Chit Chat

Mr. Nimoy :(

edited February 2015 in Chit Chat
So sad to hear about Leonard Nimoys passing.

I grew up watching Star Trek at my grandparents house, and it was my first foray into my love of geekery

RIP Spock!

ETA: If you're into all things geeky, what was your first exposure to it?

Re: Mr. Nimoy :(

• I just now saw that on the news. I'm so sad :( 
  • I don't usually cry for celebrities, but I am crying for him. 

I know he lived a long, full life and I shouldn't be so sad. But my fondest childhood memories are of sitting in the basement with my grandfather, watching Star Trek and Star Wars and wondering what space was really like. A lot of my conscience came from wondering what Spock or Bones would do in a situation. 

He will be sorely missed by many people. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:

I don't usually cry for celebrities, but I am crying for him. 

I know he lived a long, full life and I shouldn't be so sad. But my fondest childhood memories are of sitting in the basement with my grandfather, watching Star Trek and Star Wars and wondering what space was really like. A lot of my conscience came from wondering what Spock or Bones would do in a situation. 

A lot of people I know were introduced to Star Trek and Star Wars by their grandparents!

I have so many memories of sitting on the floor in their living room watching it and wondering about whats out there!
  • I heard he was sick.

My mom loved watching Star Trek

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • When we got engaged, FI's mom told us to "live long and prosper." She's a huge Start Trek fan. That's when I knew she truly accepted me into their family. 
  • FI is devastated:( 

He knows all the movies word for word and thinks that he is just the greatest. A lot of his childhood revolves around star trek, and I think a lot of it was his 'escape' from bullies. 
  • So very sad. And that feels so understated.
  • WHAT?!?!?! No! I loved Spock. So sad.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm pretty upset about it. I absolutely love Star Trek.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Such a loss :(

I used to watch Star Trek when I was really little. I would wake up hours before my parents, grab a juice box and hunker down in front of the TV to watch 'the pyjama people'.
  • Me and FI are pretty torn up about it.  We love all the Star Trek series, and they play a big part in what we do together.  

My parents own all the movies, and I grew up watching them.

Last night we were watching Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and it was the episode where they go back in time to the original Star Trek episode The Trouble with Tribbles.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Inkdancer said:

I don't usually cry for celebrities, but I am crying for him. 

A lot of people I know were introduced to Star Trek and Star Wars by their grandparents!

I have so many memories of sitting on the floor in their living room watching it and wondering about whats out there!
    Yeah, my granddad is a huge nerd. He has a replica of the USS Enterprise by his bed! It was his dream to work for NASA but circumstances kept him from going to space, so he lived vicariously through captains Solo and Kirk. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I was in high school during the original Star Trek series, and I adored the character of Spock.  I think that is why I chose to marry a man with brains instead of brawn.  Logical.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Very sad. I loved him! I was lucky enough to get his autograph via my uncle who interviewed him years ago. It is framed in our apartment. My uncle made it very clear to never sell it since he refused to give out autographs for the last few years. His assistant had mailed it to me directly. Let me tell you, getting a piece of mail from Leonard freaking Nimoy's assistant was the highlight of my year.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • falsara said:

Me and FI are pretty torn up about it.  We love all the Star Trek series, and they play a big part in what we do together.  

My parents own all the movies, and I grew up watching them.

Last night we were watching Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and it was the episode where they go back in time to the original Star Trek episode The Trouble with Tribbles.  
    Best DS9 episode.  It was like somebody found all that footage and wanted to play with their special effects.  So much YES.

I am really sad about Leonard Nimoy.  Not only was he a big part of my childhood as Spock, he also just seemed like an all-around awesome person and nice human being.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Star Trek was a huge part of my childhood and still a big bonding point with my Dad and I. very sad to hear of his passing.

• Sheldon must be devastated.

• Sheldon must be devastated.

Best episode ever.

Ugh. So bummed. There are a handful of celebrities who I would cry over and he was one of them.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards