Wedding Reception Forum

DIY Vintage Photo Booth??

Hey all, I love photo booths and was planning on having one for my wedding. However, they are pretty pricey and becoming rather mainstream.

I was considering doing a DIY booth with a paper moon we could do ourselves like in the photo below. I have an old photo of my great grandparents in one from the 30's that I love!

My concern is our wedding is not at all vintage/Gatsby style, but rather a colorful/rustic theme. I was thinking about framing the photo and putting it near the booth. Do you think this would be ok, and/or do you think you would have fun posing in one at a wedding? thanks!

Re: DIY Vintage Photo Booth??

• I did exactly this, and it rocked. Everyone loved it. I threw together a trunk full of hats and accessories, and it was busy all night.

My moon, the day before my daughter's wedding:

Wedding pictures are on the other PC, but from Facebook photos I have a couple:

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I thought photobooths were novel a few years ago when they first got popular.  Now I'm pretty over it.  The only fun is getting the strip or the print to stick on my fridge for a little while after the event.  This set up removes that redeeming quality to me--the printed out photo.  Without the printed out photo, I'd skip it.  And I'm not much for props.  In this scenario, I'd rather have someone take a nice photo of my H and I dressed up, or with you and your H with a neutral background, but certainly nowhere near what I see as a tacky moon.

I was also very conscious of things I perceived as clutter at my wedding.  I had all the appetizers passed--I didn't want to have stations taking up space.  I also had a limited amount of space to work with at my more intimately sized venue.  I wouldn't have wanted all this to take up space.

If you love it and it's the sentimental touch you're looking for, do it.  If it doesn't fit with the space and flow of the venue, or you'll get your feelings hurt that people don't want photos with a big moon, I'd omit it.  I think most of my guests would have skipped.

ETA: only moon I've seen at a party was at Jerry Bruckheimer's Studio 54-themed birthday.  The set up was fantastic, all kinds of disco theme treats.  They included the spoon with it with fake cocaine.  So this leaves me wondering where the coke is in the back of my head, and kind of snickering inside at the pic of the old people.  Maybe old people like snow.  :)
  • I think the moon photobooth is adorable...especially with the picture of your great grandparents.  Not everyone is going to want a picture with it, but I imagine plenty of people will.  If you like the look of it, and you have the space at your venue, go for it!
  • I was getting ready to page @ohannabelle to this thread, but mamma beat me to it  :)
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards