Chit Chat

Readings

2»

Re: Readings

• I've seen that Kindergarten one recommended so many times and I just can't get on board with how advice to flush the toilet belongs in a wedding. If I heard that as a guest, I would probably die from trying to contain the laughter.

Bahaha! yeah, I was trying to figure out if we could just omit that. I mean, yeah, we CAN, but since I write I feel like it's really wrong to alter someone else's work so... Maybe we'll just exclude that as an option. lol. Especially if it's recommended all the time. There's some stuff  I like that I avoid only because it has become super popular and I don't like being attached to certain trends. Just my own weird thing. 

This is why I love you ladies! Super helpful with decisions :) 
  • pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    We're not having readings. Honestly, I don't really know much about them. I don't recall going to a wedding in which there have been readings. We would like the ceremony to be short, sweet, and simple pretty much.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• RosieC18 said:

I'm a secular Jew and my husband is a fairly devout mainline Protestant so we did one old testament, one new and one secular. My favorite was the secular, which is from a book - Captain Coreilli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. I admit to feeling a little weird that we used a quote from a book I've never read. We really liked it in comparison to a lot of the other "love" themed readings we saw because we really wanted to emphasize that the commitment we made to one another was about more than warm feelings, but building a life together.

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your root was so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.

Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all t he pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

I love that passage. Neither BF or I are Christian but we want to have that read at our "sometime down the road" wedding.

• We agonized over our readings. We both loved Corinthians so we used that, and then we settled on this http://www.taylormali.com/poems-online/how-falling-in-love-is-like-owning-a-dog/ because it's cute and we have two beagles :) and this one http://www.todays-weddings.com/planning/readings/blessing_marriage.html because it is beautiful.
  • We had a completely non-religious ceremony because my husband is atheist.  We used "Union" by Robert Fulghum (same guy who did the Kindergarten one above) as our reading.

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance 
    to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. 
    From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, 
    you have been making commitments in an informal way.

All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, 
    or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, 
    "When we're married", and continued with "I will" and "you will" and "we will" – 
    all those late night talks that included "someday" and "somehow" and "maybe" – 
    and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. 
    All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make 
    are a way of saying to one another, 
    "You know all those things that we've promised, and hoped, and dreamed – 
    well, I meant it all, every word."

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. 
    Before this moment you have been many things to one another – 
    acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, 
    for you have learned much from one another these past few years. 
    Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, 
    and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –

This is my husband. This is my wife.

We did the same one.

• Two pages in and no suggestion of Kahlil Gibran? http://www.katsandogz.com/onmarriage.html
  • Two pages in and no suggestion of Kahlil Gibran? http://www.katsandogz.com/onmarriage.html

It's too religious IMO, and OP said she was having a secular wedding and looking for non religious readings.

• @huskypuppy14 --- whoops' I forgot that part of the criteria. Nevermind!
  • We also had a secular ceremony, and it was pretty tough finding readings that weren't super schmaltzy or heavy on the cute, or new age-y, or just plain bad.

We had DH's sister read from Les Miserables (I don't know where the accents are on my phone), and my sister read a short poem by Thomas Hood. It's called Song, but he apparently named half his poems that, so that doesn't narrow things down much. I really kinda wanted readings from Hitchhiker's Guide and/or Guards! Guards! but DH wouldn't go for it.

If I can get to a computer soonish, I'll add the texts here.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Fi and I chose 1 Cor 13 since we are having a religious wedding but we're doing verses 1-7 from The Message, instead of the usual Love is patient, Love is kind that is overdone IMO.

We were considering the Les Mis reading as well: 

“The future belongs to hearts even more than it does to minds. Love, that is the only thing that can occupy and fill eternity. In the infinite, the inexhaustible is requisite.

Love participates of the soul itself. It is of the same nature. Like it, it is the divine spark; like it, it is incorruptible, indivisible, imperishable. It is a point of fire that exists within us, which is immortal and infinite, which nothing can confine, and which nothing can extinguish. We feel it burning even to the very marrow of our bones, and we see it beaming in the very depths of heaven…

What a grand thing it is to be loved! What a far grander thing it is to love! The heart becomes heroic, by dint of passion. It is no longer composed of anything but what is pure; it no longer rests on anything that is not elevated and great. An unworthy thought can no more germinate in it, than a nettle on a glacier. The serene and lofty soul, inaccessible to vulgar passions and emotions, dominating the clouds and the shades of this world, its follies, its lies, its hatreds, its vanities, its miseries, inhabits the blue of heaven, and no longer feels anything but profound and subterranean shocks of destiny, as the crests of mountains feel the shocks of earthquake.

If there did not exist some one who loved, the sun would become extinct.”

imageimage

• Fi and I chose 1 Cor 13 since we are having a religious wedding but we're doing verses 1-7 from The Message, instead of the usual Love is patient, Love is kind that is overdone IMO.

We were considering the Les Mis reading as well: 

“The future belongs to hearts even more than it does to minds. Love, that is the only thing that can occupy and fill eternity. In the infinite, the inexhaustible is requisite.

Love participates of the soul itself. It is of the same nature. Like it, it is the divine spark; like it, it is incorruptible, indivisible, imperishable. It is a point of fire that exists within us, which is immortal and infinite, which nothing can confine, and which nothing can extinguish. We feel it burning even to the very marrow of our bones, and we see it beaming in the very depths of heaven…

What a grand thing it is to be loved! What a far grander thing it is to love! The heart becomes heroic, by dint of passion. It is no longer composed of anything but what is pure; it no longer rests on anything that is not elevated and great. An unworthy thought can no more germinate in it, than a nettle on a glacier. The serene and lofty soul, inaccessible to vulgar passions and emotions, dominating the clouds and the shades of this world, its follies, its lies, its hatreds, its vanities, its miseries, inhabits the blue of heaven, and no longer feels anything but profound and subterranean shocks of destiny, as the crests of mountains feel the shocks of earthquake.

If there did not exist some one who loved, the sun would become extinct.”

That's the Les Mis reading we used. Everyone loved it.

This was the poem - "Song", by Thomas Hood

The stars are with the voyager
    Wherever he may sail;
    The moon is constant to her time,
    The sun will never fail;
    But follow, follow round the world,
    The green earth and the sea;
    So love is with the lover's heart,
    Wherever he may be.

Wherever he may be, the stars
    Must daily lose their light;
    The moon will veil her in the shade;
    The sun will set at night.
    The sun may set, but constant love
    Will shine when he's away;
    So that dull night is never night,
    And day is brighter day.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • We're doing the Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 reading too. I was surprised because that was FI's pick and he's not very religious. But I really like the sentiment. 

We're also doing Shakespeare's sonnet 116, which was my pick. I love Shakespeare and it's really beautiful. Although now I'm wondering if I should put some sort of explanation in the program, because I don't want everyone to be confused. I don't know.

Shakespeare's Sonnet 116:
    Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    O no; it is an ever-fixed mark, 
    That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
    It is the star to every wandering bark,
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks 
    Within his bending sickle's compass come; 
    Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, 
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
       If this be error and upon me proved,
       I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 
  • There will likely be both Neruda and Garcia Marquez, although we have not decided what, exactly.

I find a lot of writing about love is a little...off. Lots of talk of people "completing" each other or that god-awful Wuthering Heights notion: "He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same… my great thought in living is himself." I don't feel that way, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way about me. My great thought in living is a lot of things, and "he" is ranked very highly, but the idea of unwavering, worship-like devotion is too much for me. It leaves no room for partnership or mutual respect.

I am sure I will have a hard time finding things I like, but that won't stop me from searching!

KatieinBkln I totally agree with you.
    We went with Khalil Gibran's "Marriage"
    You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore. 
    You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days. 
    Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. 
    But let there be spaces in your togetherness, 
    And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. 
    Love one another but make not a bond of love: 
    Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. 
    Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. 
    Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. 
    Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, 
    Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. 
    Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. 
    For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. 
    And stand together, yet not too near together: 
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart, 
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow. 

• There will likely be both Neruda and Garcia Marquez, although we have not decided what, exactly.

I find a lot of writing about love is a little...off. Lots of talk of people "completing" each other or that god-awful Wuthering Heights notion: "He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same… my great thought in living is himself." I don't feel that way, and I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way about me. My great thought in living is a lot of things, and "he" is ranked very highly, but the idea of unwavering, worship-like devotion is too much for me. It leaves no room for partnership or mutual respect.

I am sure I will have a hard time finding things I like, but that won't stop me from searching!

KatieinBkln I totally agree with you.
    We went with Khalil Gibran's "Marriage"
    You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore. 
    You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days. 
    Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. 
    But let there be spaces in your togetherness, 
    And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. 
    Love one another but make not a bond of love: 
    Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. 
    Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. 
    Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. 
    Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, 
    Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. 
    Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. 
    For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. 
    And stand together, yet not too near together: 
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart, 
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow. 

@thisismynickname, that's beautiful!

@knotriley, it seems like I'm not getting notifications when I'm tagged (in addition to the fact that the quote boxes are cutting off people's names, but I'm not the first to notice that). Hopefully YOU get a notification that I tagged you! 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • You ladies have some really awesome readings! We're still on the search. I'm starting to think maybe we should skip readings entirely, or just ask someone to say whatever they want lol. Nothing really seems to fit us. It's either too cute and too juvenile, or too sappy, or too serious, or too religious... and I'm too picky lol 
  • @novella1186 Keep reading....and thinking on it. you'll find one that rings true to both your hearts :)

imageimage

• Not having readings is totally fine. If that's what you want, run with it!

But if you do decide you want a reading (or more), maybe it would help to think about what it is you want to say and then look for readings that fit that, rather than trying to look at traditional wedding readings and picking one. Are there values that you both want to bring to your marriage (service? adventure? challenging each other intellectually? creativity?), or imagery that is important to you (poetry about a favorite place, a symbol that matters to you?). They don't have to be about love or marriage. and you might find something that feels more "you" if you branch out.
  • RosieC18 said:

Not having readings is totally fine. If that's what you want, run with it!

But if you do decide you want a reading (or more), maybe it would help to think about what it is you want to say and then look for readings that fit that, rather than trying to look at traditional wedding readings and picking one. Are there values that you both want to bring to your marriage (service? adventure? challenging each other intellectually? creativity?), or imagery that is important to you (poetry about a favorite place, a symbol that matters to you?). They don't have to be about love or marriage. and you might find something that feels more "you" if you branch out.

This is really great advice. Thank you! 
  • Thanks for bringing these to my attention @KatieinBkln! I'll send this over to tech now.
  • KnotRiley said:

Thanks for bringing these to my attention @KatieinBkln! I'll send this over to tech now.

I got the notification this time. Maybe it's an intermittent glitch.
  • KnotRiley said:

Thanks for bringing these to my attention @KatieinBkln! I'll send this over to tech now.

I got the notification this time. Maybe it's an intermittent glitch.
    We talked about this before, where if people are copy/pasting in your name it doesn't work but typing it in does work. Or something.

• Our ceremony will not be religious. Btw, I love the Dr. Suess quote one poster suggested. There are two readings we are planning on. One is Pablo Neruda's Sonnet XVII from One Hundred Love Sonnets. The other is from the Velveteen Rabbit. A couple years ago I was in a yoga class and the instructor did this Velveteen Rabbit reading right before shavasana. I loved loved loved the Velveteen Rabbit as a kid but hadn't heard it in years and years. It made me cry: 

"What is REAL?" the Velveteen rabbit asked the Skin Horse one day. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
    “Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
    "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. 
    "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
    "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?" 
    "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
  • Our ceremony will not be religious. Btw, I love the Dr. Suess quote one poster suggested. There are two readings we are planning on. One is Pablo Neruda's Sonnet XVII from One Hundred Love Sonnets. The other is from the Velveteen Rabbit. A couple years ago I was in a yoga class and the instructor did this Velveteen Rabbit reading right before shavasana. I loved loved loved the Velveteen Rabbit as a kid but hadn't heard it in years and years. It made me cry: 

"What is REAL?" the Velveteen rabbit asked the Skin Horse one day. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
    “Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
    "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. 
    "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
    "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?" 
    "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
    I read the Velveteen Rabbit to my little babysitting charge the other month and I seriously choked up when I was reading that passage. I had completely forgotten what a lovely book it is, but it really is great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards