Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Sandals St. Lucia Honeymoon Question

So husband and I are taking our honeymoon in May! We are going to Sandals St. Lucia La Toc. We heard that the drive to the resort from the airport is roughly an hour and a half and that the drive is unbearable (hilly, scary, windy, long). We have also heard that many couples can take the helicopter ride which is only about 15 minutes. Does anyone know the cost for the helicopter, if it's worth it and if other couples are just being picky about the drive? And if we do take the helicopter, do we need to book it in advance and where does it load, etc.?? Or do you think we're completely fine with taking the shuttle to the resort? Any information or oipnion will help! Thanks!

Re: Sandals St. Lucia Honeymoon Question

• Options
    I've never been there, but a quick google search gives these rates...

• Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes the shuttle takes a while and some find it scary (yes curvy, etc.) If you are at all prone to car sickness and take the shuttle I would recommend skipping the rum punch they offer at the sandals lounge in the airport. By the way the lounge is just outside the door to the airport (to the left I think) so you do not need a porter.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say the drive is scary at all, and I'm not sure about windy (unless you're on a motorcycle? IDK). It is long, though. Personally i really didn't find it uncomfortable -- Sandals has it's own service, so once you arrive at the airport and go through customs you go to a little lounge where there are snacks and drinks and a plush restroom, so you can wash up and get ready for the drive.

Also if i remember correctly, the helicopter only goes to the local airport, which is still another 10-15 minute drive, it doesn't actually touch down at the resort. 

That being said, we flew nonstop to St. Lucia in under 5hours -- if I was coming off of a connecting 8 hour flight, I'd probably opt for the helicopter too :)
  • Options
    We've been twice and are heading back next year (Grande not La Toc). 

Honestly, the drive was not that bad. If you get car sick, take some dramamin (sp?) about a hr before. Yes, there are bumps, hair pin turns and they drive fast. Remember, they do the drive day in and day out.  You trusted the pilot of the plane to get you there right? Well, trust the drivers. The drive was actually very scenic and we liked it. We summed it up to an added excursion :)

The drive to Whitehouse in Jamaica (we just came back from our second time there and it is also 1 1/2hrs from the airport) was worse. 

As for the heli, by my calculations, it would save maybe 10-20 min tops.  By the time you get out of the airport, go to the heli pad, finish paying, get situated, take off, land at the smaller airport, get a cab and take the 10-15 min. ride to the resort. Personally, not worth the added expense in my book. If you were going to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica, I would say yes, it's worth it as they do have a heli pad right at the resort but for S.L. no.

Where did you fly from and on what days to get a nonstop flight.  We are going back next year (3rd time) and I have as of yet to come across a nonstop.  We would be going out of Philly but could go out of Newark (NJ), Baltimore or JFK. We would be going Fri-Fri. I can't get to our exact dates until next month but have been checking as close as I can to them and....nothing nonstop.
  • Options
    Thank y'all so much! I think we are just going to take the shuttle. And if any can recall, what time is check-in at the resorts? 
  • Options
    Check in is 3:00pm check out is 11:00am
  • Options
    Jet Blue will go daily out of JFK during most of the year into UVF. Delta goes nonstop on Saturdays from JFK and United goes nonstop on Saturdays from EWR but not year round. 

I'm not nearly as familiar with PHL or BWI but I'm pretty sure no nonstops from there. 

What time of the year are you thinking of? Jet Blue is pretty much the worst with announcing flight schedules, and I'm not sure for how long Delta is doing the Saturday flights.

(not advertising, but I do work in travel -- I don't have flight schedules memorized for fun :D)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Jet Blue will go daily out of JFK during most of the year into UVF. Delta goes nonstop on Saturdays from JFK and United goes nonstop on Saturdays from EWR but not year round. 

I'm not nearly as familiar with PHL or BWI but I'm pretty sure no nonstops from there. 

What time of the year are you thinking of? Jet Blue is pretty much the worst with announcing flight schedules, and I'm not sure for how long Delta is doing the Saturday flights.

(not advertising, but I do work in travel -- I don't have flight schedules memorized for fun :D)
    We are going the beginning of March next year Fri-Fri

As I suspected from my research. Flights to UVF just plain ol' suck.

Jet Blue is to much of a pita as they refuse to release their scheduel like normal airlines (almost got screwed once trying to wait for them to release flights and yes, it was to UVF)

United I know nothing about and that would mean changing our reservation again (I just changed it yesterday to add a night)

Delta out of JFK might work but again, means changing our days

I'm guessing I will be sticking with American/US (that's who we always fly) out of PHL and sucking up the layover in MIA or CLT

Oh well, no biggie as long as we get there and back safetly right
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards