Plus-Sized

SOS my strapless dress problem!!!!

edited March 2015 in Plus-Sized
I appoligize before hand for my TMI but I wouldn't of shared if I wasn't completely panicking..I bought my dream dress and of coarse the perfect wedding gown has an issue! I have a strapless dress and when I put it on this happens to the top. It completely looks like my chest is on the wrong body! I'm wearing under garments but I don't know if its supposed to look like this due to me being over weight and C busted? Someone HELP ME before I throw my dress out!

Re: SOS my strapless dress problem!!!!

• I appoligize before hand for my TMI but I wouldn't of shared if I wasn't completely panicking..I bought my dream dress and of coarse the perfect wedding gown has an issue! I have a strapless dress and when I put it on this happens to the top. It completely looks like my chest is on the wrong body! I'm wearing under garments but I don't know if its supposed to look like this due to me being over weight and C busted? Someone HELP ME before I throw my dress out!

How did it fit in the store? I would be getting myself to an amazing seamstress. Stat.

• Go to a seamstress and see what can be done!!  It looks like the top of the dress is too tight and that there's not enough fabric.

How does the back fasten - is it zip or corset?  If it's corset, perhaps they don't have it tied properly??

Anniversary
  • I'm a little confused.  Is the photo of your dress, or the undergarment?   I'm going to assume it's the actual dress for this response. To me, it looks like the dress is not pulled up high enough on your bust. It needs to come up about an inch or so higher. And you might need a better bra with some more support/boning.  

Also, If your breasts aren't "perky" a pushup bra will help.  I got a longline bra, and actually added padded cups to the bottom of the bra cups, to give me some lift.  I also actually had the seamstress put snaps on the exterior of my longline bra at the center of my bra, and at the corners and on the inside of the dress, so the dress basically snapped to my bra. That helped prevent slippage and also prevented the dreaded uniboob.  

• PS -  I actually have a photo of the inside of my dress where I had the seamstress sew the snaps in.   Hopefully, this will help explain what the heck I'm talking about.  
  • Your dress is too tight, it should sit up higher. It looks like your dress is falling down.
  • Okey everyone my fitting is coming up in June but this s a picture of the top portion of my bra for my dress. I'm going to do a little shopping and see if I can fix this problem with a larger bra.. (CROSS YOUR FINGERS)
  • Okey everyone my fitting is coming up in June but this s a picture of the top portion of my bra for my dress. I'm going to do a little shopping and see if I can fix this problem with a larger bra.. (CROSS YOUR FINGERS)

Honestly, I'd have your first fitting a little earlier since you are having issues. It's better to know now if you have the wrong size dress than when there is little time to deal with it.   They don't have to start alterations now, but you are better off at least having a fitting now to see if there are major issues.  But, if that top photo is of your bra, you are definately wearing the wrong cup size for your bra.
  • Call me crazy but--did you try your dress on bra-less? I ended up with a strapless dress and when I tried on my dress with a bra, it was a boobalicious horror show. Like, I never would have been able to eat around them (I'm a HH, so...yeah). Trying the dress on without a bra was like putting on a different dress. It fit so much better and looked waaaaaay better and actually more modest, for lack of a better word. If your dress has a corseted back, going braless shouldn't be an issue and should clear up any boob revolt your bra was causing!
  • Call me crazy but--did you try your dress on bra-less? I ended up with a strapless dress and when I tried on my dress with a bra, it was a boobalicious horror show. Like, I never would have been able to eat around them (I'm a HH, so...yeah). Trying the dress on without a bra was like putting on a different dress. It fit so much better and looked waaaaaay better and actually more modest, for lack of a better word. If your dress has a corseted back, going braless shouldn't be an issue and should clear up any boob revolt your bra was causing!

I totally agree with ChristineMireille, sometimes.  I am an H also, but my boobs aren't nearly as perky as they once were.  When I went braless, even with a corset, my boobs looked like they were trying to creep their way to my belly.   I had to have the bra to give me that "lift", or they looked like jiggle balls resting on top of my belly.  The longline bra gave me the lift and separate I needed.  So, it really just depends on how you are shaped, and what dress you buy (and a good seamstress!)
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

Call me crazy but--did you try your dress on bra-less? I ended up with a strapless dress and when I tried on my dress with a bra, it was a boobalicious horror show. Like, I never would have been able to eat around them (I'm a HH, so...yeah). Trying the dress on without a bra was like putting on a different dress. It fit so much better and looked waaaaaay better and actually more modest, for lack of a better word. If your dress has a corseted back, going braless shouldn't be an issue and should clear up any boob revolt your bra was causing!

Agree.  I was planning on wearing a strapless bra, but when I tried it on with the dress, it looked awful.  I took it off and wow, what a difference.  Seamstress just sewed cups in.  Just an option to consider to see if it works for you.

No matter what you decide, agree with queerfemme, get yourself to the fitting now.  At least you'll have time to figure it out and fix it.  Peace of mind is priceless.
  • JoanE2012 said:

Call me crazy but--did you try your dress on bra-less? I ended up with a strapless dress and when I tried on my dress with a bra, it was a boobalicious horror show. Like, I never would have been able to eat around them (I'm a HH, so...yeah). Trying the dress on without a bra was like putting on a different dress. It fit so much better and looked waaaaaay better and actually more modest, for lack of a better word. If your dress has a corseted back, going braless shouldn't be an issue and should clear up any boob revolt your bra was causing!

Agree.  I was planning on wearing a strapless bra, but when I tried it on with the dress, it looked awful.  I took it off and wow, what a difference.  Seamstress just sewed cups in.  Just an option to consider to see if it works for you.

No matter what you decide, agree with queerfemme, get yourself to the fitting now.  At least you'll have time to figure it out and fix it.  Peace of mind is priceless.
    JoanE2012 said:

I really was hoping to have cups sewn in, but three seamstresses I called only had cups up to a cup size D.  Being an H, that was comical we they tried it. It looked like a boob helmet.  
  • My seamstress basically said cups were going to give me more 'bulk' which is what I was trying to avoid.  I was able to purchase a strapless minimizer bra.  The bra I got goes up to a 'DD' on most sizes and can be found >>HERE<<

Anniversary
  • Maybe a different bra would help, one with more structure and support (such as boning at the sides and side support material) to help your breasts from going east and west.  Also you might want to try Bratabase as the people there are great help: http://www.bratabase.com/troubleshoot/

I really was hoping to have cups sewn in, but three seamstresses I called only had cups up to a cup size D.  Being an H, that was comical we they tried it. It looked like a boob helmet.  

hahaha, yeah, not everything works for everyone.  Thank goodness for early fittings!
  • when my dress came in i went out and bought a very expensive lace long line bra well the bra cups were to big and the sales lady told me she could sew in cups for me to make it fit better. i go to try on the dress for fit and the bra is popping out of the top of my gown. went back and returned the bra and got  a regular strapless with clear straps, went to my first fitting and the bra does not work its not holding me in like it should and making the dress fall funny at the bust on me. second fitting i come back with a regular wire free bra and that don't work because the clear straps are showing through the lace.  so we go with cups sewn in

my issue is i am large on the bottom and small on the top  b/c cup so none of the bras would work 
  • when my dress came in i went out and bought a very expensive lace long line bra well the bra cups were to big and the sales lady told me she could sew in cups for me to make it fit better. i go to try on the dress for fit and the bra is popping out of the top of my gown. went back and returned the bra and got  a regular strapless with clear straps, went to my first fitting and the bra does not work its not holding me in like it should and making the dress fall funny at the bust on me. second fitting i come back with a regular wire free bra and that don't work because the clear straps are showing through the lace.  so we go with cups sewn in

my issue is i am large on the bottom and small on the top  b/c cup so none of the bras would work 
    You need to go somewhere that offers professional bra fitting. Nordstrom is usually good for this, or find a specialty bra shop in your area that carries a full range of sizes and trains their employees on how to properly fit customers. Then try on your bra before you buy it; do not rely on size tags, just make sure the bra you are buying fits like the bra person tells you it should fit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

You need to go somewhere that offers professional bra fitting. Nordstrom is usually good for this, or find a specialty bra shop in your area that carries a full range of sizes and trains their employees on how to properly fit customers. Then try on your bra before you buy it; do not rely on size tags, just make sure the bra you are buying fits like the bra person tells you it should fit.
    SO much this!!!!  My long-line bra size doesn't even remotely correspond with my regular bra size! 
  • @Knottie46982247 - I know it's been awhile since you've posted, so I'm not sure if you come around on here anymore.  I was just wondering if you got this all sorted out?

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards