Not Engaged Yet

this just happened (made me LOL and SMH)

I work in a call center and one of the temps next to me was spelling something out for a client and said "O like apostrophe."

...I feel like I should correct him, but the awkwardness would be too much

Re: this just happened (made me LOL and SMH)

• Haha...that's so weird. I don't even say apostrophe in a way where it would start with an a. I would be confused if I was on the phone with him.

• Oh no... I'm a stickler for spelling. I wouldn't say anything either but it would be killing me!

• Wow. I'm twitching out of ... irritation? Discomfort?
  • That's really weird. I would be very confused too. Do people pronounce it like "o-pos-trophy"? I have always pronounced it with an "ah" sound, but I guess it could differ based on region (like soda vs pop vs coke?). 

• He always uses weird words (like m for makeshift or e for everything), but this is the first time he's used something so wrong. I am twitching all day sitting by him!!
  • Maybe e-mail him a link to the standard phonetic alphabet (Alpha Bravo Charlie etc)? I don't know, I don't have the thing memorized (although granted I also don't work in a call center) but I tend to use either common names when I spell something out or else words I don't think can be misheard as beginning with any other letter.

I don't think I'd be able to resist saying something. I mean, that's just egregiously wrong and could be very confusing to his clients.
  • I worked at call center help desk and I printed out the military phonetic alphabet.  I think one of the managers heard a mistake like that because they started sending out the military one about once a month asking people to 'please use it'.  Could you maybe do the same thing but say 'Hey in case you get stuck - here's a list'.

So funny though!!

Anniversary
  • I use common names when I do that. I remember one time I got stuck on Y, and I was just like Y like...uh...' and the other guy was like 'yellow? Got it.' I dont like the military one personally, but it is easier than having to come up with something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards