Chit Chat

The Slap?? Possible SPOILERS

Did anyone here watch this show? Its on NBC - first episode aired maybe 2 weeks ago. 

I just watched the first episode because the premise intrigued me. 

There was a lot going on in the first episode, and it was different than I assumed it would have been. I don't think I'm going to continue watching it.

For those who didn't watch it {here are the spoilers}:

Little boy (I'm thinking he was 7-ish?)  - causing general chaos in the household (guest in a house for a 40th birthday party), throwing old vinyl records, disrespecting electronics, pulling up flowers/veggies from the garden - starts swinging a wooden baseball bat around (like - almost hitting the other kids he's playing with) after he is told his turn at baseball is over but he still wanted to play. . . Zachary Qunito goes down to get control of the situation because the kids father is just sitting there saying "I'll explain the game you to you later . . . stop doing that. . . blah blah blah" but not actually DOING anything about it - Quinto gets rough with the kid, grabs him, throws the bat, and yells at him. Little kids kicks Quinto in the leg, Quinto slaps the kid across the face. Things spiral from there. . . ect.    Both the family w/the kid and Quinto's family are guests in 3rd families house. 

I will say that - while I in no way condone slapping (especially other peoples children), that child had no boundaries or structure and for sure needs some serious disciplining in his life. However - that is the parent's role . . . . . not some other adults call. I personally don't see the show lasting very long . . . but I guess we'll see how it does.

Semi- post and run  . . . . . be back later tonight to discuss. 
                                Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: The Slap?? Possible SPOILERS

• The commercials looked...intriguing.

What it an entertaining show? I may have to check it out.
  • @JennyColada - I have a feeling there is going to be A LOT more happening in the show than just centered around this slap incident. I think it is going to be one of a few main story lines going on. It was shot and written a little differently than I expected. There was a narrator, and you don't even meet either of the characters involved in 'the slap' until more than half way through. 

It wasn't for me, unless I hear some really good things about it, then I'll give it another shot. But I think its worth watching an episode or 2. Its on demand.

• I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. It's different from what I usually watch and I'm going to stick with it. I think it's an 8 episode mini-series type thing, but I could be wrong. The characters are all interesting to me, although the misbehaving little boy (he's 5) makes me think of Sweet Robin from Game of Thrones. Not a good thing. 

There seems to be a lot going on in the show and it looks like each episode will center mainly on one character. Next week will be Uma Thurman's character, who we don't really know a whole lot about yet. Also, Zachary Quinto really draws me in. I think he's a great actor and he is doing a great job with his character, the one who slaps the 5 year old.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I'm the only one I know who's watching it!
  • LabLove86LabLove86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    sal2015 said:
    I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. It's different from what I usually watch and I'm going to stick with it. I think it's an 8 episode mini-series type thing, but I could be wrong. The characters are all interesting to me, although the misbehaving little boy (he's 5) makes me think of Sweet Robin from Game of Thrones. Not a good thing. 

There seems to be a lot going on in the show and it looks like each episode will center mainly on one character. Next week will be Uma Thurman's character, who we don't really know a whole lot about yet. Also, Zachary Quinto really draws me in. I think he's a great actor and he is doing a great job with his character, the one who slaps the 5 year old.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I'm the only one I know who's watching it!
    this actually makes me want to continue watching it. and if it IS only a mini-series - maybe I will.

I was intrigued by the premise, but then decided I was chalk full of shows to keep up on . . . but I can squeeze in a mini-series. I'll let ya know . . . hahaha

ETA - he TOTALLY did remind me of Robin from GOT!!!! I was sitting there like - why does he seem familiar?! Thanks for that!! Haha

• I saw the commercial during the superbowl and laughed my ass off at Zachary Quinto working out and getting all pumped up like there would be a rematch between him and the kid.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I can't comment on the show, but when you said "the Slap," all I could think of was HIMYM.

• beethery said:
    I saw the commercial during the superbowl and laughed my ass off at Zachary Quinto working out and getting all pumped up like there would be a rematch between him and the kid.
    Hah! I love this. I didn't think of it this way while I was watching the episode, but I wish I had. It would have been even more entertaining! 

Also, @LabLove86 - glad I could help with the Robin/Game of Thrones connection!
  • That kid looked like a total dick.
  • beethery said:
    I saw the commercial during the superbowl and laughed my ass off at Zachary Quinto working out and getting all pumped up like there would be a rematch between him and the kid.
    H and I saw one of the promos for it. H was, unimpressed by the premise to say the least.

That said. it would probably be more interesting if it was about Zachary Quinto working out to beat the shit out of the kid a second time. 

Anniversary
  • I have been reading the book for the last few months (it's a really big book). I will probably watch it after I finish it although one difference is the book takes place in Australia. 
  • I just learned it was based on a book.

I should just assume everything is based on a book.

• arrippa said:
    I have been reading the book for the last few months (it's a really big book). I will probably watch it after I finish it although one difference is the book takes place in Australia. 
    Is it good?
  • Don't forget the "comfort-nursing" of the five-year old...  I'm staying mum on that, but that was an interesting twist as well!
  • Don't forget the "comfort-nursing" of the five-year old...  I'm staying mum on that, but that was an interesting twist as well!

-----------------------------------------------

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit reading that. NOPE. No sir. No thank you.
  • arrippa said:
    I have been reading the book for the last few months (it's a really big book). I will probably watch it after I finish it although one difference is the book takes place in Australia. 
    Is it good?
    Ehh, it's okay. I did put it down to read other books, so maybe it's not as good as I remember.
    @soontobesyp...I know I'm going to regret this...but what is 'comfort-nursing'?

• LakeR2014  

She breastfeeds him whenever he acts out, in order to soothe him.  

Even though he's five.  And has teeth.  Ouch! 
  • LakeR2014  

She breastfeeds him whenever he acts out, in order to soothe him.  

Even though he's five.  And has teeth.  Ouch! 

• Knowing what I know about this show now, I will be avoiding that whole channel entirely.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards