Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Crazy to send our photographer notes or input before the wedding?

Let me preface this by saying I'm relatively attractive in real life, but I photograph horribly (it's not just me saying that - I've had close friends and even professional photographers protest at first but then agree with this sentiment once they've seen photos of me). Certain angles/sides of my face are just NOT good. 

My fiance and I just got our e-pics back. We have some great ones that I love, but there are about 40-50 (so basically half) of our photos that I really don't like because of the angle of my face/the way I'm posed. Is it completely crazy of me to email our photographer when the wedding gets closer with the examples images/poses/angles from our shoot that I do like, so we can make sure the poses and angles are flattering for our portraits on the wedding day? I imagine there will be so much going on on that day, and I don't want be worrying about whether my face looks too round or my nose looks crooked based on where I'm facing/looking. 

Is that nuts? I don't want to be a high-maintenance bridezilla, but we're spending thousands of dollars on photography, and it's a big priority for us. 

Re: Crazy to send our photographer notes or input before the wedding?

• Options
    I'd maybe see if you can schedule a time to give your photographer a call and go over your concerns. If its not her work that you have an issue with, but rather you just want to keep her posted on your personal concerns I don't see an issue with it. I'm a wedding photographer and have had brides give me a heads up on certain body parts they're self conscious of. Typically a photographer will be aware of the most flattering angles for various body types, but if its something more specific that you are personally conscientious of then I don't see your photographer getting annoyed by it. It IS a huge investment - and believe me, your photographer wants you to look your best too! It it were me I'd appreciate that photography is such a priority and you're taking the time to talk to me about your concerns, rather than being disappointed after the fact over something I wasn't aware of!
  • Options
    It's fine for you to give her feedback and tell her the angles and poses you prefer. Make sure she knows what you want when she is taking posed portrait shots. 

Just realize that when she is taking candids - the ceremony, first dance, cake cutting, etc - she will have little control over getting your preferred angle. In those shots you are going to have to live with some "round" face or "crooked" nose shots. But you will probably be the only person who sees those things - I would guess you are being over critical of yourself. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    No you should definitely tell her what you prefer! When I had my first meeting with our photographers and asked about suggestions they were all for it.  It is your day and you have to look at the photographs forever, and your photographer will want to do their best to make you happy.   I do agree with PP that they wont have control over the candid shots though.
  • Options
    dave1photodave1photo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I would love to know what you're saying you're wondering whether you can talk with your photographer about.  I can't imagine any of us that wouldn't want to sit down and hear what your concerns are and work with you to have a plan for the actual wedding.

So no, I don't think you should feel bad, or hesitate for one instant to call your photographer and, as someone else has suggested, meet with the images that you don't like and just have a discussion.  Your photographer will actually thank you, in the end, when you have great wedding shots that were gotten with the help of your meeting and discussion.

(edited by mod)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards