Registry and Gift Forum

Coupon Question

FI and I are registered at BB&B and Williams Sonoma. Both stores off email coupons (usually the standard 20% off when signing up for emails).
Would it be good or bad of me to mention they offer coupons on our website? And if I did, what would be the best way to word it?
If it's a stupid idea, let me know, but I'm always in the interest of saving a little money.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Coupon Question

• aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I would probably avoid this. I know you have great intentions here and I more than anyone love coupons! But I think reading something like this in "black and white" on a website would come off as controlling or gift grabby. I am 100% sure that is not how you mean it but it could come off as "spend 20% more than you usually would bc there is a coupon!"

People are generally smart when it comes to this and a quick trip to either of the vendors websites will produce ads that they can click on to get the coupon. In the case or BB&B they have got to have seen them in their mailbox every week. :)

Bottom Line: Just post links to your registry on the website. If people ask where you are registered let them know and point them to the registry. They will figure it out.  
  • I think this is pretty common knowledge.  I know that whenever I buy anything online, I also google a promo code.   Trust that people can find their own deals. 
  • This would be gift grabby to me as well. It's like a sale sign outside a store - it prompts to you to go in and buy. Don't inadvertently prompt your guests to buy you a gift. I know you probably have good intentions, but I'd post the registry links and leave it at that.

I'm jealous of people who don't have their mailbox spammed with BB&B coupons constantly.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    This is super tacky.  Everyone knows BB&B is a coupon whore.  No need to point this out.
  • I think most people want to save as much money as possible in their everyday lives.  I do not think it is necessary to offer a suggestion that they use a coupon on your gift.  It is definitely tacky.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for confirming what I was thinking everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think it's a great idea to include the coupon! Since they will be buying for the BB&B website anyways, they can always add the promo code during check out!
  • I think it's a great idea to include the coupon! Since they will be buying for the BB&B website anyways, they can always add the promo code during check out!

No.  Because this.

mlg78 said:

This is super tacky.  Everyone knows BB&B is a coupon whore.  No need to point this out.

You give consistently terrible advice.

Glad you sorted it out, OP. 

To lurkers: It's tacky.  Everyone and their mother knows that you can hoard BBB coupons and use them on every purchase.  I used 17 the other day at once.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards