Honeymoon Discussions

September Beach Honeymoon

Hey y'all!

My FH and I are trying to figure out where to go on a honeymoon. We want somewhere with a beach where we can relax that isn't too far away. We originally were thinking Hawaii but only have 6 day, so it seems a waste to spend all that time flying and only be there 6 days. It is hurricane season in the Caribbean so not sure if that is advisable. Any suggestions?

Re: September Beach Honeymoon

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    Where do you live?  How far do you want to travel?  And most importantly, what is your budget?

There is no need to rule out the Caribbean.....that's what trip insurance is for.
  • If you want to stay in the States, you could do the Outer Banks. September is the best time to go. Not crowded and still warm.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I've been to the Outer Banks in September twice.  Once the first week and once the second week.  After Labor Day it's not as packed and it's a great time to be there.  Things are MUCH cheaper.  

I also wouldn't rule out the Caribbean.  We did a southern Caribbean cruise (Puerto Rico, Saint Marten, Antigua, St. Kitts, Barbados and St. Lucia) for our honeymoon in October and it was fantastic weather with no hurricanes in sight.  It is hurricane season so you can get amazing deals because of people who aren't willing to travel during that time.  Buy travel insurance and you have nothing to worry about.
  • If you want to stay in the States, you could do the Outer Banks. September is the best time to go. Not crowded and still warm.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. You could rent a cute little beach cottage. We did that a few summers ago and it was awesome. 
  • Where are you flying out of? Have you considered Aruba? It's south of the hurricane belt and about four hours by plane if you're on the East coast. There are some nice beaches there. Good snorkeling. Driving across the island is a fun daytime activity if you want a break from the beach. Adjacent to Aruba are two other options: Bonaire and Curacao but I can't give firsthand comments on those as I haven't visited them.
    Michael - The Honeymoon Guy  http://thehoneymoonguy.com
    Guiding you to a champagne honeymoon on a beer budget!

• csocso member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    We would be flying out of Dallas. Aruba i think is too far, it appears it would be at least 13 hours of travel time. We we also think of maybe Cabo but then someone told me the cartel has invaded the resorts. So, ya that might not be the best. 

I never thought of the Outer Banks. That is a great idea! Is there much to do there besides the beach?

So flying out of Dallas, we preferably not want to travel over 8 hours, and we would prefer to stay under 5k for the honeymoon.
  • cso said:

We would be flying out of Dallas. Aruba i think is too far, it appears it would be at least 13 hours of travel time. We we also think of maybe Cabo but then someone told me the cartel has invaded the resorts. So, ya that might not be the best. 

I never thought of the Outer Banks. That is a great idea! Is there much to do there besides the beach?

So flying out of Dallas, we preferably not want to travel over 8 hours, and we would prefer to stay under 5k for the honeymoon.

The bolded is absolutely, completely FALSE.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Cabo is also in the hurricane zone in September, so purchase trip insurance.

Aruba is a longer flight from DFW because it requires a layover. It's not actually 13 hours flying time. The good news is that DFW is a major hub and there are direct flights to places in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii.

• Jells2dot0  about the cartels in Cabo being false. My FIL lives there. Cabo is beautiful and safe. They had a pretty serious hurricane this past year, and a lot of the resorts were damaged. If Cabo interests you, do some research into particular hotels to check the current status.

I would also suggest Playa del Carmen. American flies direct to Cancun (about an hour from Playa) from DFW. Playa is also beautiful and safe with lots of cute restaurants, shops, etc.

• I was in Cabo in January and pretty sure there were no cartels that had invaded anywhere!  They had a big hurricane last September but for those of us who had never been there we couldn't really point to too much damage.  We saw some hotels being worked on on the outside and more construction going on than normal, which were signs of the hurricane damage but it wasn't like the place was a wreck or anything.  I honestly thought it would be worse. I personally wasn't a fan of Cabo although I think if we'd stayed in a resort that was walking distance to the downtown area I might have liked it better.

I've done Riviera Maya in September (last week of Sept) and we had no rain or issues.  Hurricane season is so long and it's such a crapshoot I wouldn't avoid the area for that fear, just know that it is possible something could happen.  We got a really good deal during that time frame so it's nice to think about. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Caribbean in the fall.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards