Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Good Questions for DJ Meetings

Hi all.  I am starting to interview DJ's next week (by phone since I am planning a CT wedding from Boston).  Does anyone have any great questions to ask to ensure I am getting someone that's a perfect fit?  Is there something you wish you asked your DJ before making the final decision?  Since it will be very tough to meet in person I want to make sure I get the most out of our phone call.  Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Good Questions for DJ Meetings

• Do you take requests?
    • Are you the MC or do we have to pay for a separate MC?
    • Will you adhere to a 'do not play' list?
    • Will you play the clean versions of songs? (if you'll have children there & that's something that matters to you)
    • How many hours of DJ services are included in your package? 
    • What is your style of DJing? What genre do you like best?
    • Are you very vocal on the microphone, or do you let the party unfold naturally? (some people might want a DJ that is on the mic a lot encouraging people to get on the dance floor, while personally I wanted a guy that didn't try to have all the attention on him)
    • What type of equipment do you use? 
    • How long have you been a DJ? How many weddings have you done?
    --

• very helpful.  thank you both
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    • Do you have a wireless mic? This will be helpful if you are doing any toasts
    • Is all your music on your computer & what is your back up if your computer crashes during the reception?
    • Will you do introductions and announce other events as they happen like the cake cutting, special dances, etc?
    • Do you have any references (check online too through google for those)
    • What is your cost if the reception runs longer then originally planned
    • Dinner, will you be eating while there or prior to coming?
    • How do you handle requests from guests for songs that we don't want played
  • Great tips! I'm about to meet up with DJ prospects myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would also ask if they have any resources/lists of popular songs for different parts of the wedding. We went with a DJ that had a passworded website for clients, that had a bunch of song suggestions for the processional, recessional, cake cutting, first dance, etc. It made us feel a lot less overwhelmed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards