hair for an occasion or just because.
    You lucky duck!

Mine is usually fine with some dry shampoo for about 2-3 days, but even then I rarely get the chance to "push" my hair to its limits because I work out and get sweat-head enough that I really have to wash it. I like showers, but I hate drying my hair so it's annoying to have to do it so often.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I'm not really sure what happens to my hair when I sleep, but this is how I wake up. 
    I don't know if I can make a hairstyle last more than a day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wait. So is this blow-out stuffike to straighten hair? I've never been to one but always thought it was just to style hair (like that they'd put it up or curl it or do anything that involves styling hair without washing/cutting it). Am I wrong?
  • Definitely worth it! Had the best time enjoying the head massage and hair do. Lasted 2 days. 
    Worth 40 bucks IMO
  • Wait. So is this blow-out stuffike to straighten hair? I've never been to one but always thought it was just to style hair (like that they'd put it up or curl it or do anything that involves styling hair without washing/cutting it). Am I wrong?
    You're right.  I have naturally straight hair and when I get a blowout (which is rarely), I ask them to curl it.  The blow-out bar near my house will use a curling iron and everything.  They'll also do braids and updos for an extra fee.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• @larrygaga hahahha love it

I've never had one.....but I don't understand how it would be any different than blow drying and straightening it yourself? When I do my hair, it looks ok on day 2, but pretty scummy/oily on day 3....why would it be any different when they do it? 

• jenna8984 said:

@larrygaga hahahha love it

I've never had one.....but I don't understand how it would be any different than blow drying and straightening it yourself? When I do my hair, it looks ok on day 2, but pretty scummy/oily on day 3....why would it be any different when they do it? 
    Pros just take way more time and care and precision than the average Joe does on their own (and more than I'm physically capable of before my arms give out). Don't you get a blow-out when you get your hair cut?

• MagicInk said:
    @larrygaga I think you should talk to a doctor about how a giant black square appears over your race while you sleep. I think this is a legit medical problem. (Yes I am a smart ass but at this point that isn't news)
    I was afraid of having my face attached to that hair in a photo on the internet. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenna8984 said:

@larrygaga hahahha love it

Pros just take way more time and care and precision than the average Joe does on their own (and more than I'm physically capable of before my arms give out). Don't you get a blow-out when you get your hair cut?
    Well I only get a cut twice a year but yes. And it looks better that day but days 2-3 my roots my roots get oily just like they would if I did it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards