Wedding Reception Forum

The Shoe Game

Has anyone played the shoe game or they are planning to? I am considering doing it and just wanted to see how you think your guests liked it and where you fit it into the reception? 

Re: The Shoe Game

• Has anyone played the shoe game or they are planning to? I am considering doing it and just wanted to see how you think your guests liked it and where you fit it into the reception? 

No.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I've never seen this actually done at a wedding, but I think it's a cute idea IF AND ONLY IF there is time for it, and it's kept to a reasonable length. Like, if there's a lull somewhere in your timeline (say, while the band is setting up or something like that), it could be fun. But if you do it, I'd keep it really short -- say, maybe like 10 questions. More than that and I think people will start to get bored. 
  • Just say no.

If you feel the need to make you guests sit through a game, do it at your shower. And keep it really really short.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Please don't make your guests sit through this.  It is not fun or cute or hilarious or any of the other things you may be thinking it will be for your guests.  

• I wouldn't. Guests don't like being treated like captive audiences, and for something like this that has the potential to turn into a roast, it can make everyone feel uncomfortable.

If you're concerned about entertaining your guests, they'll prefer to be able to eat, drink, dance, and converse with minimum interruption.
  • peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I went to a wedding once where the shoe game was played. It went on for wayyy too long (like, 30-40 minutes maybe?) and the only people who thought it was hilarious were the B&G. 

ETA: I was also super annoyed because they were on the dance floor playing this and blocking the way to the bar, so I was just sitting there, drinkless and bored. Don't do this to your guests.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have no idea what this is, but it sounds like a bad idea.

@ashley8918 - it is a silly (aka dumb) game where questions like "who is hotter?", "who is the better driver?", "who said i love you first?" etc are asked and then each person has a shoe that represents themselves and their SO.  You answer the question by raising the shoe that corresponds with the person that represents the answer.  It is then supposed to end up with laughter to see who answers with which shoe (the two people sit back to back so they can't see the other persons answer).

@ashley8918 - it is a silly (aka dumb) game where questions like "who is hotter?", "who is the better driver?", "who said i love you first?" etc are asked and then each person has a shoe that represents themselves and their SO.  You answer the question by raising the shoe that corresponds with the person that represents the answer.  It is then supposed to end up with laughter to see who answers with which shoe (the two people sit back to back so they can't see the other persons answer).
    This sounds like a party you'd play at a jr high party, right before spin the bottle.
    Yeah, no fucking thank you.
  • I could see it at a shower, but this kind of game is not really suited for a wedding reception. It's boring and uncomfortable for guests, and ruins the party momentum. 

Your time is better spent enjoying the party or socializing with the guests. 
  • KatieEmilyCKatieEmilyC member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I saw it at a friend's wedding and I knew the two of them pretty well so I enjoyed it and it was about 5 minutes(if that) long. 
    But from seeing so many no's and strong opinions I would imagine our guests wouldn't like it. 

Thanks for the thoughts everybody! :)
  • That seems like something for a shower.

And who's the poor schlub that has to take off a shoe?? 
  • banana468 said:

That seems like something for a shower.

The bride and groom have to take off both their shoes and they trade one shoe so they have one of each.

I met with a potential DJ who thought this was a GREAT idea and pitched it in our meeting except his idea involved getting stuffed animals for us to use instead of shoes. ...No thanks

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I saw this at a co-ed shower and it was pretty cute, but I would not think this was cute at all for a wedding reception. Just say no.
    *********************************************************************************

• banana468 said:

It's wonderful to see both your babies, banana!  What a gift!
  • banana468 said:

The bride and groom have to take off both their shoes and they trade one shoe so they have one of each.

I met with a potential DJ who thought this was a GREAT idea and pitched it in our meeting except his idea involved getting stuffed animals for us to use instead of shoes. ...No thanks
    That is amazing in the most terrible way. 
  • I don't think I'd mind this at an engagement party, especially if they keep it to five minutes or so, but definitely not at a wedding. It really ruins the flow of the reception.
  • No.  Just no.
  • Thank you all for your responses, but I have already decided not to do it at this point and have heard a pretty unanimous no from other users. Also, no need to be rude about an idea I had and was hoping to include in my wedding. 

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

Thank you all for your responses, but I have already decided not to do it at this point and have heard a pretty unanimous no from other users. Also, no need to be rude about an idea I had and was hoping to include in my wedding. 

Who was rude?????
  • Various people saying no just no, or no fucking way, or telling me what a terrible idea this is, when I simply asked if anyone had done this and when they fit it into their reception. This was something I had hoped to do so I wanted to hear from people with experience using this game at their wedding.
    I get that it's the internet and people can share what they wish, it was just a little uncalled for.
  • I think this is fine for a couples shower, but probably not the best idea for a wedding reception.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Various people saying no just no, or no fucking way, or telling me what a terrible idea this is, when I simply asked if anyone had done this and when they fit it into their reception. This was something I had hoped to do so I wanted to hear from people with experience using this game at their wedding.
    I get that it's the internet and people can share what they wish, it was just a little uncalled for.

If you notice, no responding poster had the game at their wedding.  A few posters witnessed it at someone else's wedding and remarked at how it was not received favorably.  If no responding poster has actually played the game at their wedding, that should be an indication that it is neither appropriate or a good idea.

When everyone is telling you something is a bad idea, that's probably a clue that it's a bad idea.

If someone said, "I want to jump off a cliff; who has done this and how did you go about it?" they would not have any business getting upset and saying, "You're so rude, why won't you just tell me how to do this instead of saying don't???"
  • Dreamergirl8812 I am.... I just said it was uncalled for. 
    Dreamergirl8812 your second post: No the gender doesn't matter, but my friends of either gender would also not tell me my idea is fucking stupid when I ask for advice. I guess I'm just lucky. This was my first question here, lesson learned. Ask my friends instead. 
    Aartbyallie: You're definitely right, nobody had done it. 
    So A nobody needed to respond and B I had already politely said I decided not to do it  and thanked people for their input. People felt the need to continue to tell me what a bad idea it was. I get it, I'm not doing it. 

All of this said, this is not a giant deal. Just keep in mind people come here for advice, not to have people destroy something they thought would be fun. I mean, getting married is an exciting time, be kind. 

I'm out, and I'll be more careful what I ask you ladies. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards