Chit Chat
Options

Heels or Flats for an Interview?

AprilH81AprilH81 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited March 2015 in Chit Chat
I have a big interview next week and I'm debating heels versus flats.  I can wear heels and I have a few pairs that would be appropriate, but I am MUCH, MUCH more confident and comfortable wearing flats.  Am I over thinking this? 

I will be wearing a pants suit for the interview, I'm not comfortable in a skirt during interviews.  I get too distracted by making sure I sit properly and my skirt doesn't ride up too high.
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Heels or Flats for an Interview?

• Options
    I think heels with a pants suit look better than flats. With that being said, a nice pair of flats will look great. You should wear what you feel most confident in!

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    edited March 2015
    AprilH81 said:

I have a big interview next week and I'm debating heels versus flats.  I can wear heels and I have a few pairs that would be appropriate, but I am MUCH, MUCH more confident and comfortable wearing flats.  Am I over thinking this? 

I will be wearing a pants suit for the interview, I'm not comfortable in a skirt during interviews.  I get too distracted by making sure I sit properly and my skirt doesn't ride up too high.
    Yes, you are overthinking. But wear the flats if that'll make you confident. If you're confident, you'll sell better to the prospective employer :) Good luck!

ETA: With a pant suit, I would make sure, if you go with the flats, that your pants don't pool at your feet. Looks sloppy to me.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

I think heels with a pants suit look better than flats. With that being said, a nice pair of flats will look great. You should wear what you feel most confident in!

This. If you didn't care either way, I'd say heels. But your confidence and attitude will say much more about you than your clothes (as long as your outfit is professional and appropriate). 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Go with the flats if you feel more confident and comfortable. 

I only wear heels because that's when I feel more confident and pulled together. 
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:

The bolded answered your question for you. Wear flats. 
  • Options

Yes, you are overthinking. But wear the flats if that'll make you confident. If you're confident, you'll sell better to the prospective employer :) Good luck!

ETA: With a pant suit, I would make sure, if you go with the flats, that your pants don't pool at your feet. Looks sloppy to me.

This.  Especially the bolded.

• Options

Exactly. If you feel more confident in flats, go for it. Just make sure your pants are hemmed to the right length. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I think it depends on the type of job interview. Generally heels seem more professional and dressed up, but at my interview I secretly found out the dress code and I'm not even allowed to wear heels at work because I might need to run.

So I work flats to the interview along with pants, and showed that I'm practical. And I got the job! Probably not based on my outfit but on my skills.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I personally always prefer heels in a professional setting. However, if you feel more comfortable and confident in flats, then I'd go for that. I think in an interview setting especially it's best to go with anything that increases confidence!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Another tip I have is to see what the other people wear. If it's a bunch of older ladies, wear something a little more modest and traditional. If it's a bunch of young/trendy women, wear something more fun but still professional. Make it look like you'll fit right in!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Make sure which ever you choose, they aren't scuffed up or dirty. I notice that before flats or heels.

Good luck!! :smiley:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Even with heels my pants will need to be hemmed.  I'm short.  lol  I also need to buy a new suit, I haven't needed to wear a suit for 2 years and my old ones don't fit anymore.
  • Options
    I say a nice 2" pump

Anniversary
  • Options
    i would personally wear flats. i wore kitten heels regretted that but still got the job because the gm liked i would be a notary.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

Agree that heels would look better with a pants suit, but wear whatever you feel most confident and comfortable in! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have wedges? I find that they are good alternative to heels for people who aren't comfortable in heels (like me). 

I think flats are ok for an interview though as long as your pants are dragging like mikenberger said. You want to be confident and being comfortable is a huge part of that. I'm always way stressed that I'm going to fall in heels. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think you should wear cowboy boots with a formal cocktail dress.

Only if the office is rustic chic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd do these:
    Or these:
    Or these:

Very professional. All of them. Yes the last ones are made of duct tape. Shows inginutity. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I'd do these:

Or these:
    Or these:

Very professional. All of them. Yes the last ones are made of duct tape. Shows inginutity. 
    I like the ones with the stars.  It will show the hiring manager what a super star I am!
  • Options
    Whatever makes you more confident. If wearing flats will let you more easily focus on good answers, then wear flats. Good luck!!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I think you should wear cowboy boots with a formal cocktail dress.

Only if the office is rustic chic.
    Rustic chic is always appropriate.

Seriously, I have never given any type of thought to the shoes my interview candidates wear. If something stuck out like high top sneakers with a skirt suit, or they're walking like a newborn giraffe, I'd probably notice. But black flats vs black pumps? Zero fucks given. 

You're way over-thinking this. You know how to dress yourself. Do your shoes fit? Can you walk like a grown-up human in them? Do they go with the length and formality of your outfit? Are your undergarments under your clothes? Are you clothes facing in the proper direction? You're good.

The bolded is the most important. 

• Options
    I think it kind of depends on the type of job. I am usually applying for a job where we dress pretty casually and I move around a lot, like healthcare. So my go-to outfit was slacks with a nice sweater or blouse and some ballet flats. 

I've only worn heels when applying for a host position, where I felt being fashionable and attractive were big selling points. 

I have worn cowboy boots- to a dairy interview. I wore clean khakis, a black knit polo, and clean black boots.  A pantsuit and heels would definitely be weird in that situation, but I still wanted to look like I put some effort and thought in. 

I think in your case, if you are uncomfortable in heels then definitely don't wear them. 
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    edited March 2015
    Okay so I went on an internet search for stripper shoes and LOOK AT WHAT THE FUCK I JUST FOUND

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Okay so I went on an internet search for stripper shoes and LOOK AT WHAT THE FUCK I JUST FOUND

i'm afraid to click that on my work computer.

• Options
    You should wait until you get home.

Trust me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

I truly love that there's a website called discountstripper.com.

I went to a job interview today wearing flats. Went just fine. As long as you look polished, heel height shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    As long as your shoes don't detract from your outfit, or distract the interviewer/s, I don't think it matters whether they're heels or flats. It's much more important to be comfortable and thus able to interview with confidence than it is to wear "the right shoes".

I'll be holding thumbs for you, no matter what footwear you go with!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    Heels. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards