Ohio-Columbus
Options

Wedding guest list

My FI and I are both a older couple getting married. Our venue only holds 150 people. We are mainly inviting close family and friends.  Some of the people that are on our list have children. We are having some children at our wedding, but not a lot basically just our nieces and nephews and a couple friends who have kids but live out of state. We are trying to figure out a way to be nice without putting adult only on the rsvp and not hurting anyone's feelings. Does anyone have any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding guest list

• Options
    From Emily Post:

"It is inappropriate to write “No Children” on the invitations. Instead, communicate your wishes by writing only the parents’ names on the inner and outer envelopes—and through word of mouth."

I'm also having a no children wedding, and have been telling as many people as possible. I've also included it on the wedding website.

Emily Post has a good response in case anyone gives you pressure about bringing kids: "I’m sorry, Stan, but we have very limited seating at the reception and we just can’t accommodate any additional guests.”

Good luck! Children at weddings are the worsssst.
  • Options
    Do not put "adults only" or "no children" on your invites, STDs or websites. It is rude to point out who is not invited. It will hurt peoples feelings more than you allowing some kids to come and not others. If you stick to circles this is best way to avoid hurting feeling. i.e. invite all the nieces and nephews, don't pick and choose some. 

What you can do it address the invitations correctly. 
    Address the invite only to the people invited. Inner envelopes help too.
    Outer: Mr. & Mrs. John Doe
    Inner: John & Jane

I've also seen folks put on the reply card:
    __ of _2_ Accept
    __ of _2_ Decline
    Or something like that with the number of people invited already filled in.

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

@photokitty I agree with the not putting no kids invited. I wasn't going to do that. I told my FH my thought of putting the number of guest invited. He thought that was a good idea. I want to be the one to write the number in, so people know how many people are invited. It just worries me that if we put mr and mrs on the envelopes that they will still try and put others on the rsvp. I just wanted some opinions of what people thought.

thanks for your help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It they add uninvited guests you are well within etiquette to call them up and apologize for the misunderstanding but that the invite was only for Mr & Mrs Smith, and the invitation is not transferable if one of them can't come. Good luck, I hope all your guests are polite and you don't have to make any calls after the fact :D
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I know for our wedding, while we aren't in any way saying "no kids" we are putting out the word that if people want to have a night without kids and need help finding babysitters that will come to teh hotel that we have compiled a list of possibilities for them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards