Wedding Reception Forum

Timeline help

I started working on my timeline with my photographer today, let me know what you think! We're skipping all special dances other than the first dance and if I'm lucky we'll skip the bouquet and garter toss (fi really wants them though). Cocktail hour could also be shortened if needed as we're doing photos before the ceremony.

4:00 ceremony
4:30 cocktail hour starts
5:30 enterance/reception starts
5:45 dinner
7:00 first dance
7:15 dance floor opens, caricature artist
7:45 cake cutting
8:15 bouquet and garter toss
8:30 sunset photos
9:15 photographer leaves
10:00 exit and clean up starts

Re: Timeline help

• Are the sunset photos going to be right outside the venue? 

I don't like when the couple leaves the reception to take photos, but if you're going to be standing right outside (like on the deck or next to the beach), then it's not such a big deal. 

Just be sure to take only 10 minutes or so if you're doing that.

• I am not a big fan of splitting up the spotlight stuff (tosses, cake cutting, dances).  Doing so starts and stops the party and requires your guests to stop what they are doing (dancing, mingling with their friends, having a good time) to focus their attention on something that is just really not all that interesting.  Don't stop and start the party like this.  Get all your spotlight stuff done at one time or get your first dance over with right after you are introduced then cut the cake and do the tosses right after dinner.  That way all that stuff is done and the party can proceed without interruption.

• I am not a big fan of splitting up the spotlight stuff (tosses, cake cutting, dances).  Doing so starts and stops the party and requires your guests to stop what they are doing (dancing, mingling with their friends, having a good time) to focus their attention on something that is just really not all that interesting.  Don't stop and start the party like this.  Get all your spotlight stuff done at one time or get your first dance over with right after you are introduced then cut the cake and do the tosses right after dinner.  That way all that stuff is done and the party can proceed without interruption.

This.

The weddings I have been to in the past 5 years that flowed the best had the cake cutting right after the B&G entered the reception, then the spotlight dances right after dinner while the cake was being served as dessert.  after that, the dance floor opened and we partied non stop for 2-3 hours.

I'd move the caricature artist to cocktail hour.

I also encourage you to skip the tosses, especially if you have very few single guests.  Most people on the boards find the garter retrieval to be largely awkward, uncomfortable, and inappropriate to watch, so chances are many of your guests silently feel the same way.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I agree about not breaking up the party to do the spotlight moments. Why not cut the cake while guests are finishing up dinner, or while they're being served?

With the tosses, if you have them, I would do them as soon as you open the dance floor or at the very end of the night.

On the sunset photos, are you leaving to go take more photos? That seems odd to me.

• I agree about not breaking up the party to do the spotlight moments. Why not cut the cake while guests are finishing up dinner, or while they're being served?

With the tosses, if you have them, I would do them as soon as you open the dance floor or at the very end of the night.

On the sunset photos, are you leaving to go take more photos? That seems odd to me.

Or cut it right off the bat.  This allows time for it to be plated so that it can be served immediately following dinner. . . and that's an ideal time to do spotlight dances, while your guests are having dinner.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I probably should have removed sunset photos from the timeline since I took off all the other photography stuff... Photos will be quick and just outside the venue.

What if we did cake (cut and served) right after dinner and then moved straight into the first dance while people eat? The tosses could be after that or at the end of the evening, if we choose to do them.

We'll only be doing tosses if the amount of single people support it, and the garter will already be on a football or something, so no awkward garter retrieval :)

Our group isn't big on dancing, hence the caricature artist for alternative entertainment.
  • It is fine if you want to do all the spotlight stuff after dinner.  And even though your crowd isn't that into dancing, I still wouldn't split the stuff up.  Just get it all done and over with and then your guests are free to enjoy the evening however they want without being interrupted.

• I probably should have removed sunset photos from the timeline since I took off all the other photography stuff... Photos will be quick and just outside the venue.

What if we did cake (cut and served) right after dinner and then moved straight into the first dance while people eat? The tosses could be after that or at the end of the evening, if we choose to do them.

We'll only be doing tosses if the amount of single people support it, and the garter will already be on a football or something, so no awkward garter retrieval :)

Our group isn't big on dancing, hence the caricature artist for alternative entertainment.

That's fine, but it's going to take time for your venue to cut, plate, and serve the cake. So your guests likely won't Be Eating While you're Doing Spotlight dances. That's why I'd do the cake cutting before dinner, so that your guests can actually be eating dessert while you dance.

• Our plan is to cut a small cake and serve sheet cake (same cake just less elaborate decoration) that will be cut earlier so it'll be ready to go.
  • I think if you move the cake cutting up to right before the first dance after dinner (with the plan you have to cut a small cake, and have an equal-quality sheet cake already cut and ready to serve), and move the tosses to the end of the night (or better yet don't do them), you have a great timeline. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards