Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Guest arrival music necessary?

I'm in the process of finding a DJ and our wedding is 5 hours long. To add in guest arrival music there will be an extra charge for 30 minutes. The thing is, we are getting married outside at a very scenic location in Colorado. My mom said guests will probably be talking about the scenery and not even pay attention to the music. Which is probably true.

Is/has anyone here not doing guest arrival music? Do you think it's fine to forgo that?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Guest arrival music necessary?

• CJM15CJM15 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I think your mom is right. If no music is playing, guests will visit with each other. I've been to weddings when there is no music playing before, and we all just sat and talked with one another. It's almost nice since you don't have to feel the need to whisper/talk over the music (or feel rude doing so). Besides that, when the music starts as the ceremony begins, you immediately get everyone's attention, which is kind of a cool idea. 

If you're worried about awkwardness, give a heads up to your ushers/guest book/greeters (if you have them). Ask them to do you a favor and be extra friendly to get some conversation flowing!

It sounds like a beautiful wedding! 
  • CJM15 said:

I think your mom is right. If no music is playing, guests will visit with each other. I've been to weddings when there is no music playing before, and we all just sat and talked with one another. It's almost nice since you don't have to feel the need to whisper/talk over the music (or feel rude doing so). Besides that, when the music starts as the ceremony begins, you immediately get everyone's attention, which is kind of a cool idea. 

If you're worried about awkwardness, give a heads up to your ushers/guest book/greeters (if you have them). Ask them to do you a favor and be extra friendly to get some conversation flowing!

It sounds like a beautiful wedding! 
    Thank you! That makes me feel better to hear from someone else that has been to weddings where that didn't play and it was still good. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't have any arrival music, or during the cocktail hour. We were outside at a mountain resort. It worked out perfectly fine.  
  • We did - totally worth it. People are still talking about the string duo at the ceremony who played pop songs while guests arrived (they still mignled and talked). Also, we had a live band at the cocktail hour. I feel live music really sets the tone for your wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards