Registry and Gift Forum

Not enough on my registry ??

We are registered at Macys, Crate and Barrel and Amazon.  Combined we had about 150 gifts on all three.  250 people  are invited to the wedding and 100 to the shower. We have been receiving a TON of housewares for Christmas and our birthdays, most of it is on the registry but the people giving it to us are not buying it from the registry.  This has resulted in a lot of duplicates so we are removing stuff from the registry which is making our registry even smaller.  Our apartment is currently being renovated and since we both work far away from each other we have been living apart until the apartment is done, however both places we are living are furnished and stocked while our new place is not.  We are literally bringing nothing to our new place so the registry is extremely helpful for us.  I am nervous that we do not have enough on the registry, especially for the shower. And since it keeps getting smaller since we are getting duplicates for other occasions I am not sure what to do. Currently between all 3 we have about 100 gifts.  Is it appropriate to put furniture on a registry?  As far as basic housewares go we have either put it on the registry or received it already.  I am just not sure what else to add to it...

Re: Not enough on my registry ??

• mrsbanany said:
    We are registered at Macys, Crate and Barrel and Amazon.  Combined we had about 150 gifts on all three.  250 people  are invited to the wedding and 100 to the shower. We have been receiving a TON of housewares for Christmas and our birthdays, most of it is on the registry but the people giving it to us are not buying it from the registry.  This has resulted in a lot of duplicates so we are removing stuff from the registry which is making our registry even smaller.  Our apartment is currently being renovated and since we both work far away from each other we have been living apart until the apartment is done, however both places we are living are furnished and stocked while our new place is not.  We are literally bringing nothing to our new place so the registry is extremely helpful for us.  I am nervous that we do not have enough on the registry, especially for the shower. And since it keeps getting smaller since we are getting duplicates for other occasions I am not sure what to do. Currently between all 3 we have about 100 gifts.  Is it appropriate to put furniture on a registry?  As far as basic housewares go we have either put it on the registry or received it already.  I am just not sure what else to add to it...
    Thats a big shower.

If there are 100 gifts on your registry, and a 100 people invited to your shower, yes I would add more stuff to your registry. You should also have a variety of pieces at a variety of prices. Make sure you have items  in the $1 $25 range and the $25 - $50 range.

As far as furniture. Some people side eye big ticket things like sofas. I personally don't side eye unless you have like, a whole room setting, but it is something to keep in mind. 

That said, accent furniture is usually fair game. End tables, accent tables, mirrors, lamps, rugs, serving trays, bar carts, bookcases, picture frames, wall art, etc.

Do you have sheet sets? Blankets? Towels? Shower curtains? Toilet scrub brush? Baskets to organize cleaning supplies? Do you have small appliances? Toaster oven, blender, stand mixer?

Anniversary
  • I know, it's huge.... My mom and FMIL decided to cohost it since it is such a large group.  We have all of those things on the registry and at this point I am considering just putting the same thing but in different colors, like sheets and towels. I also think I will have to start putting accent furniture on there. Has that happened to people before where they get housewares as gifts for other occasions because it is really making the whole registry thing much more complicated. 
  • A 100 person shower sounds dreadful!  They can't split it into your side and his side and have two?

Look up random peoples registries to get more ideas.  I'm sure you're forgetting some things.  Also, Amazon opens up a huge range of things... What about tools? Games? Electronics?
  • mlg78 said:
    A 100 person shower sounds dreadful!  They can't split it into your side and his side and have two?

Look up random peoples registries to get more ideas.  I'm sure you're forgetting some things.  Also, Amazon opens up a huge range of things... What about tools? Games? Electronics?
    Looking at other peoples registries can help. Shit, I keep an amazon tab open on my desktop so anytime I'm like "Oh, we could use a new spatula" I put on in the cart so I don't forget.

Need new luggage? Great time to get it, put it on the registry, even if you don't get it as a gift, you'll get the completion discount.

I love hanging my hang dry clothes on there when it's too cold to put them outside.

Anniversary
  • I would beef it up a bit since you have such a large number of guests coming to the shower, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. You are likely to get some cash gifts (although only you know your crowd), which you can save up for when you do move to buy furniture. 
  • I wouldn't put extra stuff on your registry unless you need/want that stuff.  Filling just to fill seems like you will end up with a bunch of stuff that will be sitting there unused years later.  sound like since you are starting from scratch it would be nice to have gift cards/cash to buy some of that bigger stuff later so not having 500 items on a registry might be ok.
  • edited February 2015
    I assume you know that you don't invite every woman who is invited to the wedding to the shower. You invite your nearest and dearest. Watching a bride open 100 gifts is going to make for a dreadfully long event.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I don't think there's an issue with putting furniture on there, as long as it's not thousands of dollars. We have a $700 grill on ours. I don't expect one person to buy it but was thinking if a group of friends or family wanted to pool money for a group gift they could do that.  Just be sure you have plenty of lower cost items as well.  

As far as adding extra items I agree that you probably should try to come up with some more due to your shower and wedding size, because if there isn't anything on a registry for people to buy, they'll end up buying things you may never use.  

We actually already own a house together, but I still registered for extra sheets, as we currently only have one set per bed, and it would be nice to have extras, same with towels.  I also registered for extra blankets, because some overnight guests we have may get colder than we do.  I also did things like lamps and decor items.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I don't think there's an issue with putting furniture on there, as long as it's not thousands of dollars. We have a $700 grill on ours. I don't expect one person to buy it but was thinking if a group of friends or family wanted to pool money for a group gift they could do that.  Just be sure you have plenty of lower cost items as well.  

As far as adding extra items I agree that you probably should try to come up with some more due to your shower and wedding size, because if there isn't anything on a registry for people to buy, they'll end up buying things you may never use.  

We actually already own a house together, but I still registered for extra sheets, as we currently only have one set per bed, and it would be nice to have extras, same with towels.  I also registered for extra blankets, because some overnight guests we have may get colder than we do.  I also did things like lamps and decor items.

Ok I'm glad I saw this about the grill because it made me check target since we had a 15% off registry coupon and we were able to buy the grill FI really wants with lots of discounts. Awesome!
  • I assume you know that you don't invite every woman who is invited to the wedding to the shower. You invite your nearest and dearest. Watching a bride open 100 gifts is going to make for a dreadfully long event.

I went to a couple's baby shower with 45-50 people, and the gift opening was ridiculously long and awkard/difficult to see with so many people there.  Almost nobody got to actually talk with the parents-to-be.  100 people sounds like a god-awful nightmare. 

• I can't get past 100 people at a shower. Holy crap. I had 20 at one and 30 at another and that felt like more than enough. Can you trim that list at all, especially since you don't need that much stuff??

• Believe me, the bridal shower thing is a topic of great debate in my family.  I tried really really hard to slim it down but both my mother and FMIL literally refused to budge on who they say "has to come" the shower (which is literally every woman invited to the wedding).  That is why they are both paying for it. It was way too much to ask of my MOH especially when she first told me she was hosting it and I told her I expected about 30-40 people.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards