Plus-Sized
Options

Ball Gown for Big Girls? Yay or Nay?

I am a larger bride standing 6 feet tall. I plan on being a size 18-20 for the wedding.  I've always imagined myself wearing a ball gown style dress for my wedding but I never see plus size brides in them.  Have any of you worn them in your weddings? Do any of you plan on it in the near future? If so do you mind sharing with me your experience when it comes to being larger and taller.   I would seriously appreciate it.

Also- I'm 6 ft. and my FI is 5'6. I'm no sure if that makes a difference or not.

Here are some of the dresses i'm currently considering.

Re: Ball Gown for Big Girls? Yay or Nay?

• Options
    it all depends on how the dress is cut not all ballgowns are cut the same you would have to try it on to  see if the style looks good on you but be open to other styles of dresses 

this was me in my dress i am a street size 20-22 and wore a size 26 in bridal 

this was my dress mori lee julietta style 3098 in ivory it had a puffy bottom but it was not over the top plus it was really not a ballgown but had the illusion that it was a semi 
  • Options
    I am 5'3" and a size 16 - my dress was a size 18 but it was a ballgown (with a hoop skirt).  I did have the hoop taken in a little bit - but here are some pics if it helps:

Before taking the hoop in - and any alterations (or steaming) - pardon my expression, when I tried it on and purchased it, it did not have the hoop in it so I was surprised at how large it was.

From all the dresses I've tried on - most of the shapes could have worked as long as the dress's structure/design suited me.  I tried on a few dresses in each style and it really depended more on the dress and less on the style if it looked good on me.  If you want a ballgown - rock the ballgown!!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I am 5'7" and a street size 16-18. I knew I wanted a big ballgown and I tried on many. The ones that always looked the best on me had drop waists. You should definitely be open to trying on all different styles but for me, the drop waist ballgowns gave me the pouf I wanted without completely overwhelming me or making me look larger than I actually am. The picture is of me in my gown pre-alterations. I am adding another layer under the skirt for a bit more fullness and a rhinestone belt around my waist for more definition. Hope that helps! 
  • Options
    I have not had my wedding yet but I did buy my wedding gown, Alfred Angelo 2450 and it is a ball gown with a tulle skirt and I LOVE IT. I am a 20/22 in street clothes and bought a 24 and it was very flattering. 
  • Options
    I bought a ball gown from David's Bridal but it had kind of a drop waist a line cut. I loved it. I was wearing a size 20 street size and that's what I got for my dress size. I did have a slip underneath it to add some volume. But I could have easily have gotten away without a slip to have a little less volume. Don't let your size stop you from trying a ball gown on.
  • Options
    It just really depends on your body type and your style. I looked ridiculous in ball gowns, but a full skirt A-line was perfect.   

My advise is go with an open mind, and try on EVERY style.   
  • Options
    Depends on your body! I'm a street size 20 but fit into size 18 Alfred Angelo ballgowns (not dropped waist). They actually looked the best on me. I went with a fit/flare that probably doesn't suit my body as well but that I loved (I figure that's all that matters). Try on all different shapes to find what you love! You'll probably be surprised.
  • Options
    DiamondFanDiamondFan member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2015
    You can totally wear a ball gown if you're plus sized. It all depends on your individual proportions. I agree with other posters that you should try on every single type of ball gown possible because you never know what's going to look best on you until you try it on. I found that i liked a full A-line, slim ball gown, with a clear line where the skirt met the bodice, just below the waist because I found that it made my hips look more in proportion. My dress is a size 18.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, You've totally helped me focus my search down! Can't wait to find "the one" haha I mean "the other one" :)
  • Options
    Good luck & have fun!!
  • Options

I wear a street size 18-20. I tried on all types of dresses. I got mine at Alfred angleo. We narrowed it down to 2 dresses. One was a ball gown, the other was a a-line. I had a very hard time picking between the two, but I decided on the A-line. I loved the way the ball gown looked on me but I was using my mom's veil which has lace in it. The dress I chose is all lace.  Try all different dresses don't be scared enjoy and have fun! Good Luck!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards