Wedding Invitations & Paper

RSVP Dilemma

Little conflicted on what to do here --

My fiance and I are having a destination wedding, already sent STDs, so we are planning on sending the invitations out 3 months before the wedding, with an RSVP date by July 1 (already printed so can't change that).

We are planning on purchasing a house this month, but won't be in until June. Our lease at our rental ends July 1. My concern is that some people won't be timely with their RSVPs and some might arrive after we've moved to the new house. But I don't want to wait to start assembling/addressing the invitations until we've closed on the house.

Help?

Re: RSVP Dilemma

• Little conflicted on what to do here --

My fiance and I are having a destination wedding, already sent STDs, so we are planning on sending the invitations out 3 months before the wedding, with an RSVP date by July 1 (already printed so can't change that).

We are planning on purchasing a house this month, but won't be in until June. Our lease at our rental ends July 1. My concern is that some people won't be timely with their RSVPs and some might arrive after we've moved to the new house. But I don't want to wait to start assembling/addressing the invitations until we've closed on the house.

Help?

You can forward your mail from the USPS pretty easily. Click here it may take a little time to get the mail forwarded, but you could always contact those people via phone or email as well.

• Have them sent to your parents?

Mine are going to my parents, although it's because they are "hosting". It's less than ideal because they are in Ohio, I'm in AZ, wedding is in AZ so my mom will have to relay all the info to me, but I guess that's what is proper.
  • cgss11 said:

Have them sent to your parents?

Mine are going to my parents, although it's because they are "hosting". It's less than ideal because they are in Ohio, I'm in AZ, wedding is in AZ so my mom will have to relay all the info to me, but I guess that's what is proper.

The bolded.  That is what H and I did because we were kind of in the same situation.  We didn't want to lose any RSVPs between the moves.

Oh and you really shouldn't be sending your invites out any later then 2 months before your wedding date.

• Get a temporary PO Box.  Send it to one of your parents or other family/friends who are close by

USPS does forward mail also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would either have them sent to your parents' house or forward your mail. 

You should probably get your mail forwarded anyway - it's just a standard thing to do when you  move.
    *********************************************************************************

• You do need to have your mail forwarded, but I can say from my own experience that it can sometimes add as much as a week to mail delivery. If your RSVP is the appropriate 2-3 weeks ahead of the wedding, that could cause problems.

I would either use a parent's address or get a temporary box. You can get a PO box for cheap, or you can use UPS Store or Mailboxes etc if you'd rather have a street address. (This would also give you a place to have registry gifts securely delivered despite the move.)  
  • Little conflicted on what to do here --

Help?

If you already sent STDates, you don't need to send early invitations too.  Send invites 6-8 weeks before your wedding with an RSVP date a week before your numbers are due to your caterer (so you have a week to contact the forgetfuls).  Have your RSVPs sent to a neutral location that won't change in the middle of RSVP time.  I just recently moved, and while most of my mail was properly forwarded, there were a few articles of mail that were obviously sitting in my old mailbox for a month before being forwarded.  Don't do that to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards