Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Straight Hair Problems

I have very straight hair and while it will curl, it has never held a curl for long. Every stylist insists that they can make it work and, so far, it never has. I really want to wear my hair down with beach waves or big curls. I have long hair. Does anyone have any suggestions on making the curl stay?

Re: Straight Hair Problems

• Options
    One tip I've heard several times from multiple stylists is to come in with "dirty" hair. To get your hair done Saturday morning, wash it for the last time Friday night (even if you normally wash it every morning). It'll hold a curl better,

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My hair can't hold a curl for very long, but I went to a dry bar in the city and by some miracle, the guy gave me big beautiful curls that lasted quite a while.  It look a lot of hair spray and he used a thick curling iron.  That was the only time the curls lasted, and I actually washed my hair about 8 or so hours before I got to the dry bar and he said the style would stay better if I didn't get my hair washed. It's all about trial and error and how they curl your hair.  I went to another place (blowout bar) and they washed my hair before curling it.  The woman curled my hair with a flat iron and they didn't stay long at all.  Maybe an hour or two.  

If you get greasy easily, you will want to wash your hair the night before.  I used shampoo and only a dab of conditioner.  
  • Options
    My hair doesn't like to hold a curl either. I washed my hair the night before instead of that morning and my stylist made tighter curls than I really wanted because they fell out a little bit before the wedding started. It worked out well, but my hair was definitely only half curled by the end of the night. It held up for the ceremony and pictures though.
  • Options
    I have super straight hair that will hold a curl for a few hours, but never more than that (even multiple pros have struggled with keeping it curled for longer than a few hours at a time!). While I love how my hair looks curly and down, I'm wearing it up for my wedding so I don't have to worry about it falling and looking disheveled by the time we're sitting down to dinner. 

My best friend had luck with hair extensions. She has a similar hair type and got some clip-in pieces that were longer/thicker than her normal hair and held a curl really well. They looked super natural and stayed pretty curly (though I did touch them up for her after pictures but before the ceremony). 
  • Options
    I think you can try out different techniques between now and the wedding, but you may have to be fine with the curls falling out during the day or going with another hairstyle altogether. 

My hair also doesn't hold curls very well. These are some tips that work for me:

- Start with hair that was washed the previous day (if your hair doesn't look greasy)
    - Use a 1 inch or 1.25 inch curling iron (will make tight curls, but they'll loosen) 
    - Watch some YouTube videos to see different ways of using a curling iron. Some people start curling from the very bottom and wind it up. I find that these curls don't hold very long. I prefer starting at my scalp and then winding the hair into the curling iron. It's difficult to describe, that's why I say you can check out YouTube videos. 
    - Before curling a section, lightly spray with hairspray (you don't want to do this often because the hairspray/heat combination isn't good for your hair)
    - After you've curled the hair, roll the curl around your finger and pin it on your scalp
    - Unpin the hair 10-20 minutes later

Alternatively, you could use a flat iron. For me this works better than the first curling iron method I described but not the second. 

• Options
    If your hair never holds a curl well, it will probably be the same on your wedding day. A friend of mine with stick-straight hair recently wore her hair down & curled for her wedding and her curls looked sad and sweaty and saggy in all her reception photos. 

I have very straight/fine hair that won't hold a curl so I'm going with an updo at my wedding just for the guarantee that it will look the same the entire day. I LOVE how my hair looks down & curly but I know the curls won't hold no matter how hard I try, so it's just not worth it. 

If you're going to take the risk, the one thing I would recommend is Kenra Volume Spray hairspray (you can buy it at Ulta)  It's pricey, but it's the only thing that will even come close to holding a curl in my hair. I used it for my E pics and I was shocked that my curls lasted through the entire 2 hour session (although it was luckily a cool non-humid day)
    --

• Options
    Use a dry shampoo in your hair to thicken and dirty it up. That will help hold the curl. 
  • Options
    I have the same problem and have never found anything that works for a long hold. Dirty hair helps mine stay for a couple hours, but then it's back to being bone straight. 

If I were you, I'd find an alternative hairstyle you like that works with your hair, not against it. If you decide to go this route anyway, I'd definitely a trial so you know if it's going to hold all day. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    My hair is the same way. The only way they have gotten my hair to hold curl was to use freeze hairspray.  A girl at the bridal show and I were talking and she promised she will get my hair to hold curl. She used a flat iron on my hair and the curls held in my hair. She told me if you use a flat iron it has to be over 400 degrees.  The next day I looked at my hair it still had the curls in it. I am really sad that I can't use her for my hair when I get married because they will not be open on my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My hair is the same way.  Perfectly straight and will barely hold a curl.  For my trial I had two small pieces in the front that she left down and curled, a few hours later they were straight and I had to re-curl them.  I'm going with a low updo.  Extensions might help since they will hold a curl better, but you need to test the waters and try out different places.  I went to a dry bar in Manhattan once and my hair had big beautiful curls that lasted over a day.  The guy used a thick curling iron and LOTS of hairspray (my phone was sitting out during the process and was COVERED in hairspray by the end)  I went to another place in DC and the curls lasted an hour before they looked horrible and fallen.  That time I had my hair washed and dried at the place and the woman used a flat iron.  Not sure if she just didn't use enough hairspray or what but it was a waste of time and $$.  
  • Options

My hair is the same way. To make it worse, I had to get my hair done at 7am, wedding was at 1pm, and posed photos were at 5pm, so my hair had to last around 12 hours.  I went 24 hours without washing. We did a trial a few days earlier and it lasted about 2 hours.  So, on wedding day they did REALLY tight curls and a LOT of hairspray. By the wedding ceremony & reception, it was still a nice loose curl / beach wave.  By posed photos it was mostly straight with just the slightest wave.  It was just enough wave left to add some life to it and look good.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards