Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Help! Reception dance question

My fiancé wants to do the traditional mother son dance at the reception. But I'm stuck because I won't be able to share that moment with my dad because he passed away a few years ago and I don't have another male figure in my life that I'm close enough with to share that special moment with, does anyone have any ideas of alternate ideas to do instead or have you been to weddings where they were in a similar situations and what did they do to still make it special? Any ideas are so appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Help! Reception dance question

• Options
    You don't have to have an alternate idea. Just don't have that dance for yourself. It's not a big deal. Or dance with your mom if you like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ok! I thought about dancing with my mom but she's not really into the idea. I just didn't know if it would matter if it seemed like it was skipped or not?
  • Options
    Nope, not a problem to skip it and just let your groom dance with his mom.
  • Options
    Another vote for you to just skip it.  No big deal.
  • Options
    You can have a mother/son dance, without a father/daughter dance. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Options
    I also lost my dad and chose to not to a dance. It wasn't something I wanted to replace. My husband and his mom still danced.
  • Options
    I would skip it too. I doubt anyone will question it.
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else.  Skip your dance.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I felt it would be awkward to do the mother/son dance and not something else...like it would be a big glaring sign pointing out that my father wasn't there to dance with me. 

Instead, we did a "family dance" where the groom danced with his mom, and at the same time we had about 5 other couples of our immediate families all dancing. I switched off between dancing with an uncle, 2 cousins, and my brother. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards