Wedding Party
Options

MOH dress

Now that I've found my wedding dress - yay! - I need to figure out something for my MOH to wear (I'm not having any other bridesmaids). Are there any rules/guidelines regarding length and style of bridesmaid dresses? I'm having an afternoon wedding that I guess would be considered semi-formal. Are long dresses okay, or should we go with something shorter? How much does her dress have to coordinate with mine style-wise? 

I plan on letting my MOH have a decent amount of input since I want her to feel good about the dress, and since we don't need to find something that looks good on 5 people. But I thought it would be helpful to get some guidelines (if there are any) before we started seriously looking. Thanks!

Re: MOH dress

• Options
    Honestly, when I was the MOH in a wedding with no other bridesmaids, the bride told me the wedding colors and that was it.

Is your MOH more comfortable with long or short? Why not just give her a color option or two or three and just let her find something in her budget on her own? Because there are no guidelines or requirements. Any cocktail dress is basically guaranteed to be appropriate and most less formal long dresses could work too.
  • Options
    I would just pick a color and let her choose her own dress.

• Options

Now that I've found my wedding dress - yay! - I need to figure out something for my MOH to wear (I'm not having any other bridesmaids). Are there any rules/guidelines regarding length and style of bridesmaid dresses? I'm having an afternoon wedding that I guess would be considered semi-formal. Are long dresses okay, or should we go with something shorter? How much does her dress have to coordinate with mine style-wise? 

I plan on letting my MOH have a decent amount of input since I want her to feel good about the dress, and since we don't need to find something that looks good on 5 people. But I thought it would be helpful to get some guidelines (if there are any) before we started seriously looking. Thanks!

I would say give her free reign. She doesn't have to coordinate with anyone else so it will be easier for her to be comfortable. So give her the colors of the wedding and then she can either go pick out a dress or you guys can go out, do a girl's day, and pick out something as well. If you want to pick a dress for her make sure to ask for her budget before selecting anything. Also, you could say "here are the theme colors, get a dress in this length, have fun!" So there are tons of options :-) Good luck and congrats on finding your dress! Please post pictures!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm gonna echo PP and say let her pick her own thing. If you were throwing any other type of party, would you choose your guest of honors' attire for them? (I know this situation is a bit different, but that's really how I think of it).

It doesn't matter how much her dress does or does not go with yours. Length, fabric, neckline, details, and whatever else are all open-ended. Let her pick what she loves and feels beautiful in :)

I have 5 BMs and they all picked their own dresses within a particular color palette. One is kind of an ankle length, one is tea length, and the other three are floor-length. They're all different styles, fabrics, and necklines. And the girls are picking whatever shoes, accessories, and hairstyles. I am so stuipdly excited to see them all dressed up in outfits that fit their own personal style, that they feel great in and look great in!
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses. I definitely want my MOH to be the one to ultimately choose the dress. While I do plan on making suggestions, I'd like to leave the final decision to her, since she's the one wearing it, not me. I just wanted to make sure that any length, etc. was okay before she and I talked about it any further, or before we went shopping together or she went on her own. But it sounds like pretty much anything goes, so that does make it easier. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards