Catholic Weddings

Rite of Christian Engagement

bear1229bear1229 member
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited February 2015 in Catholic Weddings
My boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years now. When we decide to get engaged (in the next few months), we are planning on a church engagement, because of different circumstances involving families and vocational discernment. We have planned that it should follow the private form, because if a Mass were to follow it might confuse our non-Catholic family (Of our family, his father is the only semi-Catholic and is incredibly marginal at that). Our favorite deacon has said that when that day comes he would be honored to witness it. Following the custom of the Church, we would announce the wedding date then as well.

My question is: I have heard of people doing the engagement followed by the Mass, but not the one as it is in the Catholic Household Blessings & Prayers. Has anyone here done the private one?

[Edit: correcting my spelling]

Re: Rite of Christian Engagement

• bear1229 said:
    My boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years now. When we decide to get engaged (in the next few months), we are planning on a church engagement, because of different circumstances involving families and vocational discernment. We have planned that it should follow the private form, because if a Mass were to follow it might confuse our non-Catholic family (Of our family, his father is the only semi-Catholic and is incredibly marginal at that). Our favorite deacon has said that when that day comes he would be honored to witness it. Following the custom of the Church, we would announce the wedding date then as well.

My question is: I have heard of people doing the engagement followed by the Mass, but not the one as it is in the Catholic Household Blessings & Prayers. Has anyone here done the private one?
    I'm sure it will, because I'm confused and have no idea what you are talking about. What is a church engagement? In my huge, traditional Catholic family and 12 years of Catholic schooling, I've never heard of what you re referring to...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I am also confused and I am a practicing Catholic. I have not known anyone who did something like this.  Best I could find was this form on the topic, CLICKY.

I am guessing that you want to invite your family to witness your engagement in the church, followed by a blessing? I would talk to the deacon again and ask him about details.
  • Thank you for your comments,

To clarify, the Rite of Christian Engagement is the formal blessing of the engaged couple in the church, but it does not have to take place in a church. And unless you want it to be a public engagement where a priest would preside over the blessing and then the mass (must be in a church).

Reasons why we are not considering the public engagement (in a church) are our parents might see it as a wedding, we want to keep it from being too formal, and it is not a normal occurrence.
  • I only recently heard of this.  Is this what you mean?  https://www.facebook.com/groups/387114218118738/387191848110975/

FWIW, when my husband & I got engaged, we asked for a formal blessing from a priest shorlty after our engagement.  It was absolutely beautiful and I highly encourage anyone to do it.  He read from the book of blessings (I don't know the formal name of it), and I cried.  
  • I don't know about the facebook group, but yes that this what I am talking about.
  • Yes, this is done in the Melkite Catholic Church!  It's referred to as the betrothal ceremony.  Ours took place at a reception that was unoffically the "engagement party."  We didn't have a Mass following it, though.  I think it's a wonderful thing to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards