Wedding Party
Options

Parent's Gifts

barca09barca09 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 2015 in Wedding Party
Question about thank you gifts for parents. My parents have handled/will be handling the cost of the wedding and have helped a ton in general. We know we're getting them something for a thank you gift. Is it typical to get the Groom's parents a gift? I just don't know the etiquette on who gets what! Maybe a nice engraved frame of one of our wedding photos once they're developed? Do you also get other participants in the wedding a gift? Like Ceremony Readers, Ushers, etc? Just want to make sure I've got my bases covered!

Re: Parent's Gifts

• Options

FI and I got each parent a gift, regardless of their monetary contribution to the wedding.  To us, the gifts are thanking them for welcoming us into their family,

• Options
    Thank you! I know it's not about a monetary thing, we just haven't had any offers to help in any other way. I'm thinking an engraved frame with a wedding photo for each of them would be a nice gesture! 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    barca09 said:

Thank you! I know it's not about a monetary thing, we just haven't had any offers to help in any other way. I'm thinking an engraved frame with a wedding photo for each of them would be a nice gesture! 

I agree that it's a nice gesture.  But you shouldn't expect them to help out with anything or choose your gift based on whether or not they do or don't help.

**edited by admin to remove OP's full name**
  • Options
    barca09 said:

We got them things that aren't necessarily wedding-related.  We're also going to give them framed pictures, but we wanted to get them other things for the wedding.  I got both moms jewelery (not to wear at the wedding), and FI is taking care of the dad's gifts.
  • Options
    Thank you! I was just going to ask what you got for your fiance's parents. I just don't know etiquette wise what you do, if you get both parent's the gifts or just for the parents who host the wedding. Not trying to sound like they don't deserve them! Just seeing who gets what and want to make sure everyone is covered! Did you also get ceremony readers and ushers gifts? 
  • Options
    barca09 said:

Thank you! I was just going to ask what you got for your fiance's parents. I just don't know etiquette wise what you do, if you get both parent's the gifts or just for the parents who host the wedding. Not trying to sound like they don't deserve them! Just seeing who gets what and want to make sure everyone is covered! Did you also get ceremony readers and ushers gifts? 

We aren't having ushers, but we are gettng our readers each gift cards to restaurants they like

• Options
    My parents paid for our wedding.  We did not get them a gift.  My ILs paid for the RD and nothing else.  We did not get them a gift.  What we did give them were huge hugs and lots of "I love yous and thank yous."  At Christmas we gave them each a small album of wedding pictures.

Parent gifts are a nice gesture but are certainly not required.

We did get gifts for our wedding party and our officiant who was a very close friend.

• Options
    Awesome, thank you! 
  • Options
    Thank you Maggie! From what I've gathered, it's not a necessity to get the parents (either set) a gift. Just the thoughtfulness! I just want to make sure I've got all my bases covered so by July it will be smooth (as can be) sailing haha
  • Options
    Gifts for your parents and wedding party are not required, but are definitely a nice gesture, regardless of what they've contributed. If you get your parents a gift, pick out something you know they will enjoy. We are getting our parents a nice album of our wedding, which our photographer has offered to do as part of our package. My mother flat out said "All I want is an album with some nice photos." Done.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We are getting gifts for my parents (who paid for the wedding) and his parents (who paid for RD).  We are also getting gifts for our bridal party.  I think that these are nice things to do as they spent a ton of money to be in your wedding so giving a thank you gift is a nice gesture.  You do not need to spend a ton of money on the gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards