June 2015 Weddings

Let's talk bridesmaid dresses...

What sort of dresses have you been looking at for your girls? Are you going to stick to one dress for everyone or have different ones for each girl? Are you thinking about doing short or long? What colors will your girls be in? or are you just going to have everyone pick their own? I love to see how everyone is thinking!

Re: Let's talk bridesmaid dresses...

• I'm having my girls pick their own! I'm giving them color swatches (shades of raspberry and watermelon), telling them Above the Knee, and letting them find their own dresses. All I ask is that they text me a pic before they buy it so I can make sure it's the right color lol. I have a BM thats about 5'11 and curvy but not thick with fair skin, medium colored hair, a BM that's 5'6 and skinny fair skin, blonde hair blue eyes, and a BM thats maaaaybe 5',  a size 00 and fair skinned with black hair, all with very different styles and personalities.  I'd rather they pick something that they are comfortable and feel attractive in, rather than me pick 1 dress and make them all look the same.
  • Completely agree... I have three girls, I asked them to keep the same length-ish, (knee length) and neutral colors to match our rustic theme
  • http://www.alfredangelobridal.ca/Collections/Bridesmaids/7289L/?pg=3

This is what my girls will most likely be wearing, in Lilac on top and Eggplant on the bottom (but the Grape looks closer to the actual swatch on my computer screen). It is super unique with the dual colors and my girls already love it!!
  • @singinchick13
    That is a really pretty dress! 
  • My wedding was initially planned for 8/31/13 but we had to postpone for medical reasons.  As a result I am ahead of the game in many areas including the BP dresses.

I asked my BP to choose whatever style dress they felt they would look the best in.  The only thing I asked was that they choose a dress by the same designer, in the color I wanted, and that the dress be long. Basically I was open to different dresses on each girl. However, the ladies in my BP asked me to choose the styles I liked and they as a group picked their favorite one.  They are the best.  They did the same thing for their shoes.  :-) All that is left now is their alterations and accessories.  

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• @island07b2b
    Which designer did you go with? 
  • island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2014
    @SilverGlitter05 - Jim Hjelm

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• I haven't really finalized my bridal party yet.. But this is the dress I have in mind right now. My maid of honor (little sister) absolutely loves it. In the color 'cool mint'.

photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want them to wear long dresses. Haven't picked definite wedding colors yet but this is my inspiration right now:
    I think it would be nice to have 1 in lavender and 1 in plum like the pic 

• I have 3 girls standing with me, all of different body styles and all have different financial situations. We have not decided on colors yet, but truthfully I don't really care what they wear. When I pick the colors, they will have the option of picking what they want. (I have pictures for examples of what I have in mind) but I trust their opinions on what will look appropriate. One of the pictures even includes a BM in a skirt and blouse. It's only one day, and I can't stomach having them pay (or me paying) for a dress they will only wear once, in a color they hate. This gives them the option of really searching for items they will feel comfrotable in and will wear again.
    !!With all of that said, I will ask them of two things though: They not wear CRAZY high heels because the groomsmen aren't that tall and the ceremony is in grass. I don't want them sinking.
    Also, that they not buy floor length skirts or dresses since it is outside and it is in the summer.

• JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I have seen some I jsut have to find an affordable/similar version or maybe see how much would it cost to have them made. They will all have the same dress in Navy, long. 

other options are:

• @janiv123 i LOVE that last one, the navy with cap sleeves. It's beautiful.

• I am having five girls, two of which are in school, one is a pilot so she gets paid next to nothing. And one is also pregnant. Thank god my MOH doesn't have much going on! Anyway, we bought all our dresses yesterday at the same shop (so much easier!) and I paid for all their dresses. We went with this dress but in dark navy with black lace. I had thought about letting them all pick a short navy dress but we fell in love with this dress, it's so classy but still unique. It looks amazing on all my girls and they all loved it. I can't wait to see how it will look in navy!!
  • I went to the fabric store and found a pattern that met all my requirements for the girls. They are a wide range of body types and the main one was that I wanted them to be comfortable and be able to wear a bra if needed. I picked a simple sundress it will be made in purple. My mom i offered to make them. I will be paying for the fabric.

The pattern for bridesmaids dress
  • Awesome, that's so cool that she's making them for you. I'm having mine made to but from a lady in New Zealand....ahhh!!
  • No matching dresses here! My maid of honor is gorgeously voluptuous, my sister is rail-thin with broad muscular shoulders, and my other bridesmaid is a 6'1" ex-football-playing dude. I dragged MoH and the sister to the mall last week and just found them occasion dresses in the right colors that they're comfortable with and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for. I figure we'll get Chris to wear a coordinating vest and call it good.
  • I went here for my bridesmaids in navy. I let them pick their own style but they all went with this one- makes my life easy! My JB (16) will be picking out of the chiffon collection because the lace I feel is a little too old for her.

If anyone else is thinking J.Crew, if you or anyone in your bridal party (fiance, mom, whoever) opens a J. Crew credit card, the bridal party gets 20% off...and you don't have to book on that card (or a J.Crew card!) I have one already so my mom opened one up...my bridesmaids are paying on their own cards.

• each of my girls are gonna have the same style dress but they will each have a different color
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I gave my maids the color (wisteria from David's Bridal) and asked that they pick short dresses. I like the look of different dresses.
  • I have picked my wedding dresses and they are different for my maid and bridesmaids.

• I want long chiffon strapless in horizon blue for bridesmaids
    • Long chiffon lite blue one shoulder for my maid of honor.

Column Zip-Up One Shoulder Neckline Bridesmaid Dress

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having the girls pick out their dress, i just want them to be short to tea length, flowy fabric such as chiffon. My MOH is wearing lace dress. i did assign them each a color to pick also. one bridesmaid has picked her already. which is this
  • I'm only having one bridesmaid and we went shopping together recently. I gave her pretty much free reign, just said I wanted gray and short (although the wedding is in Phoenix in June..short was a given). Chiffon was a more practical fabric as well so she gravitated towards that. 

She chose the one that kellebelle12 posted above. 
  • LeahB8488LeahB8488 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2015

This is the dress, but it'll be in a sage color.

• My MOH and one of my bridesmaids are wearing floor length dark purple Vera Wang dresses. I'm still on the hunt for two more bridesmaids dresses. Also floor length, but in a lighter purple, like wisteria.
  • Donna Morgan has a great selection with various styles as well. I'm doing mine in the 'beach glass' color.
  • I had all my bridesmaid get the same dress from David's Bridal in Pool blue. I'm letting them pick their own shoes out; only requirement is that it has to be some sort of silver sandal with a heel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having my girls in short dresses because a.) they're a little more affordable usually, and most of my girls are on a budget and b.) I'm having an entire outdoor wedding/reception, so its going to be hotter than colder. short will make for happier bridesmaids lol :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have 5 bridesmaids, all different body types. Decided that it was best to go with short dresses because we're at an outdoor venue and it might be hot. Went to the bridal salon with 2 of them to pick 5 different styles from 1 designer. Everyone will have a figure flattering dress.

The groomsmen are all wearing matching suits with different bow ties. No matchy matchy wedding party for us! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards