Chit Chat

Backing up your data

I've been thinking about this a lot since Jenna's thread a few days ago.  I don't have a ton of stuff that would be devastating to lose, but it would be really inconvenient.  I've been looking into a new external hard drive since mine is a little older and I'm starting to doubt it.  I'm also not sure what the best options for cloud storage would be.  Does anyone have any recommendations for good hard drives/cloud storage?  I have a drop box (the free one) and I'm thinking of purchasing maybe the My Passport or Seagate Plus Slim External Hard Drive, but I'm also not sure if they're the best (reviews seem favorable though). 

What do you all use?

Re: Backing up your data

• I've had the worst luck with external hard drives. They all seem to break on me. I use dropbox to automatically back up the pictures on my phone, which is awesome. You just have to open the app for it to back up. I also use google drive for a lot of important documents and older photos. I like it a lot and I can access stuff from anywhere. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a Seagate external hard drive but so far it only has music on it. All my photos get automatically saved to my Windows cloud, plus some are also on Google Drive and/or Dropbox. My engagement and wedding pictures are on DVDs.

All my old pictures are on my old computers in the garage, lol.

• Off the top of my head I don't recall what brand my hard drive is. I plug it into my Macbook and run Time Machine once in a while. After I an unfortunate incident involving my old laptop and a glass of wine, I ran Time Machine on my new laptop and it was like nothing had changed. So I highly recommend.

In terms of constantly backing up really important stuff, I need to look into that, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I save a lot of stuff to Google drive like spreadsheets, and other important documents.

H saved all our wedding pictures to Dropbox and we also have them on both our computers, his external hard drive and a DVD disk. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We have 2 Western Digital external hard drives, the kind that you can back up wirelessly and then you can access the files from an app on your phone. Can't say I've actually ever tried to access any of the files but it's nice to know I can if I want to.  I think FI has pulled things up before on his though
  • Yes! That's why I'm so mad because the girl had so many options she could have used on my pics!

But anyways, I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I bought 5 years ago on black Friday sale and I've never once had a problem with it. I also have everything on Google Drive. I have about 15 folders on there, from high school pics to vacations to vintage pictures of my parents and grandparents.

• I have a small external HD and DH got a plan through Crashplan, which is an online storage.  I just use both.  

• I have a My Passport from undergrad that still works. I recently switched to the AirPort Extreme and I run time machine automatically all the time, which is convenient but $$$ for the actual drive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I have an external hard drive (seagate? maybe?) for everything on my laptop, then I also back up photos & documents on google drive, and triple/quadruple back up photos on the cloud and flickr. I probably have 10,000 photos and I would absolutely, positively DIE if I lost them. Plus, I like to have access to them when I'm not home (e.g. near my laptop &/or the hard drive).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Between us, DH and I have about 7TB worth of externals, with my 3TB storing backups of all our major stuff. I have all our wedding pics on Dropbox, and all my writing stuff on Google Drive.

A friend of ours recently moved and her new place (in the "safer part of town") was burgled. They took her laptop, which she'd been using for her PhD, which she is seriously close to being done with. Luckily she had been emailing it to herself along the way, and had backup flashdrives stashed all over, or it would have been YEARS of her life gone.

When I heard, I went straight for the external and started backing all the important stuff up again.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • As a result of that thread about the photos, I just saved all my documents and pictures to my Google Drive. I think it took under 50% of the free space I get. I believe you can also pay something like 5-10 bucks a month to get either larger or unlimited storage.
  • @artbyallie Me too, my thousands of pictures only take up half the google limit right now. I figure if I ever max it out, instead of upgrading to the pay, I'll just make a second free account! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards