Registry and Gift Forum
Options

BB&B registering experience.

For those ladies that have registered at BB&B. Did an associate go around the store with you? We had a guy who was seriously the sweetest guy ever. But he was insanely pushy! It took forever and I felt like we couldn't discuss anything because he would pounce on us. I ended up going home and taking like 30 items off the registry we felt pressured to scan!

Re: BB&B registering experience.

• Options
    We had a similar experience! The woman who helped us was really helpful when it came to picking out the china and silverware and after that, we only added like 3 more items because we didn't want a large registry (and we registered for some low-mid price stuff at Bloomingdales).

She would NOT let up on trying to convince us to scan a whole bunch of other shit. I guess I wasn't really surprised that that was the case, but at the very beginning she swore she wouldn't do that. Liar.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Ugh mine was the same way. We had already started registries at other stores so we knew what we were doing. The associate insisted on following us around and he was suuuuuper pushy. We didn't get what we wanted done and ended up leaving super quickly because we were so annoyed. I finished that registry online.
  • Options
    This depends SO much on the store you go to and the specific consultant you get. I'm fairly certain BB&B's company policy is that the consultant has to walk around with you, though. I've heard so many horror stories of pushy consultants that it's a wonder they don't realize what a negative impact it has! Like, yo, by the time you're old enough to get married you can probably figure out how to shop for yourself, no? 

I worked as a registry consultant at Macy's for years, and would always offer to walk around the store with couples, but to stay back and just be available for questions if they didn't want that. I don't think my boss liked that I did that, but I thought it made for a more pleasant experience for the couple, so whatever. 
  • Options
    That kind of thing is absolutely repellent to me, so I did mine online and never set foot in a store. Recommended.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Someone from BB&B just called me earlier today because when I set up the registry, I put my shower date as being in March (totally made up, we aren't having a shower but I thought it was required that I put something there).

So the lady says she sees that I have an upcoming shower (it would still be 2 months away, wtf) and did I want to come in to add more stuff for my shower guests to choose from?
    I probably came off suuuper bitchy when I told her that I'm not accepting any offers for a shower and that we will definitely not be adding anything else to the registry and it already has stuff in it that we don't need. She wasn't so peppy after I said that.

Edited for spelling

----

fka dallasbetch 

• Options
    I did mine entirely online, so I didn't have any contact with anyone! I didn't want to deal with salespeople and it was easier for me to just do it from my computer.  I went to the store to decide on some stuff, because I like to see things in person.
  • Options
    We did our other registry entirely online, but we wanted to pick the china out in person. I suppose we could have just looked in person and gone home to start registering. Oh well.

----

fka dallasbetch 

• Options
    I agree with a PP, it has to depend on the store. We went in twice--the first time we were very indecisive and on a strict time limit--and both times the people we spoke to were nothing but helpful. I think that both times we were actually working with managers, so that might have had something to do with it. Both of them were knowledgeable when we had questions, but mostly just left us alone to do our thing. 
  • Options
    We registered at BBB and heard about pushy salespeople ahead of time.  When we went in to register, we very specifically said that we wanted to be alone when going through the store and registering.  They, of course, honored our request.  I would highly recommend doing this. 
  • Options
    We had an associate too, but I politely told her that we wanted to go around alone so we could talk together. We tried talking together about what we liked with the associate there, but she kept saying what we needed to get. Then she would tell us to register for the more expensive options, even if a cheaper version was what we liked more. We didn't get past the first area before I asked her to let us be alone.
  • Options
    I was under the impression someone would be there to help us IF needed. Not hold our hand. Some of the things were ridiculous like a "butter boy" for buttering corn! Like seriously!
  • Options
    I really liked the woman who helped us but she kept trying to get us to buy for our "married life" not today. We live in an apartment and are well established in terms of most household items but don't have room to store tons of stuff so anything we can't fit will be at my parents' house until we move. I ended up taking a lot of stuff off my registry when we got home. I like Crate and Barrel's app that lets you scan in store without asking for a scanner so they don't know you're registering and won't bother you :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thankfully associate did offer to let us go around by ourselves and only checked back in once, but I was still put off by parts of our experience (as was FI). After we were done she had us sit back down with her and it felt like she basically critiqued our registry. She brought up that we hadn't registered for any bedding (we've lived together for over a year and just replaced our bedding out of necessity), that we hadn't registered for "enough" towels (both bathroom & kitchen towels), and listed all these kitchen appliances we didn't register for (again, because we live together and have slowly purchased these items as we needed them). The associate just kind of came of as condescending and pushy in some ways and it irritated me. If I had to do it over again I would have done more stuff online originally and gone into the store strictly to look at stuff that I wanted to see/feel in person such as towels, dishes, etc. 
  • Options
    I didn't register at BB&B and this was one of the reasons. 

• Options
    It blows my mind that these a-holes think I needed ANY coaxing whatsoever to pick out stuff that we like and want to own. I've been shopping since I could walk (or sit in a shopping cart and point) - I don't need ANY help when it comes to buying shit, k?

----

fka dallasbetch 

• Options
    When we went the consultant came up to us only a few times. It was nice because we had some questions (we couldn't find a certain pillow size, for example) so she was able to help us. I had my bridal dress appointment the same day, so we had to leave without finishing. She wasn't super pushy but recommended a few items. The second time we went no one came up to us. It must depend on who is working.

Sorry you're experience wasn't very fun :( 
  • Options
    We went on a weekend and there were only so many employees, so luckily we got to walk around solo.  Unfortunately now we have to go back because our location keeps all the plates and china in the registry area which we didn't get to see.  
  • Options
    We went to BB&B when there somehow was practically no one else in the store.  This was our first registering experience, so we didn't know what to do or expect.  We didn't even realize that people still registered for china, or what that even meant!  The lady was really nice, she had some mutual connection to FI which I think helped.  She answered questions, helped us pick china, flatware, and glassware, and explained why we even needed such things.  FI and I are fairly traditional, and we agreed together we wanted these things.  She was never pushy, and gave us a good amount of time to talk and think together, as I am extremely indecisive in the first place.  She started to walk around with us a bit, but let us go off on our own too.  She also came every one in a while to check up on us.  After being there for five hours (lol) we got super overwhelmed and left, but were grateful for the experience and it really helped us out.  We did a majority of our registry there, but did a few items at Macy's and Target.  
  • Options
    We registered at BB&B and had a good experience. 

There was an associate there who gave us some pre-information, then let us roam. She was around if we had questions to ask and occasionally popped in to see how we were doing, but she wasn't pushy. Then she helped us finalize. They were also really good about letting us know we could update/change items as we wanted, either in person or online. 
  • Options
    We had a good experience!  We specifically told the salesperson that we wanted to be on our own when we registered, because we had heard that sometimes they can get pushy.  They graciously let us do our own thing.  I will also say, their return policy is really good and they are very easy to work with!  They take returns no questions asked.  We had some problems with Target on that front.
  • Options
    Granted we did this 8 years ago but we had a great experience. Our consultant helped us but she wasn't up my rump throughout the process. It seems like this is store dependent though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards