Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food tasting

When did you do your food tasting for your reception?

Re: Food tasting

• We didn't do one. I wasn't worried about it because of the reputation of the food from that venue was amazing.
  • We're doing it a little less than a month before we have to finalize and order our invitations. Our guests need to choose their food, so we needed to pick a menu prior to printing the RSVP cards.
  • We did ours about 8 months in advance, but that was because of our own personal timing (we needed to travel to the venue location, so we had to work around our work schedules).
  • We did ours about 8 months in advance, but only because the times they offered were during the business day and so I had to get it knocked out in summer due to being a teacher and not wanting to take off work for that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't do one.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I think about 6 months prior, which is when my venue recommended I set it up for. 
  • We did 10 months prior. That was only because we were OOT and that was the only time we would be in that town before the wedding.

DH is a chef and normally does them 2-4 months. Sometimes up to 6. Rarely before that.  He uses seasonal ingredients and hates to try and do tastings for a Sept wedding in January.  

It really varies on your vendor and/or caterer.  I know some places have big group tasting 1-2 times a year.  Others don't have one.  Still others have them upon request.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you're doing a plated meal where your guests select their entree ahead of time on the RSVP card, you just need to make sure you schedule your tasting before you order your invitations. That way, you know which entree selections you're going to offer. Otherwise, you can just do it whenever you and your FI find a good time that fits with the venue's schedule.  
    --

• Our wedding is on April 25th, 2015, and we had our tasting on Veterans Day '14. We weren't overly concerned about the catering company as they have 2 wedding venues, as well as several restaurants however, you can't pass up free food when their restaurants are on the higher ended price and I had never been to one of their restaurants but FI has.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • About 15 months prior. We had to choose from 4 approved caterers by our venue and I wasn't going to sign a contract for the venue until I knew we liked one of the approved providers.
  • Our venue uses its own caterer and does group tastings for all of the wedding couples quarterly, so about 3-4 months prior. This is because their menu changes seasonally.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Our venue has a monthly group tasting. They recommend attending the one that's 6 months out, but we're out of town that day, so we're doing 5 months out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• When did you do your food tasting for your reception?
    Our wedding is in October and the venue has our tasting scheduled for February 24th. They set it all up and just told us when to come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our wedding is in September and I was told by our catering manager  that if we scheduled it for June or July, that would be fine. 
  • April for our June wedding. Like others, they only offer it once per month. Our "scheduled" time was in March, but I'll be out of town (for my shower, yay!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards