Registry and Gift Forum

How to announce a registry?

I am currently planning my wedding and my FI and I are currently designing our invitations.  We have registered already.  How/where do you tell people about your registry?  Do you include as part of the invite?  This seems like a Weddings 101 question, I just have no idea.  Thanks in advance!

Re: How to announce a registry?

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    You don't list it on your wedding invite.  It CAN be listed on a shower invite if one is given for you.  You can also list it on your wedding website if you have one.  Otherwise, if people ask, you can let them know where you're registered.
  • mlg78 said:

You don't list it on your wedding invite.  It CAN be listed on a shower invite if one is given for you.  You can also list it on your wedding website if you have one.  Otherwise, if people ask, you can let them know where you're registered.

I've always been on the fence about this suggestion.  I don't disagree with it, but I always feel uneasy about the recommendation.  I usually rule it under "victimless crime".

OP, the other thing you can do is let your folks, and perhaps a FEW key people, aware of your registry information.  If extended family members ask, it is the easiest and best way to have the information spread by word of mouth. 
  • MobKaz said:

mlg78 said:

I've always been on the fence about this suggestion.  I don't disagree with it, but I always feel uneasy about the recommendation.
      I usually rule it under "victimless crime".

OP, the other thing you can do is let your folks, and perhaps a FEW key people, aware of your registry information.  If extended family members ask, it is the easiest and best way to have the information spread by word of mouth. 

Ditto on the bolded. I put it on our website for a day, and took it down the next because it made me feel squirmy. Googling the couple to find the registry is so easy, so it seems unnecessary to have it on the website. If it's on your website, OP, make sure it's a bit buried in a tab. Don't display it on the front page.

My biggest recommendation is to make sure your registries are searchable, so Googlers like me can easily find them. There's zero need to "announce" your registries.

• You can't include your registry information in your wedding invitations.  Registry information can be given on a shower invitation or on your wedding website.   People may ask where you're registered.   If they ask you, then you are allowed to give them that information.  
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    MobKaz said:

mlg78 said:

I've always been on the fence about this suggestion.  I don't disagree with it, but I always feel uneasy about the recommendation.  I usually rule it under "victimless crime".

I agree. I know that most people find it to be acceptable, but I also find it a little grabby. I don't judge people for it, but I personally would never be comfortable with that.

OP, you never announce your registry or ask for gifts. If people want to know, they will ask or google you. If your shower host wants to include that on the shower invitation, that's their decision. 
  • I am currently planning my wedding and my FI and I are currently designing our invitations.  We have registered already.  How/where do you tell people about your registry?  Do you include as part of the invite?  This seems like a Weddings 101 question, I just have no idea.  Thanks in advance!

It wouldn't be appropriate to 'announce' where you're registered. Some retailers will even give you little card inserts where you can fill in your registry number to include in your wedding invitations, but that would be tacky to do. They just want to make money, and have zero regard for etiquette.

If someone offers to throw you a shower, they could include that info on a shower invite only, but not the actual wedding invite.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Just mention it n passing to the blabbermouths of the family. It doesn't belong anywhere near the invitation, no matter what the stores might tell you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards