Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal bags??

This weekend my mom and grandma asked if I'd use a bridal bag. Apparently it's a big drawstring purse that you use to collect cards and/or envelopes when you do table visits. All I could think of was the wedding scene in Goodfellas--literally the ONLY time I'd ever seen anything like this. It might have been a regional thing in the NYC//CT area when my mom and grandma got married, but I've never seen this done at any wedding I've attended in my lifetime. I've only see card boxes or birdcages where guests can discreetly leave cards if they want to. Collecting these so publicly would feel dollar-dancey to me. So while I wouldn't do this, I was curious: has anyone actually ever seen bridal bags used? Or any old school bridal shops that still sell them?

Re: Bridal bags??

• I've never heard of these. It would be awkward, IMO, to walk around with a bag when greeting guests. People will leave cards with the other gifts.
  • I've never heard of these. It would be awkward, IMO, to walk around with a bag when greeting guests. People will leave cards with the other gifts.

Seriously awkward! I mean, if FI were a mobster like the Goodfellas guys I'd consider it just so he wouldn't snatch up gift money shady dealings. But after 4 years together, I'm fairly certain he's not a mob boss :)
  • I think they did that in The Godfather too (at least the book, I haven't seen the movie).  I've never seen it done IRL so I think it would be a waste because a lot of people would have already dropped their cards off at the gift table.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have heard of them but never seen them used.  Could you imagine if you were a guest who didn't bring a card and how awkward you would feel when the couple was coming around to "collect"?

• I have seen them but years ago (like 10+). People now usually use a card box on the gift table. If someone does hand you a card, just say thank you and put it in the card box yourself so you do not lose it.

Anniversary
  • From CT-- I've never seen this, or heard of it. 
  • erinlin25 said:
    I have seen them but years ago (like 10+). People now usually use a card box on the gift table. If someone does hand you a card, just say thank you and put it in the card box yourself so you do not lose it.

Yeah I've never thought to hand a card directly to the bride or groom--they've got so much happening to keep track of already! But if it is a thing with the older generation in my mom's family, at least I'm prepared and aware of it.
  • I grew up in CT and my family is in CT. My mother mentioned something similar (about having a drawstring bag to collect money / cards). I haven't seen anything like that at the weddings I've attended the past few years (but they were all in the Mid-Atlantic area). I think now-a-days, everyone does either a birdcage, or some kind of box.

I agree with everyone. I feel like a bag would be kind of awkward :-/

• edited February 2015
    My mom was JUST talking about this too.  We are also from the NYC/CT/NJ area, so maybe it is a regional thing.   My mom  said this was how a couple use to collect cards back in the day (she was married in the early 80s); she said it was mainly for security purpose so no one could steal the cards. 

I don't think it looks gift grabby, because cards don't always mean money.  Some people just give a card because they want to give you well wishes; however, it does look old fashioned.   I think it would be a PIA to carry a bag around the reception with you. 
  • Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread.  Still an interesting topic though!  
  • @mrsmorales2be, wanna close the zombie thread?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards