Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Wedding Etiquette HELP!

My fiancé and I are having a destination wedding in May in Yosemite. We found a place that we absolutely loved, The Redwoods in Yosemite. All of our guests will be driving in, the longest drive being 4 hours or so. Many of the guests are staying the night. Should we host a rehearsal dinner of some sort? Our wedding is going to be very simple and laid back. Also, what is acceptable food wise? We wanted a lunch reception, but I feel this would be rude. We had guests drive all that way and then the ceremony and lunch and the rest of their day is free? Any ideas? I want everyone to have a good time, but my fiancé and I don't necessarily have the money to shell out money for a bunch of activities

Re: Destination Wedding Etiquette HELP!

• It is just a 4 hour trip, most people can return home if they want. So then I wouldn't feel like you are obligated to entertain on your wedding day. If you want to compromise, you can send out in the invites of a group activity for the evening but it would have to be at cost to them if they wanted to join. This is your day and the two of you should enjoy it.
  •  

It is just a 4 hour trip, most people can return home if they want. So then I wouldn't feel like you are obligated to entertain on your wedding day. If you want to compromise, you can send out in the invites of a group activity for the evening but it would have to be at cost to them if they wanted to join. This is your day and the two of you should enjoy it.

Um, no.

If you are going to invite people to any wedding activity, you have to host it. It is rude to ask guests to shell out ANY money for your wedding, other than travel costs.

Having a lunch reception is totally fine. You have to host a reception to thank your guests for attending. If your ceremony is in the morning, then having a lunch reception makes complete sense as it's against etiquette to have a gap between the ceremony and reception.

You may want to consider posting this on the etiquette board, as you will get excellent advice on how to properly host out of town guests. I can also move your post for you if you'd like.

• It is just a 4 hour trip, most people can return home if they want. So then I wouldn't feel like you are obligated to entertain on your wedding day. If you want to compromise, you can send out in the invites of a group activity for the evening but it would have to be at cost to them if they wanted to join. This is your day and the two of you should enjoy it.
    The day quits being about only the two of you once you invite guests.  If you invite them, you host them properly.  I don't know how a couple COULD enjoy their day if they didn't host their guests properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards